Quantcast

today's Ano project!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
bullcrew, think you could ask a mod for a stickie with as close to a definitive pricing list as possible?

i just remembered my next frame will have polished stays, which i detest.

oh, and you know...since you can do camo, you can, in theory, do panels, right?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nice, I think I want to work at there :D

Sounds like fun to be able to play with some new colors/processes on bike parts.

Obviously, I think that pink camo is ugly and awful but hey, it's different :p

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
All the frames i have with custom powdercoating look 1000% better once the factory sticker kit is installed and the bike is built up.

snapshots of the frame without stickers dont do it justice. The same can probably be said for your ano frame bullcrew.

Also, with the Anodize process, arent you very limited about changing the colors? I mean, on the pink and black camo frame for example, you can't change to a lighter SOLID color like silver or orange cause the old colors will bleed thru?

Also, with bead blasted aluminum frame, because the surface is textured, arent you limited as far as stickers go ? Will stickers adhere to that frame? Wont dirt and dust eventually work its way under the perimeter of the typical frame decal kit on an bead blasted frame?

Do you have a source for laser etching?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Not to be a jerk, but there are a bunch of tutorials online on how to do a really good camo effect. The key to camo is overlaying patterns, while yours is closer to a blurred cloud effect.

If you want, i can send you some neat techniques that will actually be easier then what you're doing, and the effects are awesome!

Great job on the annodizing, i'm seriously considering sending some stuff in....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Jimmy_Pop said:
All the frames i have with custom powdercoating look 1000% better once the factory sticker kit is installed and the bike is built up.

snapshots of the frame without stickers dont do it justice. The same can probably be said for your ano frame bullcrew.

Also, with the Anodize process, arent you very limited about changing the colors? I mean, on the pink and black camo frame for example, you can't change to a lighter SOLID color like silver or orange cause the old colors will bleed thru?

Also, with bead blasted aluminum frame, because the surface is textured, arent you limited as far as stickers go ? Will stickers adhere to that frame? Wont dirt and dust eventually work its way under the perimeter of the typical frame decal kit on an bead blasted frame?

Do you have a source for laser etching?
No I can change colors the are at different ends of the primary spectrum. Ano masking, masking gel are just a couple of ways to have zero bleed in the colors. That pink was done first and sat in black dye at 160+ degrees for 10 minutes with no bleed.
Yes to source on laser etching, viynl plotter on the way as well.
Adhesives will stick fine as long as you #1 usethe right kind and #2 adhere it and use a rubber tip pointer to press edges.
No dirt won't because the frames are puyt in the etche for 30 sec - 1min 30 sec to take the tips off the micro finish. All crucial areas are masked for protection in the process.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
mysticfalcon said:
That looks very nicely dont but I'll hold my opinion on the colors to myself. I cant wait to see what mine looks like when your done with it.
Working on it right now. I'll have pics later. 12+ hours on that one and 7 so far on yours started sun.
The pink was needed by thur at latest for a gift, and had to be fully built.
AAAHHHH! long hours. 5:15 am to 7:35pm yesterday and 3pm - 7pm on sunday getting them prepped.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
dropmachine.com said:
Not to be a jerk, but there are a bunch of tutorials online on how to do a really good camo effect. The key to camo is overlaying patterns, while yours is closer to a blurred cloud effect.

If you want, i can send you some neat techniques that will actually be easier then what you're doing, and the effects are awesome!

Great job on the annodizing, i'm seriously considering sending some stuff in....
Thanks, but as far as masking being easier, it's not. Try your masking on a corner or over a cnc'd area. Good luck!
I can pull a tight pattern or a feathered edge pattern as well as outlines on the secondary color just by spray pattern and circumfrence covered.
Yeah there is alot of how to's just not alot of ones that work like they are supposed to.
Go to our site and visit the galleries then go to others sites and look at the difference. Check out the pb section as it will be updated more frequently then the MB section due to the volumw of markers we do.
There's a digi camo marker that will be posted by weeks end, tight lines and 3 to 4 colors all without bleed through.
I do thank you for the suggestions that's cool. Always appreciate someone trying to help or save me time. :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
In the late 80's I had a pink Dyno freestyle bike, at some point I took a can of black spray paint to it and it ended up looking a lot like that. I'm sure yours is more durable. :) Anyway, like some others have said I'm not crazy about the actual end results you're getting but it's cool that you get to mess around with this stuff, keep it coming.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OGRipper said:
In the late 80's I had a pink Dyno freestyle bike, at some point I took a can of black spray paint to it and it ended up looking a lot like that. I'm sure yours is more durable. :) Anyway, like some others have said I'm not crazy about the actual end results you're getting but it's cool that you get to mess around with this stuff, keep it coming.
Yeah, it's SSSLLLLIIIIGHTLLLLLYYYY more durable! :D
Thats cool, in the 80's I had feathered hair and parachute pants.:cool:
Yeah, I'll post the projects for teh feedback, It helps us find new ideas and what people want. Plus it's just plain fun to read all the thought some extremely creative.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Beauty :thumb: Bullcrew, these look good, but you might want to do some research into how actual camo patterns are formed. I know it's been mentioned before, but I think it would be worthwhile to get it right. You have the tools and the skills though, so make it happen and perfect it!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Cool, I wanted to see the pics of it semi built. I like :thumb:
As far as camo pattern then how in the world did digy camo appear. Sure doesn't look like natural woods pattern to me or urban for that matter :D Camo is a pattern of overlays and designs, from flowing to distinct edging. There are probably thousands of different patterns and designs. I do what flows and can edge what needs to be, hell I live in Idaho (north) where rednecks, cheap bear, camo and drunk hunting first came together. :D
I appreciate the recognition on the skills thats cool. Thanks!

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
anodizing is like powdercoating in that it has a thickness to it. How do you manage the tolerances of the bearing areas?

I have send out pieces to be anodized (floating brake) and when they came back, the bearings would not go in. I got a BFH and made them fit and ofcourse the bearing failed immediately.

Im curious how you approach your anodizing process with relation to how it changes critical machined surfaces.

Thanks,

joel

mysticfalcon

Chimp
Dec 20, 2005
Derby VT
my bearing surfaces and BB threads were fine. actualy knocked 125g off the frame with the ano. thats as far as the building will go till my new headset gets here. right now the bike is in that shape at the LBS on display as the cool item of the week.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
mysticfalcon said:
my bearing surfaces and BB threads were fine. actualy knocked 125g off the frame with the ano. thats as far as the building will go till my new headset gets here. right now the bike is in that shape at the LBS on display as the cool item of the week.
Sorry, my question was really intended for Bullcrew. I PM'd him this same question a while back and never got a responce. I'd like to get my frame done but now that I've got alittle experience with Ano and I want to see if there is a method to the maddness with respect to tolerances. There is more to it than just dipping.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I will get some shots this weekend. I think we were going to shoot some at New Years, but then the camera ran out of juice and then I got really drunk and started doing drops on the bike.

I'll get them to you sometime over the weekend. Bike turned out GREAT!!! Really happy with Bullcrew's work.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country

Could you do my hardtail. I just want it to be anodized red and grey just like how the stickers are and all the rest clear. Could you make the edges sharp like a sticker? The stickers are coming off and this frame really looks good with the stickers.

Also, could you put my name on it in red or grey in the same style and place as the evolution sticker?