Quantcast

TLD Pants cut to shorts - how to?

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
When I do it, I was going to compare them to my sprint shorts. It ends up that you cut them in the middle of the leather on the inside of the knees. Cut a bit extra for the fold and then hem them I guess. I want to do it but I am scared of messing them up.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I have a pair at home. I'll post a pic tonight to show where I cut them.

You'll need to find someone with a good sewing machine to get thru the leather on the knees and make sure they have the right needles.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
how do these "scissors" work? can you post a tutorial please?

It depends on which scissors you use.

If you use the DW scissors, they'll cut nicely, but they won't bob much so its hard to tell whats going on.

You can get standard scissors, but they'll work better if you put in Avy cart in them.

Replacing the main screw with a ti one will make them racing scissors.

You can get the TLD scissors, which no doubt Total Heckler will post a fair and completely unbiased review on very soon. They have flames.

You can get the RockShox scissors, but they might be cast a bit crooked.

The Fox scissors have a kashima coating, so they're nice and smooth, just as smooth as the ones without the Kashima coating.

The X-Fusion scissors work really well, are built well, are super smooth, and cut perfectly straight lines, but people won't buy them because it doesn't say Fox, Rockshow or Marzocchi on them.

The Crank Brothers scissors are very pretty, but are made out of 93 different anodized parts.

5.10 scissors are grippy.

Intense scissors are made in the US, are very pretty, and a good deal, but everybody will tell you they are crooked, despite not being so.

Last, you can get a standard pair of scissors which work pefectly well for you, and cut everything exactly the way you need, but 24144 people on Ridemonkey will tell you exactly why they suck, and why you should have bought a different pair, and what you're going to have to do to fix them. :)

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC

If you use the DW scissors, they'll cut nicely, but they won't bob much so its hard to tell whats going on.

You can get standard scissors, but they'll work better if you put in Avy cart in them.

You can get the TLD scissors, which no doubt Total Heckler will post a fair and completely unbiased review on very soon. They have flames.

The Fox scissors have a kashima coating, so they're nice and smooth, just as smooth as the ones without the Kashima coating.

The X-Fusion scissors work really well, are built well, are super smooth, and cut perfectly straight lines, but people won't buy them because it doesn't say Fox, Rockshow or Marzocchi on them.

The Crank Brothers scissors are very pretty, but are made out of 93 different anodized parts.

Intense scissors are made in the US, are very pretty, and a good deal, but everybody will tell you they are crooked, despite not being so.

Last, you can get a standard pair of scissors which work pefectly well for you, and cut everything exactly the way you need, but 24144 people on Ridemonkey will tell you exactly why they suck, and why you should have bought a different pair, and what you're going to have to do to fix them. :)
I miss you jeff, come visit!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Take it to a seamstress for the best results.
i was trying to avoid this albatross of a thread, but if you go the seamstress/tailor route, get a quote first. IIRC there is typically a service upcharge for working with leather. Depending on how much the alterations would cost, might be cheaper & faster to just buy actual shorts.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
It depends on which scissors you use. :)
:rofl: By the way, you left out bunch of others. Maybe others can keep adding. :thumb:

Kona ones will be heavy but good value and comes with a lifetime guarantee.

BOS are super-expensive and smooth but you have to send it to Europe to get it serviced.

Marzocchi are super smooth for small cuts but don't get ones made in 2008/09.

Santa Cruz ones now come with carbon handles.

GT ones are all carbon but have a funky pivot.

And if you buy one from Diablo, they are made to cut branches as well, but you have to look before you cut. Otherwise, you might hurt yourself really bad.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
Now available as Signature Sam Hill edition

Also for 2012 will be getting revamped with grease zerks and Cane Creek Angle Set to postion your fingers better for those steep cutting angles

Intense makes the most adjustable scissors on the market with 3 adjustable handle lengths and 3 blade angles.

Stay away from Evil scissors, they tend to buck your fingers off line making bad cuts

Last edited:

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT

F-ing great!

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Be sure to cut them short enough so the pockets can hang out. Thats true racer boy swagger...at least over here in west hollywood.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I knew you would let the cat out of the bag with this thread... well, now that everyone knows they exist, here is my review of the new TLD scissors:

Sorry for the low res photo, it is all I could get.

The flames make for a stylish and modern design. Each pair is hand made at the TLD HQ in Corona CA by Troy himself. The flames are cut out to obtain superior performance compared to most other scissors on the market with "Speed Equipment Holes" or SEH. They are made of titanium (super lightweight compared to others). The finger holes and loop extensions are precision made for ultimate comfort on those long sewing adventures.

Last edited:

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I knew you would let the cat out of the bag with this thread... well, now that everyone knows they exist, here is my review of the new TLD scissors:

Sorry for the low res photo, it is all I could get.

The flames make for a stylish and modern design. Each pair is hand made at the TLD HQ in Corona CA by Troy himself. The flames are cut out to obtain superior performance compared to most other scissors on the market with "Speed Equipment Holes" or SEH. They are made of titanium (super lightweight compared to others). The finger holes and loop extensions are precision made for ultimate comfort on those long sewing adventures.
Where can i get on of those:)