Quantcast

tires of the future?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
1. I made it about a minute.
2. How many sticks rocks and other **** are going to reak havoc on all those holes in the sidewall?
3. how terrible is this guy at going off a small rock ledge?
4. I am taking this way to seriously aren't i?

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
It looks like they don't deform at all...

For those who think airless tires are a good idea, have a think about how exactly you would make a structure to support the same load as a tire does, and how you'd make it as light as air.

Air is the cheapest and lightest spring you will ever find. In combination with a thin composite rubber membrane (aka a tire), it's also has the best combination of minimal energy loss (rolling resistance) and good grip. The pneumatic tire deforms rapidly to envelope terrain with almost no energy loss, and it weighs 600g -1200g depending on how tough you need it to be.

There's a reason the pneumatic tire has been around so long... Of course it can still be improved, but I think air will always be what carries the load.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
The only type of bicycle they could be used for, is city/commuter/all road bike, IMO You don't change tire pressure whenever you ride on sidewalk or tarmac (street).
It doesn't make sense for MTB, especially for DH.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I used to have solid rubber tires on my bike as a kid. Combined with a coaster brake, it was great for skids! :)

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I checked out their website. Traction on those things would be scary on a car in winter. Very little contact patch.

Road and XC they'd be ok, but I don't know about DH.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
LOL, that guy really ran those tires through the ringer. They might work ok on hard-pack but can you imagine what they would ride like once water and dirt got in there? I agree, street and XC on dry days but that's about all I can see them "working" on.

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
That look nice for hipsters on their fixed bikes, because the rest of the people likes to play with the air pressure.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
On vitalmtb it does say that a thin full coverage sidewall is available to stop rocks, mud etc getting in.

Agreed it doesn't look promising for DH until the tyre deformation issue is sorted. Then they'd have to chart 'effective psi' by rider weight so you could choose the version you wanted. Or maybe you could set the deformation amount yourself (like insoles) by putting then in the oven. That'd go well...