Quantcast

To the Kiwis and Aussies on this site

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
It interesting how differently ANZAC day is celebrated here, vs. say Veterans Day in the US. It seemed every small town I went through had a parade, or a memorial gathering of some sort. In the states there is just big furniture sales.

Anzac Day in New Zealand is held on 25 April each year to commemorate New Zealanders killed in war and to honour returned servicemen and women. The day has similar importance in Australia, New Zealand's partner in the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli. The ceremony itself has been continually adapted to the times, but has also steadily acquired extra layers of symbolism and meaning.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
DRB said:
What? Surely this is a joke or sarcasm gone wrong.

Excellent y'all get pwn3d by blue. That should be a banning offense.
I think what Dave and Ragin are saying is that Anzac Day is much much more than remembering the Dardenelles campaign or even veterans of all wars but celebrating the beginnings of a distinct identity for Australia and NZ. As such petty arguements over whether Churchill f*cked up or not really have no bearing on this day. Most Aussies and Kiwis would regard Blue's comments as being in slightly bad taste. Politicising Anzac is a big no-no.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
I think its sort of ironic that the original meaning was celebrating a mistake and massive defeat,

Whereas other areas of the world celebrate a victory.

But obviously the meaning of the day has changed the focus towards the other surviving troops that have served their country.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
ragin-sagin said:
It interesting how differently ANZAC day is celebrated here, vs. say Veterans Day in the US. It seemed every small town I went through had a parade, or a memorial gathering of some sort. In the states there is just big furniture sales.
That's pretty damn funny, until you realize how true it is, then it's just sad.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
ragin-sagin said:

Probably more like Memorial Day than Veterans Day....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
N8 said:
Be nice to see some pensioner kick the crap outta blue for that one....
His girlfriend must have cut him off from the vibrator he had pictured in that one thread. He's a little cranky now...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Some of you suffer from a lack of reading comprehension and/or lack of knowledge of history. April 25th, being ANZAC Day, traditionally commemorated the day the invasion began at Gallipoli by the ill-fated ANZAC Corps and other Allied forces. A ceremony is held every year at ANZAC Bay at Gallipoli memorializing their losses. The day has grown into a memorial for the armed forces of the ANZAC nations.

Sorry if you had a homoerotic obsession with Winston, N8, but he was a ****up who considered the ANZACs to be subpar fighting men, whilst the very opposite was true.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
blue said:
Armed Forces worship is COOL!
You don't live in Australia or NZ. I'm guessing you've never been there. Why don't you keep your crappy useless disrespectful comments to yourself. For once.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I understand the signifigance of ANZAC Day, but to suggest that we can't discuss the circumstances that created it because it's too "sacred" is absurd.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
blue said:
I understand the signifigance of ANZAC Day, but to suggest that we can't discuss the circumstances that created it because it's too "sacred" is absurd.
I wouldn't call "Armed forces worship is COOL!" discussing the circumstances. Hear that ice cracking under you?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Given the previous personal attacks in this thread, I'd consider it quite tame.

I piss off Grandpa and I'm the new N8/Loco. This rocks. :thumb:

J

JRB

blue said:
Given the previous personal attacks in this thread, I'd consider it quite tame.

I piss off Grandpa and I'm the new N8/Loco. This rocks. :thumb:
I will gladly pass off the gauntlet.

It's not about what it's for, or what you think it's for. It's about respecting the people and their celebration. If you don't like it, don't say anything. If you don't agree they are right, don't say anything. I don't believe it was started as history class. Imagine people knowing more about their own country than a foreigner. Go clean the puss out of your cuts and be quiet.