Quantcast

TNF co founder dead

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I saw this info late last night. Definitely sad news :(

Really loved his and Yvon's interviews in the 180* South movie.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have to wonder about preparation, the water in that lake is in the 40s. That would call for drysuits or wetsuits to survive immersion. self rescue gear etc, I have not read what kind of exposure gear they were wearing. Nature can be an unforgiving mistress. Its a bitch that he went that way. I paddle cold water and I wear a full triathlon wetsuit in addition to my PFD. I would have a drysuit if I had the spare coin laying around. Sounds like they got hit by really nasty conditions

The health service in the Aysén administrative region said Mr. Tompkins was boating with five others on General Carrera Lake when their kayaks capsized in heavy waves.

Chile’s army said that a patrol boat rescued three of the boaters and that a helicopter lifted out the other three. No one else was seriously injured.

A local prosecutor, Pedro Salgado, told radio Bío Bío that the lake was known for unpredictable weather conditions. He said that Mr. Tompkins had spent “considerable amount of time in waters under 4 degrees Celsius,” or under 40 degrees Fahrenheit.