Quantcast

Titanium axle?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm on a upgrade frenzy and I'm thinking is it possible to get a titanium hub axle? If yes, where to buy it? 150x12mm.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
We've got one in the works, but you'll have to wait till next season. If you can't wait look up a ti supplier in your yellowpages and see if they'll help make you something one off.
Really, it shouldn't be hard for any competent ti machinist to make.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The competent ti machinist thing will be a problem in my area (9/10 would be the opposite) but I will look. If no finds then I'm yours ;)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Just hit up your local Fastenal, or higher end hardware store, they could order you a Ti bolt in a few days for like $8 or something. Can't really remember, it's been awhile.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Just hit up your local Fastenal, or higher end hardware store, they could order you a Ti bolt in a few days for like $8 or something. Can't really remember, it's been awhile.
Yeah, depending on the hub, you could always just cut some Ti Alltread, Personally i wouldnt go so far as to use Ti for a DH Axle, I know its stroung, lite, and Stiff, but at the same time, Seems it will probably act like a ti spoke, and end up being Brittle, cant wait to see the BMW one though, Will there be Multiple types/sizes?

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
Allthread will probably mar up the inside of your hub, plus the entire axle will have stress risers at the most critical points. In theory, it's slightly better to use a shank bolt (smooth shaft w/thread at the end), but you still get a neckdown where the threads are cut.
It's probably strong enough to get by though.

I thought Poland was fueled by metal manufacturing, or is it all heavy industrial?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Allthread will probably mar up the inside of your hub, plus the entire axle will have stress risers at the most critical points. In theory, it's slightly better to use a shank bolt (smooth shaft w/thread at the end), but you still get a neckdown where the threads are cut.
It's probably strong enough to get by though.

I thought Poland was fueled by metal manufacturing, or is it all heavy industrial?
Depends on the hub, if its using a Loose ball bearing, then the axle will contat the hub through the bearing race, so the threads wont actually touch the hub, So anyways, will your guy's Ti Axle be available for multiple applications??? Kinda wouldnt mind making my XT a Solid axle, Ive cracked mine a couple times now.