Quantcast

TLD A1 vs A2

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The outer plastic layer on mine is peeling too, which is why I'm looking to get rid of it.

But in its defense, this helmet has been beat to shit over 2-3 years of year round use. It only started to delaminate in a few spots (only has bubbles..no actual separation yet) after I left it in my car baking in the sun at work.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The outer plastic layer on mine is peeling too, which is why I'm looking to get rid of it.

But in its defense, this helmet has been beat to shit over 2-3 years of year round use. It only started to delaminate in a few spots (only has bubbles..no actual separation yet) after I left it in my car baking in the sun at work.
I've had mine for only a couple of weeks and it is the outermost rubber coating that is peeling, not a structural problem. Looks not good though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what's peeling, the white paint? I only have a couple of rides. DId you hose it with bugspray? I noticed some stuff happening on my THE when I blasted my baldspot with DEET

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
what's peeling, the white paint? I only have a couple of rides. DId you hose it with bugspray? I noticed some stuff happening on my THE when I blasted my baldspot with DEET
There is transparent rubber coating covering the paint, it is what gives it the flat look. That has started peeling off quickly, I don't think I hosed it with bug spray though.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Finally bit the bullet and bought a "real" MTB Helmet. I have been using the same $20 helmet i bought at Wal-Mart when i bought my bike like object like 3 years ago. Its finally starting to break down on me, which could be from keeping it in my trunk in +100 degrees.
POC Tectal race spin.

I know this has nothing to do with the thread but... oh well.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I assume your a1 is not mips. I think the non mips is THE most comfortable but the a2 is better then most for me. I also feel the sizing has held true from gen to gen, but if your on the cusp of sizing the adjustment dial webbing has three positions to go up or down a half size. The biggest change to the a2 was 2018 to 2019 the later having adjustable ear straps, much better fit in my opinion and worth ignoring the sales for the 18’ a2.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I bought the A1 because it fit super well. I learned that mistake with the THE Argus. Great helmet, superb price, fit like a bucket on my head. The A1 is the kind of fit where you can leave it unbuckled for an entire ride and it won't move at all.

I'll have to keep an eye out for weird peel. Maybe put some stickers on it.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I’ve sold a lot of tld helmets and have not seen what you are showing. Have you seen another one like it, did something get on it? I’m not trying to be a jerk just curious.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I’ve sold a lot of tld helmets and have not seen what you are showing. Have you seen another one like it, did something get on it? I’m not trying to be a jerk just curious.
That's a brand new helmet after two weeks of riding, and I rotate 3 helmets because I hate riding in soggy gear. I didn't get anything on it, it just started peeling.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Picked up another A1, but with mips. This one has the same rubbery soft coating on the outside as @StiHacka. Will observe to see if it also gets the helmutaids.

Finding A2s in stock seems difficult.

Also ordered a new liner for the old A1. That one is a little funky, to put it mildly.

Last edited:

chyu

Chimp
Sep 30, 2018
Picked up another A1, but with mips. This one has the same rubbery soft coating on the outside as @StiHacka. Will observe to see if it also gets the helmutaids.

Finding A2s in stock seems difficult.

Also ordered a new liner for the old A1. That one is a little funky, to put it mildly.
I have the same model. Bought on July 2018. After 4-5 rides. The outer layer starts to crack like a spiderweb too. Helmet was handwashed and dried indoor. Whilst on the other hand I have another A2 bought on the same day, no problem at all.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I believe the design name is "whiter than white white". Now with leprosy included.

I got aerosol insect repellent with deet in it on the back of my helmet yesterday. It looked like yours. Scrubbed it off after and now the back of the helmet is shiny black.