Quantcast

TLD Pants - Modification to fit?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just ordered a set of Troy Lee GP Air pants in my waist size (32) from a moto shop online. Trying them on today, they are super baggy and a few inches short in the legs, but the waist is spot on. I am considering taking them somewhere to be modified so they are a bit more snug on the legs, and having a cuff put on them to lengthen them, and keep the bottom a bit tighter.

Has anyone modified their TLD pants? It seems like all the panels would make it a bit difficult. I know this is a pretty obscure question, but I would hate to have a brand new set ripped up, only to find out that they don't really work well once they're modified.

Worst-case scenario, I guess I will just wear shorts since my chicken-legs don't seem to fit too well into moto pants.

A pic of the pants for reference:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
They're modern. They are designed to have the waist of them down around your ass.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
They are short since they are designed to put into a moto boot. I think any cuff is going to look out of place but if you want function it should work. Any seamstress should be able to do it. It would be new material though since there isn't enough of a hem to do anything with.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well if that idea turns out to be a bad one (which it very well may be), any recommendations out there for some slimmer/longer moto pants?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Shorts? Or get gear made by a bike clothing co (Nema, Sombrio, etc)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I think I'll probably just do shorts. I figured since I see so many people with TLD gear it would work a bit better for DH, but I guess it's mainly an image thing.

Has anyone here used the Nema pants?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Pretty stoked on the Nema pants, they fit really well, and have a good tapered sort of fit to them, skinny enough at the waist to keep them out of the way, big enough near the knee to fit well over pads, and skinny at the ankle to keep stuff out/ keep them outta the way. Sizing seems spot on and, as the label says, they were designed for pedaling, not throttle jockeying.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
I'm guessing you have a 30/31 inch waist? and they were too baggy with leg armor and the hip pads in them?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I have a 32 waist.

Yeah, the fit is just really "odd". Baggy in the wrong places for DH. For moto I'm sure they would be great for me, but my legs are too long/skinny I think.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Unless you'd say your legs are just really, really skinny, maybe shorts are the way to go before trying another pair of pants sight unseen.

I'm picturing them being baggy in the thigh that you don't like, but the length should be covering and ending at your calf muscles primarily, leaving a few inch gap that would be covered by ankle protectors or regular length socks.

Take some measurements of those, guesstimate what you'd like them to be, and compare to some other styles.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Just bought my first pair of TL GP Air pants (although they are more like capris). I'm pretty impressed, look to be well engineered and very "airy".

However, I'm finding that the grippy white printing on my 661 knee pads sticks to the pants and kinda binds, pulling them down and restricting pedalling. Anyone done a mod to make them not stick to each other?

And what are the tall guys doing about the short length? And no, I'm not going to droop them around my arse.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
are you talking about the white printing on 661 Kyle Straits? you can rub that stuff off. after wearing TLD pants for a couple seasons, the printing on mine has pretty much worn off already.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
ur prob wont get all of it off, but u can scrub it down so its not as grippy any more.

or if ur really lazy, just cover it up with some tape.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
The fit is a bit odd because, as mentioned, they're designed for use with moto boots. Long or skinny legs, they're going to fit awkward. Despite ramblings from the peanut gallery, I actually like some of the TLD designs, and prefer to buy their product. I turned my last pair of pants into shorts, which might be worth while to do if you like the color. Cut and hem them to length and you're good to go.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Mark,

I found that it was easiest to buy them too large and hem the waist, they seem to fit pretty well.

I normally wear a 32 in TLD stuff, and tried a 36. The waist was huge, but everything else seemed to fit well (tiny bit baggy).

Go to SBM on Calle Real and try on pants, they usually have a fair bit of TLD stuff.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If you make them into shorts, an FYI is to use a good seamstress and warn them that they will need ALOT of extra hem to get them to stitch up properly. My bud used to work at NoFear and would have his in house guy seam them for me and warned me that unless a seamstress really knew how to work with them, they can't get it right.

Rule of thumb if you're 32 inch waist is to go to a 11" inseam. to get the right balance between longer than XC and "knickers".

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I've got shorts, definitely not going to shorten these - defeats the purpose.

So would I be guessing right that the pants work better with knee guards with plastic exterior cups, allowing a bit less friction between pad and pants?

I kinda worry about them being to bulky...there's not loads of room in the lower leg of the GP airs.

What knee guards do people find work best when running pants?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I've got shorts, definitely not going to shorten these - defeats the purpose.

So would I be guessing right that the pants work better with knee guards with plastic exterior cups, allowing a bit less friction between pad and pants?

I kinda worry about them being to bulky...there's not loads of room in the lower leg of the GP airs.

What knee guards do people find work best when running pants?
I've been using moto knee/shin guards under my TLD pants, and it works pretty well. The pants keep them from moving around too much (albeit they still move a little), and they aren't bulky and don't snag/create friction with the pants. Specifically, I'm using the Fox Titan knee/shin guard.