Quantcast

Titanium 12 X 150mm Thur Axle.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
A properly designed 150x12 axle only needs to be made in aluminium. Way cheaper, way lighter, and adequately strong. :)

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
If this axle is cheaper than an ali one, where can i get one from? - my steel lapierre jobby is a porker.

Rick

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Rick just go to a metal workshop and get them make you an alu one. Won't be that expensive there (at least isn't around here) and you may shave around 100g.
You're still using syncros hubs right?

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I just got a Giant Glory and the stock axle could be used as a boat anchor. Ordered the Azonic axle as a replacement (Aluminum) Haven't put them on a scale yet but the Azonic is noticeably lighter in hand. I'll post up weights when I gt them on a scale.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
I had my friend make me one when i had an m1 out of aluminium, i was just curious as to how much this one was.

Yes im still on the synchros hubs.
Rick

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Rennie broke his axle on his V-10 out of the start gate at the ?2005 Sea Otter DH. I think it was 2005, first year they had swoopy top-tubes.

I also saw someone in the Expert class brake thier rear axle out of the start gate at the brianhead Norba race in 2006. He was pissed because they said he could go replace it, but it would have been impossible to go to the bottom replace it and come back up in enough time to actually race.

It's not impossible to break an aluminum rear 12x150mm axle.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Seems there is a point in this ti item then with lots of reported bent items, come on then, where do we get this axle from?:busted:

Rick

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Cheaper, lighter AND stronger = Impossible!*

*Unless the maker isn't aware of what they are offering and when they realize that it will remove one of those three variables (cheaper) and bring the supply and demand universe back into balance. :)

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
Rennie broke his axle on his V-10 out of the start gate at the ?2005 Sea Otter DH. I think it was 2005, first year they had swoopy top-tubes.

I also saw someone in the Expert class brake thier rear axle out of the start gate at the brianhead Norba race in 2006. He was pissed because they said he could go replace it, but it would have been impossible to go to the bottom replace it and come back up in enough time to actually race.

It's not impossible to break an aluminum rear 12x150mm axle.

YES! That was me. I went down on the chair, got a friend's axle after he was done (started before me) and got a quad ride to the top...2 minutes after the last start time. PISSED. BTW, I only weigh 165, but I guess I'm pretty gnarly HA. SC was super amazed that I broke that axle, as was I.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
YES! That was me. I went down on the chair, got a friend's axle after he was done (started before me) and got a quad ride to the top...2 minutes after the last start time. PISSED. BTW, I only weigh 165, but I guess I'm pretty gnarly HA. SC was super amazed that I broke that axle, as was I.
BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEEEE-*SNAP* :eek:

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Makes me wonder how the ti one is cheaper than an Al one, maybe its just painted to look like ti?

What my very limited knowledge of metallurgy suggests is that a ti one would be easier to bend.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
There is no freaking way A Ti any thing is cheaper then Al. Its way more expensive and harder to work. I just started working in a machine shop that deals with Ti and other tough steels. After working with Al and mild steels for a few years.

Perhaps signal-link would care to share some more information about where you can get this Ti axle.

signal-link

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
There is no freaking way A Ti any thing is cheaper then Al. Its way more expensive and harder to work. I just started working in a machine shop that deals with Ti and other tough steels. After working with Al and mild steels for a few years.

Perhaps signal-link would care to share some more information about where you can get this Ti axle.
Buying price is us$50.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
The thing to watch out with on Ali axles is the grade of Ali, I remember a number of years back we had a few Ali axles made out of 6 series Ali to try and lighten up the rear end of some team riders rigs, it was not too long before they were bent or broken. Now all of the stock Morewood axles are turned out of 7075 Ali and we haven't had a single problem in... :huh: three years?