Quantcast

Today's MBC home project (totally NBR)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So we're in Lowes today and MBC decides she wants to replace the bathroom faucet. Today.

This was the old faucet. It was real piece of garbage and didn't work all that well. I'm guessing it's the original from 1960.

And the new one. It swivels!

She had to do some drilling and dremelling to the sink to get it secured. All in all, she done good! Not bad for a spur-of-the-moment project. :thumb: :love: I didn't lift a finger to help (actually, she just wanted me to keep away :D ).

J

JRB

You two won't shoot yourselves if you know that I have that same soap dispenser, will you???

Nice faucet. I hope Phil at least fetched drinks like a good little helper.

johnbryanpeters said:
Nice! What happened with the garbage disposal project?
It's kind of on hold until I can get a new mounting assembly.

This thing was put together very badly:

You can kind of see how the clip doesn't actually go over the lip

This is the back side - properly fitting together

oh yeah, and see the corner of the toilet in the pic of the new faucet? We put that in ourselves last April. I think that's when I really got the ITCH to do my home projects :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Off topic, but what does NBR mean? I see it all the time and it bugs me that I have no clue what it is.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MtnBikerChk said:
It's kind of on hold until I can get a new mounting assembly.

This thing was put together very badly:

You can kind of see how the clip doesn't actually go over the lip

This is the back side - properly fitting together

oh yeah, and see the corner of the toilet in the pic of the new faucet? We put that in ourselves last April. I think that's when I really got the ITCH to do my home projects :)
The disposal is an easy fix. Loose the set screws all the way, loosen that fitting that holds the disposal to the flange, then push up on the disposal as hard as you can then re secure it. It should go into place.

Brian HCM#1 said:
The disposal is an easy fix. Loose the set screws all the way, loosen that fitting that holds the disposal to the flange, then push up on the disposal as hard as you can then re secure it. It should go into place.
yeah? I'm thinking it's gotta be worse than that - I mean why didn't whoever put it in do it that way?

Also, do I hafta remove the drain pipe to do it? Or maybe that's why it's seated like that - maybe the drain pipe won't reach if it's up a little higher.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MtnBikerChk said:
yeah? I'm thinking it's gotta be worse than that - I mean why didn't whoever put it in do it that way?

Also, do I hafta remove the drain pipe to do it? Or maybe that's why it's seated like that - maybe the drain pipe won't reach if it's up a little higher.
Nope, you don't have to disconnect a thing. Loosen it while holding the base of the disposal, then push up on it and resecure it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Nice work MBC. I have some home improvement projects in line for this summer. A lot of landscaping changes and some indoor projects (including--hopefully--ripping up some carpeting and putting in a hardwood floor).

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MtnBikerChk said:
ok - which ones are the set screws?
My bad, don't touch the screws, that's for securing the flange to the sink.

Align the disposer with the three mounting tabs on the sink mounting assembly. Holding the disposer in place, turn the lower mounting ring until all three tabs are locked into the mounting assembly. The disposer will now hang by itself.

Brian HCM#1 said:
My bad, don't touch the screws, that's for securing the flange to the sink.

Align the disposer with the three mounting tabs on the sink mounting assembly. Holding the disposer in place, turn the lower mounting ring until all three tabs are locked into the mounting assembly. The disposer will now hang by itself.

Sounds like I do have to take apart the drain pipe.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MtnBikerChk said:
Sounds like I do have to take apart the drain pipe.
Yep - you'll have to remove the pipe to move the disposal around.

I had to replace a ~15 yo disposal that wasn't the easily replacable unit like that. Broke the drain flange loose in the process so had to replace that too. Then found out the fvckwit who installed it used some sort of glue instead of plumber's putty - so I had to chip out all the old glue with a chisel all the while praying the cast iron sink didn't break.

:mumble: I hate home repair $hit.

J

JRB

N8 said:
Oh man!!!

You all need some cool blue accents to go with that rockin' brown tile.

A very hip color combo these days.
It's more a brownish mauve. I have that tile too. I want to tile the bathroom floor, but haven't come up with a color. A blue might work.

J

JRB

MtnBikerChk said:
check them biceps!

Sure they look huge, but considering he is the size of a match box, what wouldn't??? :D

*how much lifting does that twig do??? Sheesh.