Quantcast

to burn or not to burn...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think select harvesting has helped here. There is still a lot more damage done by clear cutting. Nature knows how to recover from a fire.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'd still like to know what "experts" are claiming that it's the lack of logging that's causing this... Everything I've read (and seen personally) on it states that logging actually causes more problems, since they harvest only the large, old-growth trees which are naturally resistant to brush fires and leave all of the underbrush and dead wood that feed the wildfires. If you've ever seen the destruction left after a logging company comes through, you'd know what I mean.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'd still like to know what "experts" are claiming that it's the lack of logging that's causing this... Everything I've read (and seen personally) on it states that logging actually causes more problems, since they harvest only the large, old-growth trees which are naturally resistant to brush fires and leave all of the underbrush and dead wood that feed the wildfires. If you've ever seen the destruction left after a logging company comes through, you'd know what I mean.
I recall going up to Dallas for a ride (pre-Black Rock days) one weekend. I had just been up there 2 weeks earlier and there was some fresh trail work done. When we got to the second gate, my jaw hit the floor. The whole top of the mountain was gone. The trailhead used to start just after the second gate, but at some point over the last 2 weeks, the entire top section had been harvested and was nothing but dirt.

A burned forest starts to regrow the next year. I bet the top of Dallas is still naked 10 years later.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm am 100% for clearing the millions of beetle kill pine trees which cover the mountains out here. Roadless initiatives or not. The complete loss of landscape and habitat is far worse than the impact of managed access.

Not indiscriminate logging, but more being active in preventing these fires. There must be a way to balance, no?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm am 100% for clearing the millions of beetle kill pine trees which cover the mountains out here. Roadless initiatives or not.
Better open up your wallet. Really wide.
The complete loss of landscape and habitat is far worse than the impact of managed access.
Naw - that beetle kill is gonna fall down fairly soon if it doesn't burn. And to be honest, the environment up there will be quite a bit more healthy even after a fire. Have you visited Yellowstone lately? Just about that entire park burned to the ground in '88 and it is amazing what it looks like 15 years later.

Not indiscriminate logging, but more being active in preventing these fires. There must be a way to balance, no?
You've seen what the beetles have done in a lot of these areas... clearing those trees will amount to clearcutting. And there's very little value in the trees at this point.

Don't forget the Wilderness Areas - you can't even take a chainsaw into those...