Quantcast

to become a volunteer firefighter or not....

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
as the title says, ive always thought about becoming a volunteer firefighter since im a bit of an adrenaline junkie. my sorta-new neighbor said he can help expedite the process of joining since he is on the force and said i could be the 2nd man on the fire hose in no time (hopefully that wasnt a gay referral.)

anyone here a volunteer fireperson?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
3 of my brothers work on our cities "paid on call" volunteer fire department.

They've been involved for over 10 years now and all seem to enjoy it. They spend more time on car accidents, personal injury, and medical calls then they do actual structure fires, but enjoy it.

You will become much less compassionate to the human race in general, but you'll also get a chance to see peoples houses burn down, dead people, blood, guts, and lots of car accidents.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Do it. but do it right don't just join to get the Tee shirt. Nothing worse than a doorway dancer. Learn all you can, bust your butt in all drills. It's is more than just getting to play with really cool toys [not that there is anything wrong with getting to play with some of the coolest toys out there] it is about being able to make a difference in peoples lives. Do understand that if you screw up, if things go bad on a call you can easily die. Dead heros are still dead don't be one.

PM me

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You will become much less compassionate to the human race in general.
thats impossible. :D

it does seem my part of town has more fatal and near-fatal traffic accidents then it does fires, so thats something ill have to get used to i suppose

Do it. but do it right don't just join to get the Tee shirt. Nothing worse than a doorway dancer. Learn all you can, bust your butt in all drills. It's is more than just getting to play with really cool toys [not that there is anything wrong with getting to play with some of the coolest toys out there] it is about being able to make a difference in peoples lives. Do understand that if you screw up, if things go bad on a call you can easily die. Dead heros are still dead don't be one.

PM me
if i do anything, i do it 100%. i dont want to slack off when someone's life could be depending on me.

edit: we get t-shrits????

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
thats impossible. :D
yeah, my dad made a comment about one of my brothers one day. He basically said that he had hoped with my brother joining the department and seeing all the things tha the saw that he had hoped it would make my brother more sympathetic and compassionate towards others. Instead he's an even bigger prick who hates the general public and the stupid things they do lol

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
You're going to have to stop by the place. On the conservative side, if there are than 3 or more hicks/retards hanging out already...have to tolerate outside of calls and depend on them during.

said he can help expedite the process of joining since he is on the force and said i could be the 2nd man on the fire hose in no time (hopefully that wasnt a gay referral.)
Have you been doing yard work? Bending over with a short t shirt?

Last edited:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Stepson's a seasonal firefighter (let the jokes/put downs roll), and just finished his second year with the team. He worked on a few fires around here (anyone read about the Ray May Way fire?). He loves it, and he did it all to honor Alaina, who wanted to be a firefighter as well.

When you do get on the force, know you'll have a guardian angel helping you out.......

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You're going to have to stop by the place. On the conservative side, if there are than 3 or more hicks/retards hanging out already...have to tolerate outside of calls and depend on them during.
they have a meeting tomorrow that i was planning on going to to see what the deal is.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
GFF to the white courtesy phone...

Do it, seriously. It's a good way to help out your hood and get to know folks in the area that matter.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
I was a volunteer while in high school. Got into it cause my dad was into it. And if you like adrenaline, playing with really cool tools and the feeling like you helped someone in need, do it. It will take up A LOT of your time to get the right certificates and what not so you aren't just another dude standing around. However, the rush when suiting up and going out in a vehicle with lights blazing and sirens blarring, and then possibly saving someones life. Pretty hard to beat that.... But, you better be ready to see people mangled and SCREAMING for they're lives when you go to accidents, which are the most common thing you will do.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I was a volunteer while in high school. Got into it cause my dad was into it. And if you like adrenaline, playing with really cool tools and the feeling like you helped someone in need, do it. It will take up A LOT of your time to get the right certificates and what not so you aren't just another dude standing around. However, the rush when suiting up and going out in a vehicle with lights blazing and sirens blarring, and then possibly saving someones life. Pretty hard to beat that.... But, you better be ready to see people mangled and SCREAMING for they're lives when you go to accidents, which are the most common thing you will do.
most of the guys I know do it for the adrenaline first, the fact they get to play with cool toys second, and the lights on their pick up trucks third....none of them seem to mention helping people.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
most of the guys I know do it for the adrenaline first, the fact they get to play with cool toys second, and the lights on their pick up trucks third....none of them seem to mention helping people.
Yeah there's a name for those blue lights on their trucks guys...

