10-12 dried NM red chile pods
Pack of corn tortillas
1 white onion (chopped)
1/2 pound of Monterey Jack cheese
2 garlic cloves (optional)
1-2 eggs per person (optional)
salt to taste

Directions
Slooooooooooow roast a pork roast in the oven (I am talking 250-300F degrees for 3-4-5+ hours)

When the pork is falling apart tender, take roughly 10-12 dried red chile pods and soak them in pan of water for 20-30 minutes to rehydrate them (you can remove the seeds first if you want to).

After soaking the pods, place the pan on the stove and boil them for 10 minutes or so until they are nice and soft

Take the pods and some the liquid and put it in your blender and puree into a nice thick red chile paste (you can toss in some garlic at this point if you so desire). This should yield about a quart of yummy red chile.

Heat each tortilla on both sides on a skillet coated with Pam until it is flexible and doesn't smell raw any more.

Place cooked tortillas on the bottom of a oven safe pan/skillet/dish and add in a layer of your red chile paste, toss in some chopped onions, and layer on the pork (shredded). Then add another thicker layer of red chile over the meat toss on the rest of the onions and a generous layer of jack cheese.

Place the enchiladas in the oven set to broil for 5-10 minutes to melt the cheese and heat everything up.

I like to fry up a couple of eggs (over easy) and toss them on top for a garnish!!!

Goes with beer, margaritas, milk, iced tea....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
here's a hint for great slow-roasted pork...make a marinade of chopped garlic, chooped onion, oregano, cider vinegar and oil. rub over the pork shoulder and let sit in the fridge overnight.

then cook it.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
N8 said:
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Simple To-Die-For Red Chile Enchiladas:

1 pork roast
10-12 dried NM red chile pods
Pack of corn tortillas
1 white onion (chopped)
1/2 pound of Monterey Jack cheese
2 garlic cloves (optional)
1-2 eggs per person (optional)
salt to taste

Directions
Slooooooooooow roast a pork roast in the oven (I am talking 250-300F degrees for 3-4-5+ hours)

When the pork is falling apart tender, take roughly 10-12 dried red chile pods and soak them in pan of water for 20-30 minutes to rehydrate them (you can remove the seeds first if you want to).

After soaking the pods, place the pan on the stove and boil them for 10 minutes or so until they are nice and soft

Take the pods and some the liquid and put it in your blender and puree into a nice thick red chile paste (you can toss in some garlic at this point if you so desire). This should yield about a quart of yummy red chile.

Heat each tortilla on both sides on a skillet coated with Pam until it is flexible and doesn't smell raw any more.

Place cooked tortillas on the bottom of a oven safe pan/skillet/dish and add in a layer of your red chile paste, toss in some chopped onions, and layer on the pork (shredded). Then add another thicker layer of red chile over the meat toss on the rest of the onions and a generous layer of jack cheese.

Place the enchiladas in the oven set to broil for 5-10 minutes to melt the cheese and heat everything up.

I like to fry up a couple of eggs (over easy) and toss them on top for a garnish!!!

Goes with beer, margaritas, milk, iced tea....
Mmmmm...homemade enchiladas. Personally, no matter how many authentic Mexican restaurants I go to, nothing beats homemade! I'm going to try this one out! Thanks for posting...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
blt2ride said:
Mmmmm...homemade enchiladas. Personally, no matter who many authentic Mexican restaurants I go to, nothing beat homemade! I'm going to try this one out! Thanks for posting...

Forget authentic Mexican resturants.. what you really want is New Mexican (as in Rio Grande Valley) cooking!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:
They just opened a Little Anita's near our work. My New Mexican buddy made sure we went there for lunch today. :drool: :drool:

That chain is ok... I'd rate it a 6 out of 10 if dining within NM... but if it is the only NM cooking to be had out of state, I'd rate it a 10/10!!!

:D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
N8 said:
That chain is ok... I'd rate it a 6 out of 10 if dining within NM... but if it is the only NM cooking to be had out of state, I'd rate it a 10/10!!!

:D
That's what my New Mexican homie told me. :D

It's better than all of the Tex-Mex I've had around here. Their rellenos are killer good.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i can eat it in small amounts. i can eat yogurt and cottage cheese. i just can't handle milk, cream, ice cream and cheese.

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
I'd :dead:

Is life without cheese worth living? :p

No, it's not. When I saw the amount of cheese in this recipie, I said to myself, that I had to try this one.

N8, if I cant get my hands on authentic NM red chiles, what would you reccomend as a substitute? I am all the way over on the east coast in NC and doubt I can find any NM chiles out here.

Parker