Quantcast

To the parent monkies......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Disclaimer-- If this thread gives the power-guy-monkies tears, so be it. If not, well, you must not be a dad.............. yet.

I was looking back yesterday, recalling many moments with Alaina. And I got to thinking-- when was that precise moment that I was over-whelmed by her love? Sure, the time of her birth always will be very special, and believe it or not, when she pee-d on me as we got ready for a shower one night. Of course there are many moments, and like a sales ad, too many details to list. So here's the one--

It was the weekend of her first birthday. My mom, step-dad, and younger brothers arrived from Phoenix to celebrate it. I'm holding Alaina as Mom walks in the door. Of course, Mom makes a beeline towards us and holds her hands out to take Alaina. Mind you, Alaina isn't sure of who this smiling lady is who wants to take her from me. Alaina buries her head into my shoulder, and I feel her tiny hand clutch tighter on my neck. I then tell Alaina it'll be ok, hug Mom, and tell Alaina, "See?" She gives me a look of "ok-if-you-say-so-dad", and leans forward to be held by Mom. Inseparable after that.

So, fellow parents, describe your moment. Ok, if you're not a parent and maybe an aunt/uncle and have a similar story, share it as well.

I need a kleenex, then a good trail ride.....................

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Sitting on the couch with her when she was about 5 months old and she was just sitting there staring at me and trying to smile and make noises. I was done.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
In the delivery room during our first child Cassidy.

I had sung "You are my Sunshine" to the wife's belly constantly during the final months. She came out screaming and inconsolable. My wife held her and she was still going nuts. I started singing it and she turned right toward the sound and became dead silent.

That night, the only way she'd sleep is if I laid with her wrapped up super tight but with one tiny hand free. She held my pinky finger and if it slipped out, she'd wimper. She still holds my pinky at 6 years old. I don't mention that she does it subconsciously cause I don't ever want her to stop.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We had Mad Dog at home with a pair of awesome midwives. The process was after birth, I cut the cord, then they wash the baby, and I float her in a tub of warm water while my wife gets cleaned up. I have a picture at the house of her floating.

20 minutes or so of her with her ears under water and me holding her head with her arms and legs going every which way with their new found room. She didn't cry, not a peep. She was so calm when I was so scared. She just stared right through me and helped me relax.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My son was 3 when he had his tonsil's removed. My ex and I were both there with him when they put him under, but neither of us were they when he came to after the surgery. They nurse wheeled him back into his room, he was crying and scared and mad and drugged and everything else (as you'd expect). My ex went to pick him up and he said, in a very hoarse voice, "I want daddy!" and reached for me. That was a great moment.

But I've been connected with him since he really started to develop/show some personality, around a year and a half or so. He really is me in a little body, so what's not to love.

The down side to this story is I have no moment like that with my daughter. We've never had that same kind of connection, and that bothers me every single day.

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
When my daughter was 3 she got MRSA and was in the hospital for 5 days. She had a large puss pocket in her left thigh, on day three it needed to be drained. So I had to hold her down why they cut 2 - 1" holes to get it all out. Was not easy to be a part of, but would not leave her in there with out me. She's my little trooper. At that point the love was overwhelming from both of us. No love like your kids.

Apr 22, 2003
Lower VT
My daughter, Ava, is two now. She's at that age where she's absorbing language like a sponge, which is both a blessing and a curse. I talk with her whenever I have the chance about anything that she wants to talk about. I asked her a couple of weeks ago if she would be my homegirl. She agreed and asked if I would be her homegirl. I corrected her and she picked it up right away. We talk about so many different things that I didn't hear her say this again. Last week when I picked her up from daycare, which is always fun, the nice daycare ladies were all waiting for me. She had busted out my favorite phrase for no apparent reason during the day, just letting them know that "Daddy is my homeboy." :rofl:

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
When my daughter was 3 she got MRSA and was in the hospital for 5 days. She had a large puss pocket in her left thigh, on day three it needed to be drained. So I had to hold her down why they cut 2 - 1" holes to get it all out. Was not easy to be a part of, but would not leave her in there with out me. She's my little trooper. At that point the love was overwhelming from both of us. No love like your kids.
Holy fawk man that sucks MRSA is no joke my sister had it as an adult and it was scary.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Every day of my life... every time they call me "Daddy"...
i was about to post this. the daily daycare pickup; both come running w/ open arms yelling dadadada! / daddy! (1yr & 4yr olds, respectively). not unlike dogs happy to see their owners, i suppose, but they give better hugs.

really amazing the new range and depth of emotions one experiences w/ parenthood. the love for a child is like none else, in my experience. lots of work, but so worth it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I don't think I could ever point out one moment honestly.

On a daily basis I LOVE the excitement they both have as I pull in the driveway and walk up the stairs to the house.

