Quantcast

To clip or not to clip... that is the question

mr2monster

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
I'm just starting out and I plan on doing a lot of trail riding (not trial... trail) and XC along with some freeriding (if i can figure out the difference).

My question is, the bike that I'm buying (Specialized Stupmjumper FSR) comes with clipped pedals. This means I have to do one of 2 things...

1. Buy shoes so i can use the clips
2. Buy new pedals...

My question would be, what do you recommend for the type of riding I'm planning on doing?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Definitely clip in... it's the single biggest thing I've done to improve my riding (besides riding more often). Being clipped in make your pedaling more effective and physically attaches you to the bike, making it much easier to control in rough/fast section of trail.

I've been know to skip rides if I can't be clipped in - it's that big of a deal to me.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I disagree. A beginner should run flats and not be worried about being "stuck" to his bike in rough sections until his skills improve.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
When I first started, I went right to clipless, don't regret it one bit, tho I did crash a lot cuz I failed to unclipped.

After a month and several injuries, someone mentioned in passing that I could loosen the pedal -- like a ski binding -- and voila, easier exit.

Wish the LBS had bother telling me that :mumble:

mr2monster

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
hmm. looks like shoes are winning so far... I know the more practical way to find out would be to ride both and see what I like the most but i'm not really in a position to do that..

I've got another quick question. I'm ordering the bike soon (as in next check) and I was wondering what size I am. I've heard both medium and large at different LBS so I'm torn on the issue.

I'm 5'10" 175lbs... I've sat on both a large and medium and they both feel strange because I'm used to a BMX.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
mr2monster said:
hmm. looks like shoes are winning so far... I know the more practical way to find out would be to ride both and see what I like the most but i'm not really in a position to do that..
Yeah, get the shoes. I got some cannondales like these and I am very happy with them. Enough flex to be comfy for a starter shoe. I second Lord Opie in that you set the tension on your pedals to be as light as possible.

mr2monster said:
I've got another quick question. I'm ordering the bike soon (as in next check) and I was wondering what size I am. I've heard both medium and large at different LBS so I'm torn on the issue.

I'm 5'10" 175lbs... I've sat on both a large and medium and they both feel strange because I'm used to a BMX.
I'm 5'9"+ and I have the same "could ride either size" issue. I personally opted for the medium (18") size. The theory here is that a smaller bike is more managable.

You should ride what feels good to you though. Your feeling weird on the Stumpjumper makes me wonder if this is the right bike for you.... I rode lots of bikes before I settled on my current ride. I loved it the moment I got on it. Went and rode a bunch of other bikes, but no spark... got back on this one and the love came right back. I bought it that day.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
OK your used to BMX, I too am a former BMXer, and when I got into MTBing in 1990 I refused to consider clipless pedals, always rode platform, then in 95' got a new bike that came with ritchie pedals and the LBS basically gave me cheap pair of shoes to try out the pedals, It was amazing how much more control I had, bunny hops, cornering, jumping you name it it was better.

Sure there is a slight adjustment period, make sure your pedals tension is adjust to the softer side at first to get the feel of them and take a few easy rides before going all out and riding hard, once you get used to the pedals then you can adjust them to be firmer if you care.

As for bike sizing, I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I really feel at home on most medium size bikes....

bigdonut

Chimp
Mar 10, 2005
PHX
MunkeeHucker said:
why not? I can do no-footers clipless....
Must be a lot easier to unclip these days (haven't tried any since '97).

As stated earlier, there is a definate advantage when it comes to efficiency. Even so, I will never ride clipped in. I like the simplicity of platforms: ride in any shoe, no extra equipment to mess with / break, and less worry when trying technical lines/stunts/tricks. Oh yeah, I also like singlespeeds! :cool:

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
mr2monster said:

Coming from BMX I think you'll be happier on the medium. Also, get the shoes since you obviously already know how to ride a bike. Take some time to practice and you should be good to go.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Go for the meduim I would think.

Also, get the shoes, and later on get a pair of flat pedals and try them out. When I started, I rode flats, then clipless, and now I ride flats again.

mr2monster

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
Wow, thanks for all of the help guys. I went down to a different bike shop this morning and tried out the green test bike in medium and that's the bike for me.

I've tried several other mountain bikes (Trek Fuel EX series, Kona's, etc) and the stumpjumper just felt the best. (Not to mention i get free servicing at the shop I'm buying from) It's only awkward because the tires are so much bigger than i am used to.

I started looking at some shoes today and I found a nice set of Specialized that I like. They have an inset for the clips and also a snap in plate (+ a screw) for when I dont want to use clips I think I might go with those..

http://globalbikes.info/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=764

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
stinkyboy said:
I disagree. A beginner should run flats and not be worried about being "stuck" to his bike in rough sections until his skills improve.

That's exactly why I think beginners should use clipless. It forces them to stay on the pedals and keep riding when they'd be inclined to just put their feet down and stop, without the frustration of having feet slip pedals when it gets rough.

I think it's a good idea to go back to flats later, though, to learn just how much those clipless pedals help you cheat the bike around, and how you don't actually need them to feel in control, once you know the right techniques.

Still, I find myself riding clipless 90% of the time these days.

MD

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
mr2monster said:
I started looking at some shoes today and I found a nice set of Specialized that I like. They have an inset for the clips and also a snap in plate (+ a screw) for when I dont want to use clips I think I might go with those..

http://globalbikes.info/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=764
I know nothing about those shoes, but make sure that the sole is stiff. You don't want any(very little) flex since the pedal platform on clipless is so small. It'll cause a 'hotspot' or just make your foot hurt.

They do make some larger platform clipless: Crank bros. Mallet, Shimano ???, and Time Z-control.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
mr2monster said:
why do they call them clipless when the most obviously have clips?

