Quantcast

Tires for Sugar?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
What are the conditions like at Sugar? What all are people running for traction out there?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
im running minions but im one of the few. they were great last year cause well it was a rare conditions last year. im prolly gonna be at a dissadvantage but we will see.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
minions will do fine but you better let the preassure out of them in my opinion. also i think that running the stickier compound will give us a big advantage on the rock face if your starting up there. but that is just my two cents.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
frznnomad said:
minions will do fine but you better let the preassure out of them in my opinion. also i think that running the stickier compound will give us a big advantage on the rock face if your starting up there. but that is just my two cents.
Yeah, my buddies who run Maxxis all like the Minions there.

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
I ran the Highrollers last weekend there and they were amazing. 2.7 frt and 2.5 rear with Stans No tubes. 18 psi in frt and 22 in the rear. No flats Knock on wood.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I agree with the Highrollers. I don't believe in tubeless for heavy riders like myself. Seems like it would be too easy to burp a tire at lower air pressures. I've seen it happen to the same person too much.

2.7 Highrollers with Maxxis DH tubes. My fat butt got away with 20psi at Massanutten without a problem.

It wouldn't hurt to bring a set of mud tires too.

TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
im running a High Roller in the rear but dont know what i will run in the front yet because i dont want to run my Kujo because it sucks in the mud

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
If its gonna be mud, I am sticking with my Swampthings. If its going to dry down, I am going to get a comp 16 in the rear, and a 32 up front.

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
swampthings are a must if it's muddy. But, the highrollers have great cornering and traction at Sugar and handle well. I still have an unused Mobster 2.7. I've ran them on the front at Sugar and loved them too.

Hey peete, the Stans No Tubes has been awesome for me so far. Never lost air pressure all day at Sugar last weekend running 18 and 22 frt and rear with highrollers. I weigh in at 195-200 with gear FWIW!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
TCP21 said:
i dont want to run my Kujo because it sucks in the mud
you've got that right! i ran 24x3.0 kujo's a few years ago at sugar. it was like someone sprayed WD-40 on my tires.

my high rollers did fine last year, nothing short of 2" spikes is very grippy on those wet off-camber sections of lizards lane though. unless your herndon or something, then the laws of physics don't apply :think:

TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
i bought a Michelin All Mountain Expert so i hopefully should be fine, i hope but the kujo is in the front and its bald so yeah its got to go

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
whats the story on the slalom course? is it still non-exsistant??? am i gonna see stakes in the grass like snowshoe last year??? trying to decide what tires to bring with me......

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Good question. I ended up running some Nevegals at the Otter after running Larsen's the first day, which really sucked. The Nevegals aren't bad in the wet, but if its all crap mud/grass, I am going to run some more swamp things on my DS bike. Damn mud, go away.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Murphy's Law said:
whats the story on the slalom course? is it still non-exsistant??? am i gonna see stakes in the grass like snowshoe last year??? trying to decide what tires to bring with me......
I just got an email from someone who was up there yesterday.

The DS course is still "a pile of wood for the start and lots and lots of grass."

Sounds like it's going to be a ghetto gate and a bunch of sticks stuck in the ground.
If it totally sucks when we get up there, I may hang a left and drive to Bigfoot.

Hey Murph, we rode Chuck's today for practice. Now that's a dual slalom:agree:

The DS is on the very left slope. Kim at Sugar said Norba is building it on Tuesday - sounds like sticks in the grass to me, but I have heard two different stories niether of which I believe. Not paying my money to race until I see it with my own eyes.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Wonder if its going to be like the sea otter all over.

"Whoops, too wet to run this line, let's make mud ruts in the grass and see how it works out, then have the outrun all mud with a 3 second differential on a 15 second diff course"

NORBA is rapidly getting brighter then Teddy Kennedy on a wet road with a hooker...