My oldest daughter has always been clingy to me. I could put her to bed on my chest when nobody else could so we've always been real close.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, on the way to school he first week here, we were on the freeway doing about 65 when she told me she spotted a yellow Vette in the Xerox parking lot (it's about 200+ yards from the freeway). I laughed and said "good eyes" thinking there was no actual Vette. The next day I was on the same stretch alone on the motorcycle when I decided to glance over. Sure enough, there was a yellow Z06 about 200 yards in the parking lot.

When I got home after work, I asked her how she spotted it. She said "I can always tell by the tail lights because they are so awesome". :rofl:

<edit> My girl knows her rides.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Also, on the way to school he first week here, we were on the freeway doing about 65 when she told me she spotted a yellow Vette in the Xerox parking lot (it's about 200+ yards from the freeway). I laughed and said "good eyes" thinking there was no actual Vette. The next day I was on the same stretch alone on the motorcycle when I decided to glance over. Sure enough, there was a yellow Z06 about 200 yards in the parking lot.

When I got home after work, I asked her how she spotted it. She said "I can always tell by the tail lights because they are so awesome". :rofl:

<edit> My girl knows her rides.

:rofl:

That's awesome.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Mine was right away.
My wife had a rough delivery, and as soon as she had Rowan, they gave her two different pain meds and knocked her out. The nurse wrapped Rowan up like a burrito, turned off the lights, handed her to me, and then left the room for 45 minutes.
Well babies are wide awake right after they are born, so for 45 minutes straight we just stared at one another.
I had no clue what the hell I was doing and was freaked out, but it was really calming to be able finally look into her eyes.
I was toast right then and have been ever since.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Mine was right away.
My wife had a rough delivery, and as soon as she had Rowan, they gave her two different pain meds and knocked her out. The nurse wrapped Rowan up like a burrito, turned off the lights, handed her to me, and then left the room for 45 minutes.
Well babies are wide awake right after they are born, so for 45 minutes straight we just stared at one another.
I had no clue what the hell I was doing and was freaked out, but it was really calming to be able finally look into her eyes.
I was toast right then and have been ever since.
Very close to what I was going to say. They whisked my first born to a tray to clean his ears out and other checks while he was wailing away. When they were done, I got to take over, and he opened his eyes for the first time as I was looking down on him.

An amazing moment.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
She pointed that one out this summer. She said "Dad, this is what I want when I turn 16, so I hope you've been saving." How can you NOT love that?
I'm pretty sure I +rep'd you when that first came up.

Observation: the only person I've ever met/e-met who got a properly fast car on their 16th was DMG with his 911, and look how well that went.

Edit: yes, I am bitter because all I got was use of my mom's Volvo 240 when she thought I really needed it.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
When ever I'm away from them (2 girls, 5 &3) for a period of time. Whether its a day or a week. The minute I walk through the door I'm smothered by the both of them. I don't think there is any better feeling than the unconditional love my kids have for me. I feel it in their touch and see it in their eyes.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Interesting that this thread should pop up, had a moment like this just last night.

Wife had a rough day with the kids and so dumped em on me when I got home so she could get some laundry/other stuff done. I swaddled my 5-wk old son up and sat down on the couch. My 2-yr old daughter came over and sat down beside me (which she almost never does for more than a couple minutes). Within about ten minutes, both were sound asleep. With one kid in my arms and the other resting on my side it was a pretty magical moment for me feeling all three of our breathing patterns in sync.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
In the delivery room during our first child Cassidy.

I had sung "You are my Sunshine" to the wife's belly constantly during the final months. She came out screaming and inconsolable. My wife held her and she was still going nuts. I started singing it and she turned right toward the sound and became dead silent.

That night, the only way she'd sleep is if I laid with her wrapped up super tight but with one tiny hand free. She held my pinky finger and if it slipped out, she'd wimper. She still holds my pinky at 6 years old. I don't mention that she does it subconsciously cause I don't ever want her to stop.
Thats awesome, brought a tear to my eye.

Mine was the day after Cole was born. I got to the hopital bright and early and the nurse brought him in and put him in my arms. He didnt leave me except for a couple minutes at a time for the next 12 hours.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
So much awesomeness in this thread!!!!

I am overwhelmed with love for my daughter every day! From the simple hugs & kisses & "butterfly kisses" when I drop her off each morning, to her running up to give me a giant squeeze when I pick her up in the afternoon. I especially love it when she calls me to tell me about random things...her voice messages are always saved!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Too many stories to tell in 3 years, but when I was up the lift at the Windham WC Citizen's race, my son looked up from the finish line and yelled, "Bye Dad, have a good race!". Thought of him all the way up the lift and all the way down (and won my class by 2 seconds!).

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
...to her running up to give me a giant squeeze when I pick her up in the afternoon. I especially love it when she calls me to tell me about random things...her voice messages are always saved!
Yes, I love the sound of my girls little 3 year old voice and her randomness on a phone conversation!