I thought clipless were flats
First there were flat rat trap pedals. Sometimes they were called cages.
Then toe clips came along, I think they called them that because even though they looked like cages for your feet, cages had already been taken.
Now they have clipless pedals, and I think they are called that, because clip had already been taken as well.

It don't make much sense to me, but you install cleats on the bottom of your shoes to clip into clipless pedals. :confused:

Maybe someone less n00b than me can explain it better.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
yeah, it's a wierd historical inversion. Toe clips are actually the staps/cages on old-school pedals. Clipless pedals allowed you to do away with the actual clip. But 'clipless' pedals alow you to 'clip in,' and are often just called 'clips'... go figure.

MD

bigdumbguy

Chimp
Apr 16, 2006
floria
I didn't really read the thread through,but am sure that it has been said earlier in the thread by someone else.
I cannot ride a bike without being attached to it by shoes and cleats,I tend to forget I am not attached and sometimes begin to have too much fun and throw myself over the bars,reflexively thinking the bike will follow,been injured several times.....ouch.
If you don't have a lot of money to spend on shoes,pedals and cleats,or just don't wanna spend it , go watch the trials guys,they usually use flats and sheer force and leverage,if I was younger and had more time to sit out injuries I would adopt their methods and styles myself.
What's in a name?.
BDG

bigdumbguy

Chimp
Apr 16, 2006
floria
I've been riding with shoes and cleats for so long that when I get tired and I forget to un-hook from my pedals when I stop,I don't even fall down anymore,just sit there motionless.I get some pretty wierd looks from the cage drivers,cops don't like it much either.
If you want to go clipless,maybe a good skill to develop would be the ability to do a trackstand like those velo-drome guys do,while using flat pedals,so one can bail more easily.
Clipless pedals are really good for getting chainring tattoos on your gastros if you don't get out of them in a high speed flub-up,and when they unclip unexpectedly it is a real pain too..........bla bla bla
BDG

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
I started out mtb'ing running Shimano clipless pedals. The majority of users that recomended clipless were XC riders I came across. I rode the clipless mostly on fireroads and wider singletrack. Unclipping was never a problem. After a year and a half I started riding more technical trails and found sometimes I would have to unclip but resting my foot / feet uncliped on the pedals just invited a slip off. I decided I would just have to stay clipped, caged spd pedals didn't offer any additional support unclipped. One day down a really technical section my right foot came unclipped, sheer movement, and sent my foot flying off the pedal - balance went forward & otb I went. Ended up with a broken collarbone. Decided clipless and technical riding was a bad match. Went to flats, though I was a bit worried that pedalling effeciency would suffer along with that locked in feeling. The other poster mentions -

(QUOTE)That's exactly why I think beginners should use clipless. It forces them to stay on the pedals and keep riding when they'd be inclined to just put their feet down and stop, without the frustration of having feet slip pedals when it gets rough.

I think clipless acts as a crutch and it is better to learn how to keep your body position / weight correct to maintain your feet on the pedals in the rough. Bottom line, personally, I don't think i'd ever go clipless again - one injury isn't worth the perceived benefits.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
keen said:
I think clipless acts as a crutch and it is better to learn how to keep your body position / weight correct to maintain your feet on the pedals in the rough. Bottom line, personally, I don't think i'd ever go clipless again - one injury isn't worth the perceived benefits.
You can get injured because of the characteristics of flats or the characteristics of clips...just depends where your dumb luck puts you.

In the end, it comes down to riding both, and picking which one you like more, and which suits your local conditions more. I think clips are a great way to start, personally.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I started riding in '98, and went clipless after 2 years. All my bikes have clipless pedals, and I have never not been able to get out of my pedals. Ride slips long enough and you don't have to think about getting out of the pedals.

On your first day, set the release to fairly easy and ride around you yard and practice getting in and out of your pedals. Do this until you feel comfortable. The first day in the woods, be prepared to spend a lot of time falling. Everybody does it.

going clipless will possibly be the best decision you ever make for mountain biking.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
MikeD said:
That's exactly why I think beginners should use clipless. It forces them to stay on the pedals and keep riding when they'd be inclined to just put their feet down and stop, without the frustration of having feet slip pedals when it gets rough.

I think it's a good idea to go back to flats later, though, to learn just how much those clipless pedals help you cheat the bike around, and how you don't actually need them to feel in control, once you know the right techniques.

Still, I find myself riding clipless 90% of the time these days.

MD
Yea, broken knees and collar bones are a great training tool for beginners.

:clue: :dead:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
stinkyboy said:
Yea, broken knees and collar bones are a great training tool for beginners.

:clue: :dead:
Well, those of us who can walk around in our everyday lives without a football helmet and mouthpiece (albeit barely) have managed to survive riding clipless...

Seriously, people so constantly hyperbolize the supposed 'danger' of riding clipless that it scares people off. Fact is, you can take a foot off a clipless pedal by, well, just taking your foot off. Move it outboard, heel first, and you're off. Why the big fuss, unless you're riding mainly man-made stunts, trials, or dirtjumps?

A newb riding on appropriate trails for his skill level is in no more danger for having clipless than he is for having flats. A newb riding over his skill level is screwed either way...perhaps worse for having clips, but perhaps worse for having flats in a few situations. But the pedals aren't the primary cause of his problem...being in over his head is.

Anyhow, I'm out of this old saw of a debate. Basiclly, Mr2Monster has to try out both types of pedals and make a decision for himself. People ride perfectly well with whichever type of pedal they prefer. Then, once he has an opinion, he can be like us and come onto the Internet and grouse about those who ride differently than we do...

MD