Quantcast

Tires for Whistler

bronze09

Chimp
Jun 22, 2007
Whistler is opening in a few weeks and I am looking to buy a set of tires to run just for Whistler this season. I like to ride all the trails - so I need something good for dirt merchant/aline and everything up garbo and have mavic 823 rims so I am looking for a UST tire or one that works with the 823s and a little stans.

My primary concern is good grip/cornering, secondary is weight and rolling resistance. I am looking for a fairly wide 2.5 tire (or maybe even a 2.7 for the front?).

What are the best tires for Whistler?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Whistler is opening in a few weeks and I am looking to buy a set of tires to run just for Whistler this season. I like to ride all the trails - so I need something good for dirt merchant/aline and everything up garbo and have mavic 823 rims so I am looking for a UST tire or one that works with the 823s and a little stans.

My primary concern is good grip/cornering, secondary is weight and rolling resistance. I am looking for a fairly wide 2.5 tire (or maybe even a 2.7 for the front?).

What are the best tires for Whistler?
I ran Kenda Nevegal 2.5 Stick-E's on 823's all last season up there. Never had an issue.

Dunno bout tubleless though.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
when you say season, how many days do you expect the tire to last?

1, 5, 10 or 100 days? I think if you want them to last 20+ days and still have edges, your going to need to go with a higher durameter than most people would race on. Maybe 60D or higher.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
1 hard weekend can kill a soft rear tire. A 60 comp Minion DHF makes a great rear tire as they hove lots of rubber and wear well.
Something soft for the front will keep you upright on the garby roots.

bronze09

Chimp
Jun 22, 2007
Thanks - I'll probably go with the minion DHF, but I was also looking at michelins - maybe running the DH32 in the front.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i ran a minion f 2.35 or 2.5 in the back and a either a cut minion r 2.5 or a 2.5 minion f up front all last year ridin almost everyday for 3 months. money set up's for the mtn. just had to replace them every 2 weeks or so

MxPw17_rr

Chimp
May 4, 2004
Tahoe
Thanks - I'll probably go with the minion DHF, but I was also looking at michelins - maybe running the DH32 in the front.
The 32 is a sick tire, especially for super fast trails like Whistler. They are a bit sluggish anywhere that involves pedaling however... Michie 16 on rear with 32 front or 16 F&R in my opinion, love how they just hookup and tear trails apart.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ran Minion F on the F&R and I also ran Nevegals 2.5s F&R. The Minions blew the Nevegals away on Garby

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Like others have said, the DHF is a great tire for Whistler (or all around for that matter). 60D will last the longest. You would have good results with a 3C up front.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
I second the michelin 32. They are a little heavy at 1450 grams but last forever. I don't spend all my time at whistler but I've had that tire on the front of my bike for over a year now.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Have you guys suggesting Michelin 32's ever ridden Garbonzo in the wet? which it is most of the time.You need something sticky like a 3C Minion or a Michelin Comp 16

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I would look into the Michelins but not the 32. I have not ridden Whistler so I cannot recommend a specific tire. With my experience Michelins last longer than Maxxis. They have the same grip as the soft Maxxis tires but wear much better.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Have you guys suggesting Michelin 32's ever ridden Garbonzo in the wet? which it is most of the time.You need something sticky like a 3C Minion or a Michelin Comp 16
You do realize that the mich 16 and 32 are made of the exact same rubber???

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I would look into the Michelins but not the 32. I have not ridden Whistler so I cannot recommend a specific tire. With my experience Michelins last longer than Maxxis. They have the same grip as the soft Maxxis tires but wear much better.
I have gotten pretty good wear from the 3Cs, but in general I agree mich last much longer than the 40 or 42a Maxxis tires.

For the most part, a cut 24 would be the call for whistler in the Mich line. It is occasionally sloppy enough for a 16, but for the most part, the really sloppy organic dirt is all gone from the trails (there is still some up top).

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
If you're buying anything else other than 2.5 front minions for riding whistler, you're ****ing up.

3c's run the best because it rains, but 60's work good on a budget. It's not worth riding anything else.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
I have dhf 2.7 3c front and dhr 2.5 60d rear. You can really tell the difference between the compounds. The rear still has those little nipple things while the front is already worn a bit.

bronze09

Chimp
Jun 22, 2007
I was set on the DHF 3C 2.7 but then I started reading about the new maxxis ardent and am thinking about it in 3C 2.6 (same as old 2.7) - anyone have experience with this tire?

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah I'll be running a cut Comp 16 front and stock Comp 24 rear.

Perfect.

If you're buying anything else other than 2.5 front minions for riding whistler, you're ****ing up.
If you're making blanket statements like this, you're ****ing up.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
This applies more to the drier months, but nothing kills a tire quicker than hucking off the GLC and skipping to a stop for the ladies... Unless yer carrying out to the flats, you're not a unique and special snowflake. And patching tubes you pull from the trash will save you $10 (1.2 beers).

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
been wondering this same thing,
i am coming from the uk beginning of june for 3 months,
is it worth me bringing a spare tyre? i have heard they are rediculous prices in whistler?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Yes!!! every trip I bring several tires just in case. Retail on many things up there are twice what mail order is here in the states.

$ 100 US mich tires.......they are cheaper for my car.

bronze09

Chimp
Jun 22, 2007
I ordered the DHF 3C 2.7 for my front tire. I got it for a great price -$49.50 w/free shipping from www.ibikedoyou2.com (I also picked up a set of avid code 5s so my order was above the $99 min for free ship) :monkeydance: :monkeydance:

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Dude bring all of the some what worn sticky rubber tires laying in that the pile in your garage, and RUIN them by doing sweet lap after lap. The traction is sweet up there, save your money for important things like Beer..... which is very expensive in Canada, and critically important to have after a hard day of Schrapling.
That being said if I was to bring new tires, I would bring 3 Minion 3C DHF2.5's. Then I would have a spare in case of sidewall tear or whatever, or a fresh tire so when the rear wears out you can can keep your freshest tire in the front by transferring the hardly worn front Minion to the rear and installing the new one at the front.
Also, if you happen to be running non UST tires tubeless on your 823's and are using sealant like Stans, it drys out quickly on hot days. Bring extra sealant!

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Another thing. I suggest not running Hard compound tires up there, as the trails are pretty much all hard pan, granite slabs, rocks, and roots. Neither fresh, or worn knobbys dig in much in these conditons, but soft rubber, even on a worn out tire will hook up better then a hard compound will in my experience. Yes there are a couple of new trails they opened up at the end of last years that still have a little duff in them, which is where a fresh square knobby would be better, but they'll be beat down a few weeks after Garby opens anyway. Whenever that happens with all the late season snow they got.