My daughter Makenzie was 2, and the wife and I had another one in the oven. Stress levels were running kind of high, busy work schedule, trying to stay on top of things at home, wife not sleeping/feeling well, needing more exercise, etc. We had been taking Makenzie to a daycare that we weren't thrilled with but seemed to be the best option at the time. I came to pick her up after work one day, witnessed the last straw with that daycare and promptly ended her care there on the spot. Got a little ugly with the daycare provider (reasonably, but daycare raised her voice with me in front of my daughter), but Makenzie was clearly upset about it afterwards and pulled a crazy 2-yr-old tantrum when we got home and I couldn't get her settled down. I was just mentally shot...picked her up as she's kicking and screaming, held her close and started to cry at the reality & craziness of life, having no daycare mid-work week, thoughts of being a bad parent leaving her at daycare in the first place, etc. First time she's ever seen me cry...she immediately stopped the tantrum, hugged me tight, put her head on my shoulder, and quietly cuddled with me for the next 10 minutes.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Thats because we are only talking about the good things.

I know there's headaches and heartaches involved too, but the things kids do/say on a daily basis certainly overshadows them. Though I don't have kids of my own, playing with my friends' kids certainly gives me a glimpse of how awesome they are. Especially my 4 month old goddaughter....seeing her smile makes everything else seem trivial at that moment.

Teenagers on the other hand......:rofl::rofl:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
This likley isn't the place for this....but blue is a total ass.
he neg rep'ed me for my post near the top about the tag

To the parent... 09-23-2010 03:38 PM blue the internet is a poor grieving tool. you're welcome.
He has repeatedly thrown his two cent in about "womb turds".....

We get it. You aren't interested in kids. So go back to your piece of **** vehicles and keep your goddamned mouth shut. It's also in especially bad taste to talk **** about this particular thread. I hope you get raging ass cancer.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY

I know there's headaches and heartaches involved too, but the things kids do/say on a daily basis certainly overshadows them. Though I don't have kids of my own, playing with my friends' kids certainly gives me a glimpse of how awesome they are. Especially my 4 month old goddaughter....seeing her smile makes everything else seem trivial at that moment.

For real!!!

I love every day with my kids like it was the first but FORGET about yourself and you and your wife's relationship at least for the first few years. Getting a couple beers and a burger together costs $30 more now because you have to hire a sitter. Then the whole time you're there all you are worried about is that the kids are ok at home.My wife and I work to make time but it is difficult and we do miss the down time with each other because of all the running around.

I went to a football the game the other day (i hate football) but all I cared about we getting some time with some guys and out of the house. I was so excited to not have to drive and be able to listen to my headphones in the back seat on the way back..... I mean I was seriously almost in tears I was so happy to listen to uninterrupted music. Thing was, all I could think about was getting back to see my girls before they went to bed..... :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003

:thumb: I think you've got it! I know I am a the luckiest mom that gets to have the world's greatest kid, husband and life, but with an attitude like this, Joe, you'll make a great dad too!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
:thumb: I think you've got it! I know I am a the luckiest mom that gets to have the world's greatest kid, husband and life, but with an attitude like this, Joe, you'll make a great dad too!
:thumb:

From the age of 16 or so I've always known I wanted kids, which (I think) is pretty rare for a teenage boy to think/feel. Kids have always been drawn to me....whether it's relatives, friends' kids or even complete strangers, I seem to be a magnet for the youngins. I think it's probably the fact I'm a big teddy bear of an 8 year old stuck in a big, hairy 24 year old body.:rofl:

Now finding a woman who can be my babies' momma........that's the challenge.:p

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Thats because we are only talking about the good things.
Ha, ain't that the truth. Like my son annoying me the other day while I was watching telly by continually trying to give me nipple cripples. I asked him why he was being so annoying and he said "that's my job". Couldn't fault his thought process.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Ok, gang, I can't help but reply, being the starter of this thread and all. I will first say that even with the hint of "things to come with teenagers" comments, since they are still yours, you know you'll over-look whatever it is they do and love the heck out of them.

Isn't it interesting the different moments that come to mind? And it doesn't matter the moment, once a parent, the newbie has you wrapped beyond words. Is it trying? Does life change? Time takes on a whole new meaning, and yes, to get those few moments to yourself makes those moments so much better, yet I know, and will bet my house on it, that you still think of yours and when you get back after your "event".

I toast all of you, those that have posted, and those that have read. May you find joy, happiness, love, and satisfaction in all you do......

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
:thumb:

From the age of 16 or so I've always known I wanted kids, which (I think) is pretty rare for a teenage boy to think/feel. Kids have always been drawn to me....whether it's relatives, friends' kids or even complete strangers, I seem to be a magnet for the youngins. I think it's probably the fact I'm a big teddy bear of an 8 year old stuck in a big, hairy 24 year old body.:rofl:

Now finding a woman who can be my babies' momma........that's the challenge.:p
You'll find your Ms. CrabJoe StretchPants and have your family one day, I'm sure of it!