I started cause it was fun to play with the toys and bond with my dad. But, that was short lived till I went on my first real accident, where it took us a couple hours to cut this guy out of his truck, screaming in agony the whole time. That was a real eye opener to say the least. That happened in the first couple months, I had a different approach after that. Still got the rush as soon as the pager went off, but then I had a feeling of responsibility that came with it. Instead of just going to have fun, I was going to help someone.

I have to add that the department I ran with, no one had stupid blue lights on their trucks. We all lived close enough to the station, I literally ran to the station.

Last edited:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
do it. Its fun if nothing else. tangible good you can do for your own community. that being said you can cut holes in roofs and kick down front doors. Thats that cool part.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have to add that the department I ran with, no one had stupid blue lights on their trucks. We all lived close enough to the station, I literally ran to the station.
Our town is big enough and the guys are spread out enough that they petitioned for the lights on their personal vehicles for good reason. I remember before the lights seeing guys I knew racing to the department and people getting in their way, not understanding why they were in such a rush, etc. At least now with the lights people know to get out of the way.

I say what I've said partially joking, as a taxpayer and someone who knows many of the guys on our department I have to say that it is a very well run department and they have a history of NOT tolerating jackasses on the department.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
weigh out the pros and cons first

cons
minumum of 1 night a week for drills
couple weeks of academy for basic firefighter
dept standards testing quarterly
skipping meals alot
low man on the totem pole for everything for two years
micro management (too many chiefs)
drama/ego's
being woke up at all hours of the night
no pay
old smelly hand me down gear
limited experience means limited calls/duties
no fuel reimbursement

pro's

chicks dig it
and occasionally you actually get to see fire

I would be sure and hang around a bit before you jump in too fast. get to know the crowd and see if you will fit in first. and realize this, you will have to do all the horrible things first before you can do anything cool.

examples include

cleaning up blood, puke, crap, pee, and possibly getting it on yourself. fatality accidents and dealing with severely injured children
disrobing old peeps, fat peeps, druggie peeps, infected peeps and having to smell it all
washing rigs several times a a day, mopping, vacuuming, trash, windows.

be sure and think it over before you dive in....it isnt for everyone

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Our town is big enough and the guys are spread out enough that they petitioned for the lights on their personal vehicles for good reason. I remember before the lights seeing guys I knew racing to the department and people getting in their way, not understanding why they were in such a rush, etc. At least now with the lights people know to get out of the way.

I say what I've said partially joking, as a taxpayer and someone who knows many of the guys on our department I have to say that it is a very well run department and they have a history of NOT tolerating jackasses on the department.
Gotcha man, our situations are little different. The company I ran with was on the up and up, with serious people involved. And I can def see why lights in your situation are a good thing. Some of the other departments in our area were filled with douches that just wanted to be important with lights, huge antennas and enough reflective tape on there trucks to land a 747 in the dark.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Gotcha man, our situations are little different. The company I ran with was on the up and up, with serious people involved. And I can def see why lights in your situation are a good thing. Some of the other departments in our area were filled with douches that just wanted to be important with lights, huge antennas and enough reflective tape on there trucks to land a 747 in the dark.
we call them Wackers

and don't forget the "we fight what you fear Tee shirts and the 7 radios on their belts which must be worn at all times"

and the fact that none of them has been to an academy of holds a FF1 cert

IH8Rice run away if you see any of the above

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
we call them Wackers

and don't forget the "we fight what you fear Tee shirts and the 7 radios on their belts which must be worn at all times"

and the fact that none of them has been to an academy of holds a FF1 cert

IH8Rice run away if you see any of the above
Around here they're known as "Straps", not sure why...

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Eric and GFF answered this pretty well but I found that as I got more involved it started to eat more of my time. Training twice a week, then extra training courses for new competencies on top of that. Then theres the general hanging around the station during high fire danger periods and calls themselves. Plus as I've gotten more into it I have taken on extra duties so I'm currently a deputy captain and also secretary of my local brigade so that adds 2 and sometimes three meetings a month out of my time.

Don't get me wrong though, I love it and its been incredibly worthwhile. I get to do all kinds of interesting training, the kind of people who dedicate large chunks of their time to helping the community are usually pretty good people to know (although there are some strange people there too) and when we have a big fire season here in Oz the outpouring of support that you get from the community makes you feel pretty good, as well as just knowing that you are helping people you might never meet and doing something to assist your local community. Adrenalin and the big red trucks is also a factor I guess although that fades a bit over time you still get a bit of a flutter when the pager goes off.

