Quantcast

TLD Helmet

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
I just picked up the 07 Troy Lee Designs D2 Carbon Classic helmet, in red, and all I have to say, is that it is absolutely amazing. By FAR the best helmet I have ever seen, and worn. It is awesome. If you aren't on the TLD bandwagon, I suggest you get on!!! It will change your life!!!! :biggrin:

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
agreed. I have an 06 d2-not carbon but I assume its exactly the same outside of weight. I love them, they are so well ventilated.

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
TLD lids are bling, but offer little protection for you head. You have the shell, some foam padding that is less than an inch thick, liner. They are not DOT-Snell certified. They are bicycle certified which mean NOTHING! For about the same price you can get a really nice moto-cross helmet and it weighs a few ounces more but offers 10X the protection.
It's your head use it!
This picture is of my moto-cross helmet that was DOT-Snell certified and if it was sometihing eles do you think I would be writing this?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
TLD lids are bling, but offer little protection for you head. You have the shell, some foam padding that is less than an inch thick, liner.
TLD pumps out buckets that meet all the safety requirements set in place (D2 helmets meet or exceed safety approval rating requirements from CSPC, ASTM (BMX and downhill), and DE).

They are not DOT-Snell certified. They are bicycle certified which mean NOTHING! For about the same price you can get a really nice moto-cross helmet and it weighs a few ounces more but offers 10X the protection.
It's your head use it!

Both the DOT and Snell standards are designed for testing motorcycle racing helmets. The certs are meant to protect your noggin from excessive forces (onto flat anvil drops and hemispherically shaped anvils) reaching 200G's for no more than 4ms (ironically enough, not a force one will see while on a mountain bike...go figure).

Snell hasn't done any cadaver tests to find out what helmets actually do accomplish in a crash; I have always found that odd. Yet, if you buy a bucket that has the Snell sticker, it also will meet DOT standards. So in the very least, you are sure to have a bucket that adheres to DOT-certification.

Moving forward...

You prefer to rock the motocross bucket while riding..that's great. Most people do not. I used to have a nice ridge dot-certified moto helmet but when I broke that at 27, I went for a mad maxII which lasted quite a few seasons and I eventually found myself the owner of a D2 which I love.

To each their own.

You are right though, if you want maximum safety for your noggin, going for a higher rated safety helmet is the best choice...but the D2 helmets really are the highest rated (safest by the books) bicycle helmet available.

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
TLD helmets are just a bling factor in my book. Its your head but if you really must have one of those then for Gods sake buy the dot one.
Arai is the most comfortable helmet I have had but it cost alot.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
TLD's are sick. They pass CPSC certifications for bicycle, and downhill use, which is above the standard bicycle helmet. 2006 and previous, the carbon full face feature did not pass those standards, but I believe they do for 2007.

But there is no argument. Moto helmets are safer by far.

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
I'm interested in droping the cash for the sake of the racer steez. But i'm not sure about size. Can any of you TLD owners tell my what size you have and the size of your head (cm or inches.) Thanks.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
i dont have any measurements right now, but i usually ran small helmets inthe past, and i had to get the medium/large TLD. so if you wear a large helmet now, or even a medium, consider getting the XL. if you wear a small, probably med/large. they fit niiiiiiiiice though when you get the right size. so perfect

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I have the 661 Hurricane Flight helmet as well--I look like a bobble-head wearing it, but I could care less b/c I feel more confident knowing that I have the protection of a MX helmet. The TLD carbon helmets are pretty but they scare me!