Quantcast

TIRES for my 99 Explorer Sport

I'm thinking about getting new tires and wondering what people are driving on these days.

I started on the now INFAMOUS Firestone Wilderness A/Ts but then Mr. Nasser was nice enough to buy me a brand new set of Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts. The Scorpions are ok. I know they are an agressive tread - and boy do they sound like it. I can handle the noise, I just think they are not as good in the snow as I had hoped. Don't get me wrong though - they are way better than the Firestones were.

I was thinking about maybe the Dunlop or Michelin A/Ts (overpriced, I know).

What do you think? (btw, they are 255 70 16s)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The best AT tire I've ever run is the Bridgestone Dueler AT (not the revo, the D693 standard AT). They are a bit pricey, but were great in everything except deep, unpacked snow (tread tended to pack with snow and lose traction). They were great in snow and slush, reasonable on ice, good in rain, and fine on dry roads. They did surprisingly well off-road too (if you care). I got about 45k miles out of my last set, and would probably still have them if I didn't upgrade to bigger, more aggressive tires.

An honorable mention goes to Cooper Discoverer SSTs.

Also, check out tirerack.com - they have tire owners rate tires, then they tabulate the results and compare tires. Here's the link.

And since BFG ATs are always highly recommended, I'll say this now - from my experience, the Duelers are FAR better than the BFG ATs, especially in the wet. The BFGs tended to hydroplane in standing water - the Duelers never even flinched.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I drove some BF Goodrich A/Ts and really liked them for offroading but they are a pretty aggressive tread for normal road driving.. What kind of use does your Explorer see? Any offroad?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:
BF Goodrich.

-S.S.-

Michelin or BF Goodrich (owned by Michelin).

I have always always had good mileage out of BFG's...

I've had bad bad performance from Goodyears/Dunlops/Cooper tires

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What kind of snow performance are we talking about? Like, living in the middle of nowhere driving on unplowed back country roads to work every day, or just the normal slush and small accumulation before the plows get out?

If we are talking unplowed roads, you might want something more aggressive than an AT... something that will clean better rather than filling up with snow. The Dueler MT is a good road MT - reasonable noise, decent mileage, etc. I currently have Firestone Desination MTs and I've been very impressed with they traction in the dry, wet, and snow. My road is the last road to get plowed, so I do spend some time on unplowed roads. I don't have a ton of miles on them yet so I can't guess how many miles I'll get out of them, but so far so good.

If it's the latter, then the Duelers are your tire. The Dueler Revos are an updated tread pattern based on the original Dueler. I have no experience with the Revos, but they are the hot tire right now, and I'm yet to read anything bad about them. Regardless, I can vouch for the original Duelers - great all-around tire. And I suspect that we experience similar road conditions during the winter.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
If you access to Les Schwab, I am a huge fan of their "house brand", Wild Country.

It has been my experience that they are a "far superior" (interepret that how you will), to the BF Goodrich, and they are very reasonably priced. I know several off-roady type guys (who don't know each other) who use them. When I was looking for tires for my cherokee, they all independently steered me towards the Wild Countrys.

And I was very happy with them. I got the Wild Country TXR's.... I'm actually think of ordering some from Seattle, and having them ship them to me in Montreal. They kick large amounts of ass.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
If we are talking unplowed roads, you might want something more aggressive than an AT... something that will clean better rather than filling up with snow. The Dueler MT is a good road MT - reasonable noise, decent mileage, etc. I currently have Firestone Desination MTs and I've been very impressed with they traction in the dry, wet, and snow. My road is the last road to get plowed, so I do spend some time on unplowed roads. I don't have a ton of miles on them yet so I can't guess how many miles I'll get out of them, but so far so good.

If it's the latter, then the Duelers are your tire. The Dueler Revos are an updated tread pattern based on the original Dueler. I have no experience with the Revos, but they are the hot tire right now, and I'm yet to read anything bad about them. Regardless, I can vouch for the original Duelers - great all-around tire. And I suspect that we experience similar road conditions during the winter.
I just bought new tires for my Tacoma, and went with the Firestone Destination AT's. So far, I'm happy with them. They replaced the so-so Goodrich Rugged Trails that were stock. The tread is moderately aggressive (not as aggressive at the MT's), and I was very impressed with their on-road noise and feel in my recent drive from Denver to St. Louis and back. Also, this morning all roads were snow/ice covered and they felt great.

I almost went with the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's, but I was on a pretty tight budget. I too haven't read anything bad about the Dueler Revo's. If I had a few more bucks, those would have been my new tires.

Check out http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews.asp for a whole bunch of tire reviews.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
just put a set of Bridgestone Dueler ATs on my 02 Exploder and i'm a happy, happy man. they are an aggressive looking tread, but they are as quiet as the goodyear wrangler stockers they replaced. crazy traction everywhere, dry, wet, hot, cold... tried spinning some doughnuts after an ice storm and felt like i was about to flip the truck they were gripping so well.

got 'em from tires plus, they were 40% off.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MtnBikerChk said:
I'm thinking about getting new tires and wondering what people are driving on these days.

I was thinking about maybe the Dunlop or Michelin A/Ts (overpriced, I know).

