Quantcast

To be unfaithful in Whistler

sudhamike

Chimp
Nov 26, 2003
Next weekend, I'm going up to Whistler for the first time. I own a Heckler W/ a Sherman Firefly, but a buddy is letting me borrow his Stinky Primo w/a Dorado up front. It's going to be a pain in the ass to haul both bikes up there.
I'm not planning on huge air, and the Santa Cruz is certainly my comfortable partner, having not ridden the Kona. And to leave her at home in a hot garage, while I pump some sturdy, plush, well-lubed ride in mountain bike heaven, seems like bad Karma.
On the other hand, from what little I know of Whistler, the Stinky appears to be the more appropriate machine for the terrain. :help: Should I just leave the Heckler home?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You would most likely break your heckler if you ride hard. We just got back from Whistler and the NS and my buddy broke his Bullit in 5-6 spots. My other buddy broke his 3rd Scream, which was the 05 Red one. He broke his 03 there last year. Another buddy broke the headtube off his Azoinic. The locals call Whistler the wood chipper.

sudhamike

Chimp
Nov 26, 2003
Great input. The Heckler stays home. Thanks, ridemonkeys!
Now I have to go out and buy a full-face.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
It depends who you are, lots of expert riders are starting to opt for more heckler esque rides at whistler (dependant on the build) However if you don't know whistler and it is your first time the Kona would be pretty nice, keep in mind though that no matter what you take it is going to suffer the abuse of about a month of riding.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Kanter said:
You would most likely break your heckler if you ride hard. We just got back from Whistler and the NS and my buddy broke his Bullit in 5-6 spots. My other buddy broke his 3rd Scream, which was the 05 Red one. He broke his 03 there last year. Another buddy broke the headtube off his Azoinic. The locals call Whistler the wood chipper.
wth are you guys hitting?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Kanter said:
I have one buddy who destroyed his devinci trail bike, got a brand new Orange 223 (whatever the designation) and ripped the rear end off and is now riding a Banshee chaperal. This guy is pretty smooth too. Whistler definately eats bikes and bodies :)

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
indeed it does my buddy broke his fork up there i bent a disc and another buddy broke two spokes and another buddy crashed and got hurt. it eats you alive but its worth it

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Got a friend that rode his Heckler up there a lot this year due to Ellsworth woes with his Dare. He said he was pleasantly surprised with how well it did. He's pretty smooth though and rides that thing like it's wearing a little black cocktail dress instead of the thrashed black paint job.
He's the first to admit that it did put the hurt on the bike more than he wanted to and had to replace the whole drivetrain mid-season. He's known for waiting until the last possible moment to swap out worn parts anyway tho.'
Agree though that if you don't know the trails, something a bit more stout would be better.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Qman said:
Got a friend that rode his Heckler up there a lot this year due to Ellsworth woes with his Dare. He said he was pleasantly surprised with how well it did. He's pretty smooth though and rides that thing like it's wearing a little black cocktail dress instead of the thrashed black paint job.
He's the first to admit that it did put the hurt on the bike more than he wanted to and had to replace the whole drivetrain mid-season. He's known for waiting until the last possible moment to swap out worn parts anyway tho.'
Agree though that if you don't know the trails, something a bit more stout would be better.
Don't listen to Qman...he doesn't know what he is talking about! ;) :D