You can get to see some pretty terrible stuff although I'm in a bushfire brigade so we mostly only do wildfires so I don't get to go to car accidents very often so I guess I'm lucky there. Otherwise you will be a grunt for a while, we get heaps of people who join up thinking they will be squirting water on the next bushfire and eventually drop out a bit later when they gradually come to realise that it might be a year or more till we feel confident letting them out to a fire.

Interesting some of you guys get lights for private vehicles, over here we get told during our initial interview that if we speed or break traffic laws on the way to a station that the police will ping us. that goes for our retained (paid on call fire fighters) as well as us volunteers.

Anyway it is awesome, but it doesn't hurt to go in eyes wide open too.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thanks all. im going to a meeting tonight to find out what is what and to see if i really do want to join. my new neighbor is pushing me to do it but i said i wanted to talk to everyone first before i commit my time to it all.
hopefully i wont be the lowest man on the totem pole for long but thats obviously up in the air.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
alright, well apparently they moved meetings from the 2nd Tuesday to the 3rd Tuesday so the wait continues.
there also seems to be a lot of volunteers that work out of my local station. one person said around 30+ but not all of them respond all the time

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
alright, well apparently they moved meetings from the 2nd Tuesday to the 3rd Tuesday so the wait continues.
there also seems to be a lot of volunteers that work out of my local station. one person said around 30+ but not all of them respond all the time
figure the same 10% will show up for most calls and trainings then you will get a bunch that show for some calls and some trainings. You will also get some old guys that cherry pick and only show up for the "good" calls, the rest are doorway dancers that are there for the Tee shirt and aren't worth didly squat

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
figure the same 10% will show up for most calls and trainings then you will get a bunch that show for some calls and some trainings. You will also get some old guys that cherry pick and only show up for the "good" calls
that seemed to be the case when i talked more with my neighbor. he said he doesnt bother to respond to the calls at the local mental hospital and rehab center since they are usually "false alarms."

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
yeah, most of the guys my brothers work with do not fall into this category. There may be a few, but thats inevitable. They run a pretty good department.

Now the township douchers on the other hand hahahaha, they are all as eric srt6 calls "whackers".....

figure the same 10% will show up for most calls and trainings then you will get a bunch that show for some calls and some trainings. You will also get some old guys that cherry pick and only show up for the "good" calls, the rest are doorway dancers that are there for the Tee shirt and aren't worth didly squat
This part is pretty true in my experience. I have been in the truck many times when a call comes in, raced to the station with my brother and waited at the station while they were out on call.....the same 10 guys are the first ones there, then the next 10-15 cherry pickers do show up to get their "call" money.

My brothers all three are typically top responders each quarter.

I'd like to join, but the way my work and child custody schedules fall I have never been able to commit the time required. Not to mention my weak stomache for blood and guts, and my fear of hights and ladders.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
yeah, most of the guys my brothers work with do not fall into this category. There may be a few, but thats inevitable. They run a pretty good department.

Now the township douchers on the other hand hahahaha, they are all as eric srt6 calls "whackers".....

This part is pretty true in my experience. I have been in the truck many times when a call comes in, raced to the station with my brother and waited at the station while they were out on call.....the same 10 guys are the first ones there, then the next 10-15 cherry pickers do show up to get their "call" money.

My brothers all three are typically top responders each quarter.

I'd like to join, but the way my work and child custody schedules fall I have never been able to commit the time required. Not to mention my weak stomache for blood and guts, and my fear of hights and ladders.
Very good point to bring up. Fear of heights. When I was doing my training (can't remember what the cert is called) basically so I could go into a burning building. I had to carry my friend of equal size and build, out a window, support him, and carry him down a 50' ladder. That was a lot harder then it sounds. Plus I was so scared to drop him when moving his dead weight out the window onto the ladder. So glad I only had to do that once...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Very good point to bring up. Fear of heights. When I was doing my training (can't remember what the cert is called) basically so I could go into a burning building. I had to carry my friend of equal size and build, out a window, support him, and carry him down a 50' ladder. That was a lot harder then it sounds. Plus I was so scared to drop him when moving his dead weight out the window onto the ladder. So glad I only had to do that once...
i hate heights. this should be interesting.