Quantcast

Titus El Guapo

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Anyone here have any saddle time on this badboy?
I've found out I could get one for a screaming deal and I'm tempted.
I'm on a 2006 Sppec. Stumpy FSR for my trail needs and its.....sketchy for the trails I've been riding ;)

What I'm most curious about with this bike is climbing ability and overall weight. The angles look great for descending (68 HA, sub 14"bb) and I've owned a bunch of FSR's over the years.

I want this puppy sub 30 or right at 30lbs. I don't want to haul any more than that up the hill. Is that even possible? frame weights at 7.25lbs (claimed)

Do you think the El Guapo could pull double duty as a mini DHr?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
yeah, that is a good question. the titus website says the guapo is built to take whistler abuse, which is a bold statement.
That is a bold statement. if they're sticking to Blue trails and single black diamonds I could see it. Clown shoes or In-Deep on a regular basis? I think it'd be trashed quickly. Its kinda a moot point since It wouldn't be going to Whistler w/ me

In the MBA review, it weghed in at 32lb....good, but squeezing 2 pounds off the build they had could get sketchy.

Anyone out there got any ride time on one? How about seeing one in person?:busted:

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I rode it in bootleg as it was ok, but wouldnt get one for whistler or actually for trailriding either. Put it this way, its the only Titus I dont like. It didnt feel that solid or plush to me.
which rear shock was on it? I noticed it used to be specced w/ a RS pearl and now has a Fox rp23.

Not solid as in flexy?

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
I have ridden one but it was set up for agressive trail riding, ( air shock, lighter wheels, lighter compnents) and thats all i would use it for. It would make a good enduro/all mt. bike but i wouldnt want to go hauling off drops on it. Titus makes sick bikes but I feel like they dont have that much experience as a company in the FR area and as i said i wouldnt want to go hauling off jumps or good sized (6+ feet) drops on it. as a trail bike, something like a Nomad as a comparison, i would say yes. But as im sure others will point out the nomad can take that FR abuse so thats really not a good comparison but you know what i mean.

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
it would be more like the stumpy FSR than the SX trail. if your compairing specialized to specialized and i get the feel you want a gravity set up SX trail with maybee a dual chain ring and a Mountain casset on the back. So i would say the El Guapo is a better built sexier version of the bike you already have.

It had a fox air shock, dont remember if it was a RP23 or DHX air.

It didnt feel like a 6 inch trail bike. It felt like a heavy 4 inch bike with a little slacker geo. Heavy without the DH benefits. Definitely not a DH bike or freeride bike. The whole bike felt harsh. The shock was properly set up as far as sag and everything. Just not impressed like I was when I rode the Giant Reign, Giant Trance, Titus Motolite, Titus Racer-X 29er...

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I poked around on the empty beer a bit. There was a lot of talk about the RS pearl, some like, some hate. And there was talk that the RP23 in 2006 had too much initial platform, making the bike feel harsh. The bike now comes with a larger air volume RP23. Seems like a love/hate bike in general.

I'm not looking at this to replace my DH bike or go to Whistler or send huge jumps gaps with this.
I'm looking at it for a trailbike/all mountain primarily.

My current stumpy is too short on travel (4.7) and too steep angled for our frontside trails, but generally fits the bill for climbing. So the El guapo is a little slacker and more travel, which sounds good. From the feedback and reviews I can scratch it off the "mini DH" list.....looks like I'll still have a 3 bike stable if I go this route.

It concerns me that is doesn't feel all that plush in a lot of the feedback on this bike, but a lot of that feedback is with a shock it no longer comes with (RS pearl) or wasn't intended for (orig. rp23)

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Yeah, the Turner or Intense 6.6 would be great.....but cost almost twice as much as what I can get the Titus.

