Quantcast

Tires for Santa Cruz area

SCTreeHugger

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
What tires do you run for the Santa Cruz redwood forest in the spring/summer months?

riding - Agressive XC (whatever that means)
trails - demo/UC/etc

Thanks!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There are plenty of good tires for that stuff. I think of it as being "all-mountain," meaning you need something light enough to climb fairly far and steep but also something burly enough to handle some rocks and light DH. I like something in a 2.3 to 2.4 with fairly strong sidewalls like the Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal, Specialized Enduro Pro, etc.

Whoaohohohoh

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
santa cruz
well i can tell you one tire to avoid, i hate my 2.5 wierwolves they can't hold a turn for anything, and they don't clear out mud at all. I can't wait to replace them with something else, like the panaracer fire 2.5's

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Whoaohohohoh said:
well i can tell you one tire to avoid, i hate my 2.5 wierwolves they can't hold a turn for anything, and they don't clear out mud at all. I can't wait to replace them with something else, like the panaracer fire 2.5's

hmmm I always had good luck with those around here.

One tire I really liked for UC/Demo was the Maxxis single ply Minnion 2.3". I never had any flats they held well on all the trails. I'd reccommend them.

Raacerx

Monkey
scurban said:
hmmm I always had good luck with those around here.

One tire I really liked for UC/Demo was the Maxxis single ply Minnion 2.3". I never had any flats they held well on all the trails. I'd reccommend them.
Another vote for the Maxxis single ply Minion Supertacky 2.3". But Im still a firm believer that the Maxxis Supertacky Highroller is the best tire made in existence. Perfect balance of traction, rolling, braking, drifting, and works better in the wet then the Minion.

My friends all swear by the Specialized Chunders. Im trying to get a pair to try, but they are similar to and designed by, the guy who designed the High Roller.

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
ya 2.3 chunders kick ass in SC, not to many rocks or roughness, so you can get away with a singleply 60compound 2.3 chunder, its works good