Quantcast

Today's pix from around the office..... (dial-up, forget it)

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
My dad was an active flight-duty radar navigator on B-52s for 11+ years. He used to call the F-16 (pictured) "the world's most expensive lawn dart". That F-4 looks really cherry to be a plane that's in service...is there a story on that one? Privately owned, maybe?

edit: Is this Barksdale AFB?

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
maxyedor said:
Also shouldn't homeland security be arresting you for snapping pic's of military hardware?
The base will open it's gates to the public for airshows. Looks like N8 is getting an early preview. http://www.barksdaleairshow.org/

Most of the time you'll be able to touch most of the out of service planes and get tours through the airlift planes and larger WWII bombers. At least it was this way when I was a kid. Active planes will be roped off and guarded by MPs, especially the B-2 and F-117.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
moff_quigley said:
The base will open it's gates to the public for airshows. Looks like N8 is getting an early preview. http://www.barksdaleairshow.org/

Most of the time you'll be able to touch most of the out of service planes and get tours through the airlift planes and larger WWII bombers. At least it was this way when I was a kid. Active planes will be roped off and guarded by MPs, especially the B-2 and F-117.

Yep... membership has it's privlages. :)

J

JRB

Big_Papa1080 said:
i think the loudest aircraft ive ever heard was a f-16. those things will shatter your eardrums, but theyre so damned cool. f-15's are pretty loud too.
F-15s always seemed loudest when they fueled at RAFB in SA. Every car alarm for 8 miles would go off.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Big_Papa1080 said:
i think the loudest aircraft ive ever heard was a f-16. those things will shatter your eardrums, but theyre so damned cool. f-15's are pretty loud too.

F-18's are the loudest that I've heard....

However the B-1 Lancer is freeking loud too...

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
f-18's didnt bother me too much, i thought the one f-16 they had at the airshow i used to go to was louder than all of the blue angels. granted the blue angels didnt buzz the crowd at 500 ft like the f-16 did.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The loudest I've heard was 2 F15E at about 100 feet in the middle of the night. I was curled up in a nice little hidey hole dead asleep and they came in low and fast. ..... a little pee might have slipped out... just maybe....

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The loudest I've heard is whatever that jet was that buzzed me while I was riding down the access road in San Antonio.:mumble:

When I was growing up we use to have C-130s and C-5s doing circles over the house practicing touch and gos. Also, plenty of B-52s flying into Kelly for refits.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
We get B-2 flybys here pretty frequently. They have quite the rumble. I think the oddest sounding fighter that I have ever heard was an F-14 doing acrobatics at an airshow at Offutt AFB.