Quantcast

Tires

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
hrmmmm.......what about trying a set of Panaracer Cinders? I've heard they are good. OR Maybe Panaracer Rampage tires.

Try something new and report back to us. ;)

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
I have runned, Hutchinson Spider 2.1, Maxxis Ignitor 1.9, Michelin XL 2.0, Hutchinson Mosquito 1.8 all UST (when rode tubeless), now have WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4's and a rigid fork on its way.

The best all around performers where the Ignitors, best foul weather where the Mosquitos.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm running Conti Vertical Pros front and back. I love the way they hook up in corners and, so far, they handle everyplace I ride well. I went with the Maxxis Ignitors for my 29er because the tread is very similar to the Vertical Pros and I wanted something predictable.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Vertical Pros are nice tires too - good call BG!

On my 29er wheels right now I've got a Kenda Klaw rear tire in back and a Rampage 29er in front (that looks to be a nice tire for a rigid fork on a 29er). Now the wait for the UPS guy begins. At least I have a tracking number to track now!

Feb 13, 2006
What tires do you guys run on your SS's? I have 4 bikes and each one has a different tire. I like the Nevegals I have on my Cake, but I'm not sure I want them on my SS. What are your thoughts?
Do you think your tires know whether the bike they're on is SS or geared? Or whether the bike is a hardtail or FS? Or whether you use a rigid fork or a suspension fork?

I don't know why you would have 4 different MTBs with 4 different tires. Other than DH casing tires for DH riding/racing or other riding in really choppy terrain where flats are commonplace, I don't see any reason to run a different tire just because it's a different bike.

I have Nevegals on all my MTBs, 2 FS bikes (5" and 6" travel bikes) and 2 hardtails (26" gearie and 29" SS). If you're riding hard, pushing the tires pretty hard, it helps to know your tires. Riding 4 bikes with 4 different tires means that there's a lot of adjustment going on when you ride. I'd rather just ride and not have to adjust my riding based on the tire's propensity to corner differently, etc.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Clarification: I have semi-slicks on my hardtail (commuting bike), Nevegals on my Cake (all mountain) Panaracer Fire FR Pro on my Craftworks (freeride) and IRC Seracs on my SS.

Each bike is used in a different manner. My cake is a faster bike than my Crafrworks, so I have a more predictable tire on it. My freeride bike is meant to save me when I do something stupid, big fat knobbies help. I ride my SS differently than I ride my Cake, and my hardtail rarely sees dirt.

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
hrmmmm.......what about trying a set of Panaracer Cinders? I've heard they are good. OR Maybe Panaracer Rampage tires.

Try something new and report back to us. ;)
I ran Panaracer Cinders on my rigid SS this year and they were perfect. I had the 26 x 2.25 front and back. I tried several tires in 26 x 2.1's and they were too harsh. I also tried a set of Bonty Earl which were 26 x 2.4 but it made the bike feel like I was riding on balloons.

I was going to try and get my hands on a pair of WTB WeirWolf's in a 26 x 2.3. I like the tread pattern and the weight seemed good.

Can't go wrong with the Kendas. I run the Nevegal and Blue Groove on my DH bike. They are super sticky but wear fast. Be sure to get a higher durometer.

I might even try to get my hands on a set of Bontrager Big Earls in a 26 x 2.3. I run the 2.5's on my Switch and I have 2.7's for the DH bike too. I love these tires, probably the best trail tire I have ever ridden.

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
On a side note, I just took a ride on my 'cross bike during lunch. I had recently put the 700 x 35C Panaracer Cinder X tires on it. Man what a difference. They have a great ride and aren't supersketch on the snow and road cracks like what I had previous. It reminds me of when I first got the Cinders on my SS. Great tire and you won't be disappointed.