Quantcast

Titanium BMX parts?

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Okay. So, more and more companies are making titanium bits for BMX riders these days.

I'm scared to try them. But should I be? At this point, I'm seriously considering a titanium spindle for my Powerbite crankset... Especially since I just found the RNC one that only costs 50 bucks.

The reason I'm hesitating is that I've seen my friend Nathan break a couple of titanium spindles. Now, he goes bigger than me, but I weigh more than him.

One thing that makes me think I could get away with it is that according to some people, my aluminum cranks arms will flex a small amount in harsh landings, which should prevent the spindle from getting destroyed.

What do you all think? Worthy expendeture or not? It's "only" 50 bucks, but that's meaningless if I destroy it in a week.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
go for it, except you usually get what you pay for with concern to grade of metal and machining quality.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Well, I think I'm going to check 'em out. Worst that could happen is that it breaks almost right after I buy it and I'm out fifty bucks...

Oh, and I crush my nutsack on my seat when it goes. :(

I dunno. I put a new stem, pedals and seatpost clamp on last week and saved myself around a pound, so I don't know how much crazier I'm going to go lightening her up... I'm down to 28 lbs. now.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Ryan from RNC makes a lot of different things out of Ti. He and his wife are really easy to deal with. He has made parts for me in the past. We see him out at the dirt jumps on his Ti/Al race forks.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Originally posted by Misfitslacker
Ti pegs are fun :)
I've had several people tell me that Ti slides slower than steel. Any truth to that? Paying that much for a part that I'm just going to grind away kind of bothers me.

I don't run pegs right now at all. Every time I put 'em on my bike, I start breaking stuff. It's frustrating.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
I've been running Ti pegs since February. I F'ing love em. I used to grind trhough everything I tried. I've rotated these maybe 3times now, and did so extremely prematurely. I have the DK Firestarters. They are pretty inexpensive. I'd recommend them.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
I have a Ti sprocket from RNC. its heavy and it bent after the first sprocket grind (the 36t) so I dont use it. I have macneil Ti pegs, and they are ok, but there is truth to them grinding slower than steel. I dont really notice it on concrete, mostly on rails or metal. It sticks. anyone wanna buy a slightly bent RNC sprocket?

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
PS, my bike is 28 lbs too, with new rear spokes i think ill bring it down to 27 (im going from straight 12g spokes to double butted 14/15 gauge) heres a current pic.

Attachments

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Okay. I decided to save my money on the titanium spindle because T1 introduced their 2004 Barcode yesterday. It's a little more than a pound lighter than my current one...

Actually, maybe I'll get both. When I'm swapping out frames anyway would be a good time to replace the spindle, eh?

rncmfg

Chimp
Oct 26, 2003
I told you shaefdog to bring it by my shop and i would replace it if it was bent but I never heard back from you.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Originally posted by Bonk
Nice! Is that a Ruben?

It is....Its my favorite frame ever. Just put a Dragonfly upper cable on and lost a ton of tension in my brakes. They are so much more sensual now. Its unbelievable how much the dragonfly cable helps.

Originally posted by rncmfg
I told you shaefdog to bring it by my shop and i would replace it if it was bent but I never heard back from you.

I sorta havent had much time to get up there yet. Been pretty busy with finding work, doing odd jobs......things like this. Maybe I'll bring it up sometime soon. Or I could give it to Todd......He says he works/rides for you or something like that. That might be what would work best.