Quantcast

Tires?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I have a cross bike with cross tires, but would like some dedicated road tires too. I'm a very recreational rider and won't be putting any big miles on, therefore, the tires must be easy to change (Kevlar) and not too expensive.

Recommendations?

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
I have a cross bike with cross tires, but would like some dedicated road tires too. I'm a very recreational rider and won't be putting any big miles on, therefore, the tires must be easy to change (Kevlar) and not too expensive.

Recommendations?
I've been using the Vittoria Zaffiro Pro for two almost two years now and I like them. They came stock on my bike though so I have zero basis for comparison.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16524&subcategory_ID=5420

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I love the Vredstein Fortezza SE -- you can get them at performance for $25. They handle really well in tough curves, but damn, they don't last very long.

I like the Specialized Armadillos I just got, but I haven't taken them into the mountains yet, so not sure about handling. I have ridden through a buttload of glass and they were fine.

If you just want an inexpensive tire, try the lower-end Continentals. They work well and last.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
tough to say what brands to stay away from, usually want to make sure you keep a hi thread count though, thats helps make the tires more supple and flat resistant. So far my personall favorites are Maxxis with a 120 tpi and the vittorias with ther 220 TPI. My perosonal dislike at this time is the continental grand prix, 80 tpi and its a Natural rubber compound. Not very flat resistant, and and wears very fast. But at the same time it works hi speed velcro in a corner. Sounds like it too!!!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Cool. So what are the good brands of tires and which ones should I avoid?
While people tend to hate on Trek and Bontrager I highly recommend the Bontrager Hardcase Race Lite 23 or 25mm tires. I run the steel bead and they are a bit tight on my rims, especially compared to my cross tires or my Michelin Race tires, but with a good tire lever they aren't a problem. Incredibly durable and very flat resistant.

Pretty much the only road tire I've found at a decent price that is "set it and forget it" and doesn't ride like I've got a garden hose wrapped around my rim (Specialized Armadillos). Continental makes some really nice touring/commuter type tires that are nice, but I've always found the price a little much.

I would avoid race compounds, but if you want a high performance tire then go Vittoria Open Corsa (pure sex in the turns) or Michelin Pro2 Race (cheaper sex). Both are amazing and all, but they wear out fairly quickly and flat easily compared to the Bontragers. Definitely buy a box of tubes if you plan on running these everyday.

The Ito

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I'll step in with The Ito and recommend Bonti Race Lites if you must have folding. They wear well and corner like glue. I also agree with him on the ride quality.

I like any Maxxis tires, and the Re-Fuse would be cheap, but also like Kenda Kalientes.

L

luelling

I have the Vittoria Randonneur Pro Tire on my cross bike. Its a bit wide, but overall a good tire. I ride it on pavement, dirt and gravel and have yet to flat (I have about 40 hours on my new set). Its nice to have a tire that can go everywhere you cross bike can (it is a bit sketchy on high speed gravel due to its large width).