Quantcast

Tires for wife's bike

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Hey kids,

We're moving out to Norfolk in January, and due to Katrina I am having to rebuild the wife's bike. Did new wheels, did a new fork, but I need to work out what tires I can run for her.

She's an intermediate free rider, doing drops under 30", and likes to bump along pretty good. Any advice?

Thanks!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i personnally love kenda tire (now if they would make a good trials tire)

hope to see you in january some time. i also live in norfolk for the time being. also ridetoofast lives in norfolk. one thing i will say is that there is not much in the way of free riding here.

cya dan

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
How is Williamsburg?

What is the dirt like there? Does it have an uber muddy season like we got used to in New Orleans?

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Buy her something pink. Girls like pink stuff. And stuff that's shiny, like bits of tinsel and Wrigley's Spearmint Gum wrappers. She won't know the difference.

Actually just buy her a purse, she'll like you more.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
HotButterToppin said:
Buy her something pink. Girls like pink stuff. And stuff that's shiny, like bits of tinsel and Wrigley's Spearmint Gum wrappers. She won't know the difference.

Actually just buy her a purse, she'll like you more.
:dead:
:mumble:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Sir_Crackien said:
i personnally love kenda tire (now if they would make a good trials tire)

hope to see you in january some time. i also live in norfolk for the time being. also ridetoofast lives in norfolk. one thing i will say is that there is not much in the way of free riding here.

cya dan
I see ya made it alive from NOVA...:thumb:

Saturday was insane!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I bought the purses.
I bought the shoes.
I bought the pink Chris King hubs and head set.
I bought the pink Terry Seat.
I am having a new Marzocchi powder coated pink.
I went to her mother's for Thanksgiving.
I got the Dirty Dog Mud Flap girl rotors for her bike.
I went into Macy's the day after Thanksgiving in San Francisco.

I am a damn fine husband. However, this does not answer my question about tires.

I was thinking that I might do some Weirwolves or some of the new Timber Wolves, but they're kinda heavy (for her). That's why I liked the Larsen TT's, but they're not the best in the damp.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
MudGrrl, I bet there's an empty kitchen nearby with your name on it.

----------------------------> go

For what it's worth (not much) I hate Timberwolves. Up at Snowshoe in September when it was bone dry and loose/rocky as hell I had a Timberwolf front that, at its earliest convenience, would wash out as soon as it was leaned over a bit. Piece of crap. The Minion rear was considerably better.

It gets the HBT Stamp, Baby.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I had been thinking about some Nokians, but the only issue there is weight. I ride 1100g tires, not a big thing. However, the wife is a bit, um, smaller then I am.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Maxxis has an array of 2.35 freeride tires that would get the job done. I'd recommend getting a soft compound to provide more grip. My wife loves the ST compound for freeriding & even though it does not roll as fast as the harder compounds it definitely makes up for it in handles. She stated that she's more than willing to suffer with pedaling the softer compound around provided she has more control.

One thing to look at with the other brand of tires is there durometer readings. A lot of the other brands will offer a "soft" tire but the compound is like 60 so is it really soft or just soft to them. If you do go with Maxxis the Minion front rocks.

When we go light freeriding I set her bike up with a 2.35 Highroller ST in the front & 2.0 Larsen TT in the rear. I know I recommended the Minion however Maxxis doesn't currently offer a 2.35 UST Minion...hopefully they will this year. She's used this set up on 5' drops to flat & it worked well for her with skinnies too.

Hope this helps!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the dirt is willaimsburg it actually really nice. when dry/damp it seem to be really tacky. a harder compound tire will probibly work much better than you would think. i would look in to the panaracers fire FR tire. its light and the tread pattern would be good for that kinda dirt. the soft compount don't really help much on plain dirt. they are good for rock root and things like that.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Tattooo said:
Ordered some Larsen TT's 2.35s for her, and some more DH tires for me. Thanks guys!

You're funny :) You asked for peoples opinions, and then bought what you were going to get anyway :D

But I do that all the time too, so I who am I to talk?

On the subject, My vote goes for Kenda Nevegals. I ride them for everything on my big bike. DH/FR/Street, they rule!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
A lot of folks I know suggested the Arrows, but I've seen them split on rocks and logs too easy.

yea, I am kinda stupid like that. I ask, then I do what I was going to do.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Anyone here ever tried running a Minion (front) / Lopes (rear) combo? Was just looking through Dirt magazine and noticed Sam Hill running that (or similar) combo in a shot sequence from Mammoth.