Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Continue...

Votes: 20 87.0%

• Total voters

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
If you were riding a loop trail that was unfamiliar to you and you were about halfway through the loop when you encountered a fairly long muddy section where riding would be sure to cause trail damage. Would you walk the muddy section and continue riding the loop hoping that the mud was locallized (but not knowing if more nasty mud lies ahead) or turn around knowing that the trail was clear?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Walk around and see if it is a localized problem. I already go through too many brake pads, chains, cassettes and rings thank you. If it was muddy because of a bad trail desing no biggie but I get pissed having to fix good trails because people ride them when they shoudn't. .

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Well this happened to me this weekend. About the first half of the trail was nice and dry. Then the second half was very muddy and of course I only found this out by riding it. I kept saying to myself. surely it will be dry soon. But it wasn't.

I used to not really care about mud. I always thought of it as a part of mountain biking. But now with more and more people riding, you can really see the effects.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
In the NW if you want to ride in the winter, you can't avoid the mud. Just ,ake sure you ride through the middle and don't widen the puddle by going around.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's definitely a local call. Here generally the choice with the least impact is to ride slowly through the mud. Otherwise, the trail gets either braided from people walking around or really, really wide.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sounds like trail work is in order. There is a section of trail that someone did some work on by armoring the trail up in a boggy section. Leaving a minature ditch alonside the newly elevated trail. Buried along the way are pvc pipes acting as mini culverts if the trail is in the way of the drainage. A few little bridges here and there, and a nice berm of concrete pavers. i just am amazed by the work everytime i ride thru it.

The area of course was only boggy during rainy spells.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
SkaredShtles said:
It's definitely a local call. Here generally the choice with the least impact is to ride slowly through the mud. Otherwise, the trail gets either braided from people walking around or really, really wide.
Wow, everbody stop the what your doing and call the media! I am forced to agree with SS on this one.

When Living in Chicagoland if you didn't ride when it was Muddy you would only ride half the year, so up there the concern was when is it to muddy to ride. I believe in being active in doing trail work so I guess its a way to do a pennance for leaving ruts in the past.

If I know a trail is going to be soupy I don't ride it, but if its just muddy abit then its all good, and besides thats why I went SingleSpeed to eliminate dirty derailers.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
SkaredShtles said:
Don't worry, its just that I am becoming more mature and I have seen the enlightenment of your ways, I am eager to learn more oh wise Munkee
........okayden........

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
The best thing is the post-ride grocery shopping in muddy spandex and shoes that have globs of mud and chunks of sod falling off.

We hit Starbucks this weekend after a chilly ride, covered in thick, wet mud. The chick behind the counter just gave us a funny look and inquired about our strange hobby.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
bluebug32 said:
The best thing is the post-ride grocery shopping in muddy spandex and shoes that have globs of mud and chunks of sod falling off.

We hit Starbucks this weekend after a chilly ride, covered in thick, wet mud. The chick behind the counter just gave us a funny look and inquired about our strange hobby.
I believe it was more like "You guys were out riding bikes? You're CRAZY!"