Quantcast

Tires, what are you running and why?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
For what kind of biking? Here's my setup because I'm bored.

Street/Urban/DJ/Park/Light Trails - 2.3 Maxxis SemiSlick High Rollers. Fast, light, solid.

XC/Light FR - 2.3 Intense Edge. Seem hard, track well.

DH/Racing - Not sure, but here are all my options that are sitting in my garage.
2.7 Mobster (2)
2.7 Intense FRO (2)
2.6 IRC Kujo
2.5 Intense Dual-Ply
2.5 Minion (2)
2.5 Intense Fro (2)

So who knows. :p

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
COmtbiker12 said:
For what kind of biking?
It doesn't matter. I run all different kinds of tires. I consider myself a trail rider. I usually run XC tires but have been known to try other stuff. If you run DH tires and want to tell us about it. I'll listen. Thanks.....jdcamb

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Trail bike = 2.35 Blue Groove Stick-E Front, 2.35 Nevegal Stick-E rear. The 2.35s are single-ply and not too heavy. The Nevegal is just a great tire and hooks up in anything, he tread pattern on the BG I think adds a little more cornering ability when in the front.

XC = 2.0 Karma DTCs F&R. Fast rolling! The Dual Tread compound offers a 60d in the center and Stick-E on the outer knobs so it rolls fast and really grabs in the corners. The 60d also wears pretty well.

DH = 2.5 Nevegals Dual-ply F&R. These tires just flat out rock for DH. :thumb:

And I'd like to thank my sponsor KENDA for all their support!!! :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
WTB Timberwolf DH FR and RR.

Why? Because Maxxis tires suck ass!!!

Actually I was running Maxxis Mobsters for a little while and they wouldn't stick to anything. I got mad and went into retro grouch mode cursing about how there hasn't been a decent tire made since the original Panaracer Smokes and how all these new fangled tires are just too foo foo and to give me some big fat ol knobbies anyday and all that... So I went looking for some nice fat tires with big fat 'ol knobs and found the WTB tires. I bought a Timberwolf (DH version. Sticky rubber, "inner peace" sidewalls) and a Weirwolf (Kevlar bead, standard XC/trail tire) Timberwolf went on the front and the Weirwolf went on the back. They both stick to the trail like nobodys business, but the main trails I am on are very rocky and the Weirwolf pinch flatted a bit too easy for me (I am on a hard tail) so I went with Timberwolf tires front and rear. No flats and they grip better than a pimps hand on his ho's neck. They are heavy since they are DH tires but for now I don't care. (I am on an anti weight weenie kick right now). Eventually I will likely go back to some lighter tires but for now I am just super happy to have my bike go where I tell it to.

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
Ciaran said:
I got mad and went into retro grouch mode cursing about how there hasn't been a decent tire made since the original Panaracer Smokes and how all these new fangled tires are just too foo foo and to give me some big fat ol knobbies anyday and all that...
Ya know, they still make the Smokes + Darts for the retro set. And don't give up on Maxxis - you were prolly running the 300a durometer XC version of mobsters, which grip about as well as riding wooden cart wheels. I ran softer-compound Maxxis for years in LA, and they friggin rocked on everything in the San Gabriels.

That said:

Freeride - SRY Minion 2.7 front; High Roller 2.5 rear
Trail - in transition* - 2.4 panny FR right now, but I'm having stan's issues - they are a bitch and a half to seal on rhyno lites
commuter - Geax something or others. Fast as fock.

*semi-related: is this not the biggest stan's booger you have ever seen? this came out of my year-old high roller on my trailbike. Sort of looks like a chicken.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I run black tires with knobbies on em ;)

2.4 Motoraptors on the trail bike, because someone gave them to me (free baby!) They suck & I don't care 'cause I'm poor

2.35 & 2.5 Intense 909 EX 2 ply 60d on the DH bike. They are OK, If they made sticky ones in the EX casing I'd be stoked.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1. I like them because they are reasonably priced and are a good all around XC tire.

For freeriding, I'll throw on Maxxis Minion Slow Reezays 2.25. The stickiness of those tires is awesome.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
99% of the time I run conti verticals, but you probably know that. Early in the season I run Ritchey ZMaxs, but they are only good in straight ahead slop. I've been itching to try some Nevegals.

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
Intense 2.5 World Cup, DH, and Edge with Intense DH tube.

Why? I never get flat with these combination.

Maxxis with DH tube? Flat. Intense DH 4 ply tires with XC tube? Flat.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I am a trail rider as well (SC Heckler) Upfront I run the older 2.5 WTB Weirwolves. I say older because in 2005, they resized them. The older version 2.5s are more like 2.35. The race version is only 720 grams available all over online for like $25 and with Stans performs very well as tubeless. In the rear I run a Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0. I absolutely love this combo so much I have bought no less then 3 extra sets just waiting to be put on.

Front

Rear

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
On my Blur for XC/Enduro riding I use Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25's with Stans on my "race" wheels, and Conti Vertical's with Stan's on my "winter/icky weather" wheels.

I really like the Racing Ralph's, their light for a 2.25 tire (~550 grams), durable - not one problem with them during my 9 hour Ouachita Challenge ride (lots of rocks), and they roll fast (the German bike mags say so).

On my hardtail I'm running Conti Explorer Pro's w/ tubes.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
I've got Kenda Kinetics Stick-e 26 x 2.6's on my Bullit. They're wide, sticky and have a kevlar bead so they're lighter than the Maxxis Hi-Roller 2.35's they replaced.

