Quantcast

Tires for Moab?

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
It's been 15 years since I was there last and I'm heading out there for a quick trip in March.

For slickrock itself, I used to use Specialized Fat Boy 1.9 tires with super low pressure. I've narrowed it down to two choices: Maxxis Hookworms in 2.5 or Ritchey Moby Bites in 2.1. I'm leaning toward the Hookworms...

Any input?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
bikeguy100k said:
It's been 15 years since I was there last and I'm heading out there for a quick trip in March.

For slickrock itself, I used to use Specialized Fat Boy 1.9 tires with super low pressure. I've narrowed it down to two choices: Maxxis Hookworms in 2.5 or Ritchey Moby Bites in 2.1. I'm leaning toward the Hookworms...

Any input?
We are heading down there the first of April! Fun Fun :)

Please someone give some imput on tire!!! Thanks

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
don't take the hookworms. you'll be carting all that extra weight for no real benefit. i forget what i ran (i think i had worn geax blade in the front, not sure of the rear tire) but they worked fine at bartlett and slickrock. just bring some worn-out fairly wide xc tires and i think you will be fine.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
listen to me good, i was out there in october would have ran the hookworm it would be perfect EXCEPT for the weight, like said above dont run it because of the weight. Instead you should order up a set of maxxis holly rollers, they are lightish 890 depends on what you call light ;) . and they roll fast without being too slick...I have a pair now and f'ing love them goodluck :thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Also, no one runs Stan's. The rocks are too sharp, according to Poison Spider..

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
*ANY* tire works well on slickrock. Whatever you've got will be fine. The grip of that $hit makes it irrelevant what tire's on the rim.

And every climb/descent on slickrock is do-able if you commit to it. I don't care what tires you have.

-S.S.-

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Woah. I was going to start a thread soon just like this one. I'm going sometime in April. I was gonna bring a couple different tires. Larsen TT's ??

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
SkaredShtles said:
*ANY* tire works well on slickrock. Whatever you've got will be fine. The grip of that $hit makes it irrelevant what tire's on the rim.

And every climb/descent on slickrock is do-able if you commit to it. I don't care what tires you have.

-S.S.-
:stupid:

I ran Fire XC Pros and only bailed on one climb.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-

:thumb: Sound advice. I used vertical pros and my husband had Panaracers---both were just fine---despite not being "slickrock" type tires. We also used Stans in our tubeless tires and did OK with that too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jozz said:
:stupid:

I ran Fire XC Pros and only bailed on one climb.
The Slickrock trail is a complete mental game. If you commit to getting over the front of the bike and trust that the rear tire *WILL* keep traction (because it will - it's almost impossible to lose traction) you can climb those crazy steep blobs.

It's fun. :p

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
The Slickrock trail is a complete mental game. If you commit to getting over the front of the bike and trust that the rear tire *WILL* keep traction (because it will - it's almost impossible to lose traction) you can climb those crazy steep blobs.
I agree. The only time I was there, I was running IRC Mythos. I let a bit of pressure out and don't remember spinning out on any climb I committed to.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
if you plan on riding porcupine rim, then don't worry about slicks, when I went 2 years ago we caught up with a group who was all running slicks and every one of them would have trouble in the techy spots where a little sand was covering the rocks, with knobbies I cleaned almost everything and I don't think it had anything to do with me being a better rider.