It doesn't rule it out, I just have to wait longer!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
your stumpy the 2007 version?

i went the the fox 36, yes its a taller fork. and yes i rarely go out of the 130 position. but it gives the bike a little slacker headangle.

but its sounds like you want to go a little bit more aggressive. for that, i would say go Turner. sure i love FSR. but i like the angles on the turner, feel mostly the same. just little bit more travel.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
your stumpy the 2007 version?

i went the the fox 36, yes its a taller fork. and yes i rarely go out of the 130 position. but it gives the bike a little slacker headangle.

but its sounds like you want to go a little bit more aggressive. for that, i would say go Turner. sure i love FSR. but i like the angles on the turner, feel mostly the same. just little bit more travel.
2006. I don't think the geo changed though. I don't want to risk the frame stress, I already ride that bike beyond its intended use:busted:
The spec. rep cringed when I told him what trails I've been riding on it:twitch:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
haha, good to hear.

cant say i'm much of a titus fan. they make good xc stuff for sure. but i'd never own one.

go turner. beyond bikes just lost turner. maybe they have something left for you.

:)

stevop007

Chimp
Oct 2, 2006
San Juan Capo X3
latest story is that lopes is testing out a modified El Guapo bike to his spec. full ti main triangle - 1 1/8 head tube ( not seen on production model) he says under powersprint its a lil squsihy. but hanndles well at speed. wonder if he' s gonna start the race season with out a bike?

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Hey Zark,

According to Titus, the shock length is 8.5"x2.5" which should make the leverage 2.5:1... not so bad. I would think that El Guapo would have a smooth ride like a '77 Chrysler Cordoba (with Corinthian leather interior, etc.). I've you get a sick deal on the frame, slap an RP23 on there. :thumb:

[Tha]Shovla;2821773 said:
I have ridden one but it was set up for agressive trail riding, ( air shock, lighter wheels, lighter compnents) and thats all i would use it for. It would make a good enduro/all mt. bike but i wouldnt want to go hauling off drops on it. Titus makes sick bikes but I feel like they dont have that much experience as a company in the FR area and as i said i wouldnt want to go hauling off jumps or good sized (6+ feet) drops on it. as a trail bike, something like a Nomad as a comparison, i would say yes. But as im sure others will point out the nomad can take that FR abuse so thats really not a good comparison but you know what i mean.
E speculation at it's finest. I know this thread is old, but I couldn't help responding. My El Guapo has seen coming up on three years of abuse this August, and when I say abuse I mean real abuse from Brian Head to Virgin to Northstar, not to mention my local trails, the Barrels and such. It should also be pointed out that I'm 235 lbs in the buff. I do 10-12 foot drops, and 25-30 gaps regularly on this bike, and after riding many other supposedly similar application frames I can say that this is the best out there for a do it all bike, and dare I say shorter travel fr bike too. Turners are nice, but whilst upon my EG three of my friends RFX's have failed, and two Highlines as well, one of them catastrophically! My friend who doesn't even really jump his Nomad cracked his frame.
Take a look at the pic, it's worth a thousand words, and more importantly, accurate words!

Peace out fellas!

:D

Attachments

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Kind of a moot point now isn't it? Seein' as how the company is out of business?

btw, how does it work as a "trail bike"? i.e. pedalling and climbing and stuff?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Kind of a moot point now isn't it? Seein' as how the company is out of business?

btw, how does it work as a "trail bike"? i.e. pedalling and climbing and stuff?
Don't speak too fast!! I have heard they are about to make a comeback.
My buddy in Phoenix has seen the Titus car driving around lately. He is also an El Guapo owner.
:thumb:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Don't speak too fast!! I have heard they are about to make a comeback.
My buddy in Phoenix has seen the Titus car driving around lately. He is also an El Guapo owner.
:thumb:
On One bought them and is trying to bring them back from the dead....also rumored to be looking at getting Race Face

blindman

Chimp
Sep 22, 2011
It is funny to hear people speculate on what the El Guapo is capable of! Yet they have no clue. I live in Sammamish, WA and ride 4 to 5 days a week at Duthie Hill MTN bike park, you tube it, it is legit! I regularly hit 8 to 10 foot drops, and 30 plus foot tables daily on My 2010 El Guapo! Mine is 33.5 LBS with straightline pedals, Rock Shox Lyrik with missin control DH damper, and dual flow rebound, Fulcrum Red Zone wheels, and rock shox re-verb seat post. With an angle set it has a 66.5 degree head angle, and is a perfect mini downhill/park bike. Titus build quality is second to none, and the el guapo is one of the best bikes on the planet period!