Quantcast

Tires for Sandy conditions?

PKock

Chimp
May 5, 2005
Alliston, Ontario
Hey guys just wanted to get your opinions on some decent tires for running around int the sand. The trails i'm on have alot of retty sandy sections and my tires just bog right down. Oh yeah i'm riding a 2004 Jamis Dakar just for reference. Thanks in advance for your advice.
PK

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
I ride in Allaire state park in NJ, which is notorious for it's loose sandy trails. I have found after 6 years of trying different tires that Kenda Kinetics work the best. The 2.35 version of the tire bites deep and holds in the sand, and they have enough volume to keep you from sinking in too far. They also cost a bit less than most other tires. And if you don't have use for the sticky rubber version , the regular rubber compund will last a very long time.Good luck. :thumb:

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
When I was in Florida, our trails have a tendancy to have lots of "sugar sand". Kenda Blue Grooves worked well and so did the Kinetics...it just depends on how you're gonna hit the sand trap. On really bad trails, I used to put Kolossal on the rear and work it like a paddle wheel.

There also 2 different school of thought...a thicker tire to surf it or a thinner tire to cut through...I never notice a real difference except the bigger tire drifted more.

we used to just slow up right before it, get in granny gear and then just stride it out.

Sput-

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
I rode those Kolassal's for a while. Man are those things heavy. I think Kenda has them listed with an MSRP of 5 dollars on their website so if you like them buy them up before they are gone. I don't think they will be made anymore. They have been replaced by the BG and the Nevegal. :thumb: