Quantcast

TIRES for my 99 Explorer Sport

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You can do a Google search to pull up tons of information, but basically, nitrogen has more mass than air, so the tire tends to lose pressure slower, and it reduces (eliminates?) the water vapor in the tire so the tire runs cooler and at more even temperatures.

It also reduces oxidization of the wheel but I don't usually rust out my wheels, I'm not sure if you guys do :D

It's definitly got some benefits, but I'm not sure if they're particularly significant. Your tire will still lose pressure, though slower, so you still need to check your tire pressure, and when you re-fill it, you either need to find a place that will fill it with nitrogen, or put air in it which reduces the benefits. I'm not sure how much the temperature thing affects tire wear.

Oh, can I just mention, there was a big thing at my local tire place that was saying how great nitrogen was since it was non-flammable? :D How often do you see car tires exploding into flames because they were filled with air?!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
You can do a Google search to pull up tons of information, but basically, nitrogen has more mass than air, so the tire tends to lose pressure slower, and it reduces (eliminates?) the water vapor in the tire so the tire runs cooler and at more even temperatures.
the mass difference is pretty negligible though...10 g per cubic meter. i'd say the dryness content could be a factor, but it all depends on the compressor. you can certainly get compressed air w/ a very low dew point as well.

i say fill 'em w/ helium and get better mileage. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMike said:
Nitrogen is more massive than air? Air is 80% Nitrogen. N2 has a lower molecular mass than O2.... how would that happen?
Yeah, you're right (I had reversed my weights... was going on memory). I just did a bunch of reading on the subject (can you tell I'm not feeling productive at work today?) and haven't found any solid scientific evidence that it would make a difference on normal car tires. Lots of anecdotal theories, though.

There's some talk about the physical size of the N2 molecule being greater than O2 but, again, nothing specific or reliable.

Anyone have any good sources?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i did a quick check and for whatever reason (packing density? weak van der waal forces?), the density of nitrogen is actually greater than air, despite the presence of the heavier O2 in the air.

oxygen alone is heavier than nitrogen (1.429 kg/m3 vs 1.2506 kg/m3).

where's toshi? my physical chemistry class was over 2 decades ago.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Too lazy to go through the thread, but I'd be checking out some Geolander AT +II's. I've had Scorpion A/T's, BFG AT TKO's, and Wrangler RT/S's on the Cherokee, Geolanders are the best winter tire with better summer road manners than all as well. The only place they are displaced from the top of the heap are in rain by the Scorp's, they were a better rain tire.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
Yeah, you're right (I had reversed my weights... was going on memory). I just did a bunch of reading on the subject (can you tell I'm not feeling productive at work today?) and haven't found any solid scientific evidence that it would make a difference on normal car tires. Lots of anecdotal theories, though.

There's some talk about the physical size of the N2 molecule being greater than O2 but, again, nothing specific or reliable.

Anyone have any good sources?
Your avatar has never been more appropriate. :D