Quantcast

TLD T-Bone Knee Pads

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I've been looking at getting some new knee pads. My 661 kyle strait pads have seen better days. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are they comfortable? durable? fit well? stay put? Would you choose them over the Kyle Straits? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yes to all of your questions, but they are discontinued. I'm weighing replacing my worn out pair with an unsold pair of T-bones or going to the Fox LPs.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
my bad... I could have sworn they were gone with all the new pads coming out from TLD. I think they were Chainlove'd recently too.

Get 'em! One of the nice things about the T-bone, is that the cloth covering the knee cap is stronger than lots of other knee pads... it's a cordura-type, so it doesn't tear the first time you crash on them. They also don't use that perforated neoprene that tears so easily on 661s.

Pro tip - cut out the 3"x4" lycra section on the rear for better ventilation and less chafing.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a pair and can offer a few comments:

- I have size Large and they're tight, but comfortable. They have never moved in a crash.
- the back of the knee is NOT open which made for less comfortable use as the material would bunch up when you bend you knees. I ended up cutting out the excess fabric and it improved the fit a lot.

Aside from these and 661, a friend of mine just got the RaceFace pads of a similar style with the fancy space-age play-doh stuff and they're nice. You might as well take a look at those while you're shopping around.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I love them. I just got a new pair for Xmas. The hard shell seems to be a little beefier on these new ones compared to my old ones.

You sweat alot in them which is the reason I got new ones. The old ones stink unless they get put in the deep freeze for a week after I wash them. Besides that there still in good shape and two years old.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
mine have held up great for a good 4 years now, they might have one more season left in them. the loop hole for one of the velcro straps came apart, it didnt seem to interfere too much though.
they stay in place very well, I am looking at the same or the poc, they are more $ though.

the 661 pads have been on sale for 25 dollar on the chainlove.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
mine have held up great for a good 4 years now, they might have one more season left in them. the loop hole for one of the velcro straps came apart, it didnt seem to interfere too much though.
they stay in place very well, I am looking at the same or the poc, they are more $ though.

the 661 pads have been on sale for 25 dollar on the chainlove.
Yea i saw they were on sale. But it sounds like the T Bones are far more superior. I reckon I'll give them a try.

Infini IV

Chimp
Jan 1, 2011
I felt the Kyle Straits were more comfy against my knee, but the stitching hasn't held up nearly as well as the TLD's. As everyone else has said, the TLD's run a bit small.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I have them, they're incredibly uncomfortable, by far the most uncomfortable of the kneepads I've tried, but they're also very very tough and durable, and they stay well put in crashes.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My Straits make my right knee (the one I've never had surgery on) ache horribly if I try to sneak in a trail ride in them. Can ride for days on end in them for DH runs, but if I climb for more than 10 minutes, the pain becomes unbearable under my knee cap.

Would love a recommendation of a good set of the D3O style pads that would be good for both DH and aggro trail riding.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Get the new 661 Evo Knee's. Cordura outer and a D30 molded knee cup. They also came down a bunch in price, $90 retail I think?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
TLD T-bones are NOT discontinued and are fully in stock.

Cam Zink has been running the Brian Lopes gasket/shells and a 'TLD Premium Protection by Shock Dr' #5450 on top of those when he is busy backflipping off of skyscrapers to rock cliff huck jam.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
My Straits make my right knee (the one I've never had surgery on) ache horribly if I try to sneak in a trail ride in them. Can ride for days on end in them for DH runs, but if I climb for more than 10 minutes, the pain becomes unbearable under my knee cap.

Would love a recommendation of a good set of the D3O style pads that would be good for both DH and aggro trail riding.
i love my poc joint knees, they run small initially but do stretch a bit after being worn a few times. i like the vpd better than the d3o as it's more flexible and conforms to the shape it's against after it warms up a bit.