Quantcast

Titanium vs. steel numbers

Jman

Chimp
Dec 9, 2006
Heya,
When upgrading to a Titanium spring do I look for the same numbers that fits me on the Steel spring? Does 400 spring rate on Steel equals 400 spring rate on Titanium? if not, what would be the convergence rate?

Cheers

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
You generally use the same weight spring.

as a side note, anyone know where you can purchase a 600 x 3 ti spring or a 550 x 3?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You generally use the same weight spring.

as a side note, anyone know where you can purchase a 600 x 3 ti spring or a 550 x 3?
what do you need that for? That is a LOT of spring. On your pictured SWD 216, a 600lb spring would mean that you are ~ 300lbs.?.?

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
around 240 w/ gear, my 550 steel spring has a little rust where the coating has came off and I was looking at options.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
renton shows them: http://www.rentoncoilspring.com/performance/shop/order_mountainbikes.cfm?SID=2&CustomerID=36989&jsessionid=ea30e46c1494$9B$3Foj&

You would need to call about availability...you could also try go-ride

BTI also shows them in stock..so any LBS can get them for you.

Just an FYI, ti springs available (from RCS) are just a hair larger than what the DHX stocks (1.43" vs 1.37" ID)..in higher rates, the OD of the spring can contact the res on your DHX...this can be fixed ussually be either removing the B/O adjuster (blue knob) or using a shim to center the spring or both.

Just noticed that bti shows a specific DHX sized spring (from RCS)..none in stock yet...but cool if that is the case. Someone down there finally woke up.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Just noticed that bti shows a specific DHX sized spring (from RCS)..none in stock yet...but cool if that is the case. Someone down there finally woke up.
Interesting the BTI listing doesn't show 300lb DHX springs in any size

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
renton shows them: http://www.rentoncoilspring.com/performance/shop/order_mountainbikes.cfm?SID=2&CustomerID=36989&jsessionid=ea30e46c1494$9B$3Foj&

You would need to call about availability...you could also try go-ride

BTI also shows them in stock..so any LBS can get them for you.

Just an FYI, ti springs available (from RCS) are just a hair larger than what the DHX stocks (1.43" vs 1.37" ID)..in higher rates, the OD of the spring can contact the res on your DHX...this can be fixed ussually be either removing the B/O adjuster (blue knob) or using a shim to center the spring or both.

So what are you really trying to say?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Pretty much any RCS ti spring heavier than 450 will rub the shock body enough to actually cause damage, even with the adjuster knob taken off and the shock collar installed. On that note, I don't think any company makes anything larger than 450 Ti that will actually work with the DHX. The Progressive and Marzocchis have more clearance from the res, so they might work, therefor giving RCS a reason to build those springs.

What it boils down to is: if you need a spring that heavy, you're fat. This means the half pound difference in the spring will mean dick all.

2phass

Chimp
Jul 20, 2002
Bent steel,

If you are interested I have a 550 x 3 off an avy that I am not using.

Cheers

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
What it boils down to is: if you need a spring that heavy, you're fat. This means the half pound difference in the spring will mean dick all.
Bwahaha! Truth in a nutshell..

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Seriously, If you feel the "Need" to have a Ti spring to shave weight, Maybe it would be a good idea to step on a scale and maybe find some cheaper, better weight to lose!!!!! I know I did.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
yeah, fat people shouldn't be allowed to have light bikes. only skinnies should be allowed to have light weight bikes that are easy to throw around

good logic, with that attitude you should go into marketing!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Thats not what I am saying at all, Im just trying to make the point that I did the whole shave weight everywhere you can on the bike thing a few years back. One thing I did made a big difference, WHeels, anything else really didnt make much of a difference other than costing more when it broke. I Dropped 75 lbs, Best difference ever in riding. Given not everyone can lose that much weight, but maybe they should take a look at themselves before dropping a$$loads of money on something taht really isnt going to improve there ride

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
yeah, fat people shouldn't be allowed to have light bikes. only skinnies should be allowed to have light weight bikes that are easy to throw around

good logic, with that attitude you should go into marketing!
I'm 5'9" and 235lbs, so I think I might know what I'm talking about.

You're probably fat like me but just not comfortable with it yet...take a lesson from Oprah and learn to love your size, homie.