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
For XC and general trail riding I have been running Continentals for a few years now. Explorer/Escape combo or Verticals. They are light and grip pretty well.
I now people that switch tires all the time depending on where they are riding or racing, but I pretty just stick with these tires for everything.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I am a trail rider as well (SC Heckler) Upfront I run the older 2.5 WTB Weirwolves. I say older because in 2005, they resized them. The older version 2.5s are more like 2.35. The race version is only 720 grams available all over online for like $25 and with Stans performs very well as tubeless. In the rear I run a Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0. I absolutely love this combo so much I have bought no less then 3 extra sets just waiting to be put on.

Front

Rear
Wow, I run the same setup, except with a Larsen 2.35 out back. I even have the old Weirwolfs that are an undersized 2.5. No complaints, except that the Weirwolf is so hard to get on and off the cheap Ditchwitch rim I have on the front (and the rhynolite I had previously) that I have to use slime to avoid having to change it on the trail. Anyone else have this problem? It's WTB tires and Sun rims, I guess.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Michelin Hot S 2.2. I like the tires, but sidewalls are pretty weak. I'm gonna try the new X'Trem version soon and see if they are improved.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Captain Cogset said:
For XC and general trail riding I have been running Continentals for a few years now. Explorer/Escape combo or Verticals. They are light and grip pretty well.
I now people that switch tires all the time depending on where they are riding or racing, but I pretty just stick with these tires for everything.
I ran Escape for the winter tubeless. It was great. I am considering putting it back on after mud season. It is the best technical climbing rear tire I have ever used. It is also pretty good on wet logs......

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
XC/Trail- Usually Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 UST on both ends. Right now, the front wheel is having issues so I have a Conti in the back and a Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 in front with a tube. The Contis are awesome tires for mixed conditions and all around riding. Light enough, wide enough and grippy in mud and hardpack. I've also never flatted with them (UST rims and a little Stans).

DH- I have options:
Comp 32 2.8
Comp 16 2.5 or 2.2
Nevegal 2.7, 2.5
Blue Groove 2.5, 2.35
Intense DH 2.7
Swampthing 2.35
Michelin Mud3 2.2
Gazzi Jr. 2.6

Most of last year, I ran a Comp 32 front/Comp 16 2.5 rear but switched it up a bit. This year, I think I'll mostly use a Nevegal 2.7/2.5 or a 2.5 BG/Nevegal combo. Probably Mud3/Swampthing for mud races.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
As I have said before... hehe.

Conti Vert pro 2.3 (front only because it loses knobs in the rear due to slippage when climbing in the rocks, dry season): Tracks really well, brakes pretty well, corners better than any I have ever used, and its light for a 2.3. a little pricey, not huge air volume (2.3 wide but slight lower profile than most).

Trail Bear rear (rear dry season): Good air volume for a 2.3 (something I like in a rear tire), Large & Sturdy knobs, corners pretty well, inexpensive. A little heavy not good in the mud, not good at all.

Conti Vert Pro 2.3 (front and rear wet season and in the fall): indestructable huge knobs, unmatched mud shedding, unmatched penetration (great for leaves, mud or soft soil), great cornering in the soft stuff, climbs good in loose or buried rocks, its light for a 2.3 too. Not a large air volume (like the verts they are 2.3 wide but kind of low profile), not a lot of surface contact on hard surfaces due to tall, very widely spaced knobs (no grip on flat slippery surfaces, i know most tires dont but these are awful), a little pricey.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Enginerd A2 said:
Anyone else have this problem? It's WTB tires and Sun rims, I guess.
You have never had a hand cramp until you have tried to change a tire on a SUN DS-1. OMG, the only way to do it is to use 2 levers. If I get a front flat on the trail I am like FACK!!!!!! I have Rhyno lites too, not nearly as bad... not even close. Had some Mavic some years back, and it was S. loads easier.

J

JRB

My Kenda Kinetics USTs r0x0rs like a mofo. They were awesome today. I mounted them last night in just minutes with no levers or soap.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
maxxis minion 2.5

super tacky fr and slow rezzay in the rear.

was meant to be slow rezzay all around but acording to some monkeys this is actually the way to go i dont know. but maxxis has always had a good rep and are really fast rolling and awsome cornering tires. i love them . they do have a little bit of problems in then soppy conditions but not too to bad. and the maxxis team, intense team, and ironhorse team all run minions so they have to be good.lol

only downside is the fact that they cost 100 bucks for 2 of them unless you work at a shop.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Maxxis high rollers 2.5 on my Bullit

Maxxis Minion 2.35 on my Enduro

i dunno tires are tires as long as the nobs are agressive and spaced apart enough for the mud to shed it's all good.

i like smokes though i might just go back to a Panaracer Smoke for the rear in the summer, and keep the Maxxis up front. Maxxis are pretty small tires their 2.35 is like a big 2.2 and their 2.5 is like a 2.4......

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

Front

Rear
Rob,

Have you thought about running the Larsen 2.35s front & rear? When my Hansventures wear out, tha's what I plan on running.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Trail-Minion 60D 2.5s
DH/FR-Minion SRY 2.7/2.5

Since Maxxis is discontinueing the SRY, I will be running Nevgal/Bluegroove 2.5s next year. Unless Maxxis pulls their heads out and keep making the SRY or come up with another compound.