Quantcast

to buy or not to buy?????

Feb 10, 2006
Mass
To start i have a chance to buy a bike shop in my area for the sum of 30,000 thats for the shop contracts the whole thing just wondering what other people think possibly if someone owns a bike shop and could :help: give me some insight any comments would be greatly appreciated :help:

thanks chris

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
what the hell? there must be some HUGE debts you would be assuming. Most shops I know have more then that in inventory alone.

Add in tools, service contracts etc....you start to see thats something must be fishy?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There was a shop in Hood River for sale for $35k, nearly all the inventory was not paid for (I guess IH and a bunch of others do the pay when sold deal).

I would look at how well the business was/is doing and what sort of clients the shop has. I know Troy at Santiam did a ton of research before he bought out the owner. he was the manager for years before purchase too, and he didn't go in alone.

I wouldn't mind owning a bike shop, but I also like having money to spend too :p

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hate to be skeptical but if it looks to good to be true it probably is...$30K sounds really low but not unheard of for an independent shop with an owner that just wants out. If the shop is a business entity like a corp or an LLC, you want to buy the assets, not the company itself - that way you won't get any undesired liabilities. Be careful about whatever liabilities you agree to assume, and make sure there is a solid lease with some time remaining that can be assigned to you without the landlord's consent or a rent increase. If the Landlord's consent is required, get it BEFORE you sign a purchase agreement or put in a provision that allows you to back out of the deal if you can't get the consent without a rent increase.

Make sure the inventory is paid for and/or you know the status of those accounts.

Lastly, the contracts you mentioned may or may not be so easily transferrable, and you may not get the same extensions of credit from suppliers. To the extent they are important you will want to find out in advance that you can take over without losing key accounts.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
If your going to make your own buisness as a bike store you better amke it an online store. You will make more $$$ that way.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
SXtrailrider said:
If your going to make your own buisness as a bike store you better amke it an online store. You will make more $$$ that way.
How do you propose he gets market share away from the fine online retailers we have already. You should have sarted an online shop 3-5 years ago, the boat has sailed IMO.