Quantcast

To part out or sell whole?

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
...that is the question. This question might have multiple answers depending on the situation, so let me clarify. I’m thinking of selling my 2001 Kona Stinky. The frame is the oldest part of it with most other components being 2003 or newer.

Main gear on it:
•2003 Manitou Sherman Firefly
•8” Avid Mechs front and rear
•Shimano LX rear/XT front derailleurs
•Sun Rhyno lite XL rims w/ Maxxis Highroller & Mobster, both 2.7”
•Thompson Elite stem
•E-13 Dual Chain guide system
•Truvativ Hussefelt cranks
•ODI lock-ons on Truvativ Hellbent bars
•FSA Pig headset

So, in this case, should I part out or sell whole?

Any thoughts on a fair price for a bike that is in good condition (only paint scrapes)?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Sell that stinky to my home boy for under $200. Haha. I would say part out, but part out wisely. How much you want for the Avid's?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Selling bikes whole is pretty much a time/convenience thing. Parting out generally brings a much higher profit.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
binary visions said:
Selling bikes whole is pretty much a time/convenience thing. Parting out generally brings a much higher profit.
I agree completely and have gone both ways with this one. If you've got the time and some boxes sell the frame, headset, front derailleur, and possibly seatpost as one "item" first and mention you can put together more parts if needed. List the rest as individual items. I've done well with the the classifieds here on most things but there are other places too. Generally, the buyers here are a little more knowledgeable than some other mountain bike classified sites.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Parting out takes a lot of work though. You could also get stuck with parts too unless you group them well enough. Like said before, seatpost and clamp with the frame, maybe bottom bracket with the cranks, tires with the wheels, that sort of thing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jimmydean said:
You could also get stuck with parts too
Nah, eBay will get rid of anything.

Except for the seatpost clamp (which really won't sell seperately very often unless it's a nice one), and the headset (which is a pain to remove anyway), I would even sell things like the front derailleur and seatpost seperately if they're even halfway decent.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Cool..thanks for the replies. I haven't even really thought of prices yet on anything, nor have I even started taking the bike apart and prepping it for sale. Soon though.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
It's a 19" frame. It fits me great (6 foot). Pix to come in a bit (when I move this to the sell forum).