What do you think? (btw, they are 255 70 16s)
I have a 2000 Explorer Sport, with the same tire size. I bought Goodyear Wranglers at Sam's Club in November. They carry 5-6 different brands, and have the best prices that I have found. I'm sure BJ's Wholesale and Costco would have something similar. Anyways, the tires are +/- $100 each, and they have a package that includes all the BS stuff (valve stems, old tire disposal, mounting, etc) and you can get it all < $500 total. I think you get lifetime rotation and roadside assistance, as well.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
pixelninja said:
I just bought new tires for my Tacoma, and went with the Firestone Destination AT's. So far, I'm happy with them. They replaced the so-so Goodrich Rugged Trails that were stock. The tread is moderately aggressive (not as aggressive at the MT's), and I was very impressed with their on-road noise and feel in my recent drive from Denver to St. Louis and back. Also, this morning all roads were snow/ice covered and they felt great.
That's good to hear. I saw them on the shelf at the firestone shop a while back - tread looked good, but I hadn't heard anything about them.

Now new tires are imminent.

DO we like Toyo tires?

I've been very impressed by what I've been reading about the Bridgestones but they've got some bad press with recalls and what not. I spoke to a guy at our tire store and he said he'd stay away from them and recommended the Toyos. Tirerack doesn't sell those - they are $141/tire.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I'm a fan of BR Goodrich AT's, they're great off-road, and really good in the snow, but they are a bit loud on the road (but they handle just fine). If you're concerned about snow performance, I would reccommend having them siped, and you can usually bargain with them a bit to get it done for free.

I've never heard much about Toyos.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
If you had the pirelli scorpions, try Michelin LTX M/S. Pricey yes, but I had mine put on at 130k, wheeled with them and treated them like crap. I did rotate them every 5k though, and at 178k I still had a decent amount of life left on those tires. Great in the rain, decent in the snow, ice... well, can't really say much for ice. They seemed to do okay in the mud too for what they were. Just my .02.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Check out www.tirerack.com

They have reviews and feedback from people with the tires. I found it to be a great help last few time I have looked for tires, or like they say around here taars.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
MtnBikerChk said:
I've been very impressed by what I've been reading about the Bridgestones but they've got some bad press with recalls and what not. I spoke to a guy at our tire store and he said he'd stay away from them and recommended the Toyos. Tirerack doesn't sell those - they are $141/tire.
Which Bridgestone's are you talking about? I read that they recalled about 25,000 of the Dueler A/T (not Revo) manufactured between 1998 and 2002. Are there any other recalls besides this?

I know nothing about Toyos.

pixelninja said:
Which Bridgestone's are you talking about? I read that they recalled about 25,000 of the Dueler A/T (not Revo) manufactured between 1998 and 2002. Are there any other recalls besides this?

I know nothing about Toyos.

well I'm looking at the Revos but I don't know what the tire guy was talking about.

I found this with respect to the dueler recall:

THIS IS NOT A SAFETY RECALL IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SAFETY ACT. HOWEVER, IT IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN BY THE AGENCY. CERTAIN BRIDGESTONE DUELER A/T 693 TIRES SIZE LT285/75R16 LRD USED AS REPLACEMENT TIRES. THESE TIRES CAN EXPERIENCE A BELT DETACHMENT ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE BEEN OPERATED BELOW RECOMMENDED INFLATION PRESSURES FOR THE LOAD CARRIED BY THE TIRE OR ABOVE RECOMMENDED LOADS.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I have the Revos on my truck. Great tire in deep snow, standing water, and the moderate off-road they've seen. Much quieter than the Michelin LTS A/Ts I had on my old truck and showing no signs of wear after 10k of spirited driving. They are comfortable (and mine are 10ply), stick in the turns and are smooth at high speeds.

Not sure how they work on a lighter vehicle though. My truck has all kinds of gravity helping keep the tires planted. Pricey but worth it if you're going to keep the vehicle for 4-5 years.

for those who like closure....

This weekend I purchased the Revos..... I was all excited because it was supposed to DOWNPOUR Saturday and I really wanted to splash around and test the wet traction.

Well, it hardly rained at all and this week is supposed to be beautiful.

So far, the one thing I can say is - they are SO quiet compared to the Pirellis.

Thanks for the help all!

btw, they are filled with nitrogen at no extra charge! BOOYAH!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
MtnBikerChk said:
for those who like closure....

This weekend I purchased the Revos..... I was all excited because it was supposed to DOWNPOUR Saturday and I really wanted to splash around and test the wet traction.
Cool. I'm really interested in what you think of them after a few thousand miles.

McGRP01 said:
I told IAB to get out the camera but it was dark when my mom left last night. I can take some tonite if you really want to see them. They look cool with the blue lettering (before it wears off).

NITROGEN (from an explorer forum)

Pure nitrogen resists heat build up and transfer in tires better than air, doesn't hold moisture as well as air, and wont leak out of tires as fast as air. Nitrogen is used in airplane tires and heavy use commercial tires.

They can be topped off with AIR if I have to and then Costco said they could purge the air out and refill with nitrogen. FOR FREE!