Quantcast

To replace my Nikon D50 or go Rebel XT?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
A few weeks ago some one stole my backpack at JFK at the terminal right from out of me. Anyways, my Nikon 50, memory cards, backpack, 40 cd's and mp3 player were all taken.

I got a new i pod but i can decide on weather or not to replce the D50 with another d50 or upgrade to a used d70 or new Rebel XT.

I liked the D50 body but the nikor lense that it came with didnt really do it for me. The Rebel XT has a few more pixels and has a higher point AF system... So, what the general consesus, are the XT's that much nicer than the d50's?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You liked the D50 body but the cheap Nikkor that came with it wasn't good.

The cheap lens that comes with the XT is almost the same as the one that comes with the D50. If you liked the Nikon ergonomics, just get a different lens.

The 18-70 that comes in a kit with the D70 is a nice lens for the money, maybe find a D70 kit?

The two megapixels with the XT will do very little for you - they are not particularly meaningful. I mean, if you want to try the Rebel and go with the Canon equipment, that's absolutely fine, just don't bother if you're switching over an 8 vs 6 megapixel difference.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
boy, does that suck...thieves are not cool people

although i havn't seen it personally, i've been told that higher megapixel count will actually oversharpen some lines (zigzaggin and what not) in smaller prints. so unless you want to go with bigger prints, i'd say stick with the camera body that feels right for you and the options you want. ..and of course, what side of the line you're on: the everlasting nikon versus canon debate.

on a seperate not, let me know what you think/thought of the d50 body...i'm really looking into picking one up myself.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've seen very good pictures taken w/ the kit lens on the canon, so while it's not a great lens by any stretch, it's not a complete waste of $ either, esp if you are just starting out and learning photography.

the 2MP can be of help if you are cropping a shot. lastly, i've heard (but not confirmed) that that the Canon sensor is less sensitive to noise at high ISO as compared to the Nikon. these are likely minor differences that may not be noticeable to you, depending how you use yr camera.

and how does a backpack get stolen right from under you? were you sleeping?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
gsweet said:
although i havn't seen it personally, i've been told that higher megapixel count will actually oversharpen some lines (zigzaggin and what not) in smaller prints. so unless you want to go with bigger prints, i'd say stick with the camera body that feels right for you and the options you want. ..and of course, what side of the line you're on: the everlasting nikon versus canon debate.
I call not true on that statement, making something too big creats stair-stepping. I have printed things from My 8.2MP 1D, 8.2MP 20D, and I have extensivly used the 12.4MP 5D, 16.7MP 1Ds, as well as 22MP and 25MP digital backs on a Hasselblad, from those cameras I have printed wallets, 4x5s, 5x7s ect. and never ever seen the stair-stepping.

As for Mack's dilema, the D70 holds one key advantage over the other 2, it shoots 5fps, the XT and D50 shoot 3fps. They are all made of plastic. The XT will blow either Nikons away over ISO 200, and with high end glass on all the camers, will focus faster. The D50 is the cheapest, and if quality glass is key for you, and everything else about your D50 seemed to work well, I would go for a used D50, and plop down some cash on a quality lens. Remember digital bodies come and go, wear out, get outdated, blow-up ect.; glass last justa bout forever.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
maxyedor said:
As for Mack's dilema, the D70 holds one key advantage over the other 2, it shoots 5fps, the XT and D50 shoot 3fps.
The D70 doesn't shoot 5fps. They all shoot 3fps.

And yeah, that comment about big images causing image artifacts isn't true.

IMO, both Canon and Nikon have plenty of good glass. Pick the camera that has the best ergonomics for you unless there's a particular feature or lens you can point at and say, "I need that".