Quantcast

Today's Ride SUCKED

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
I am more likely to use a towel if it's a cold time of the month. If you are asking if I have a cycle, the answer to that is no. I shave my legs, junk and trim the pits with a 1/2" clipper guard, but I have no woman parts.

WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION :disgust1:

so i went to the lbs.

$48 later i have a Specialized pump on my bike, a spare tube, those black plastic thing-a-majigs that pull the tire out from the rim, a replaced rear wheel tube and the knowledge of how to do it. :happydance:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Cool!!

You should add this to your repertoire for when you get the second flat...

http://bicycling.about.com/od/bikemaintenance/ss/patch_tube.htm
here's the thing...i was talking with the kid at the lbs and told him that one of my friends said to find what caused the flat to make sure that it doesn't do the same thing to the new tube. he/we searched the tire and there was no puncture evident. so he told me "sometimes they just go flat". :think:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
here's the thing...i was talking with the kid at the lbs and told him that one of my friends said to find what caused the flat to make sure that it doesn't do the same thing to the new tube. he/we searched the tire and there was no puncture evident. so he told me "sometimes they just go flat". :think:
If you run over a thorn that doesn't embed itself in the tire then the tire will go flat and you'll not see any evidence of anything.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Check to see if the rim tape is covering all spoke holes. Rim tape is the protective material that lines the inside of the rim. It is often an off white tape and sometimes or a narrow rubber band.

Did they tell you what snake bites, or pinch flats are?

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Check to see if the rim tape is covering all spoke holes. Rim tape is the protective material that lines the inside of the rim. It is often an off white tape and sometimes or a narrow rubber band.

Did they tell you what snake bites, or pinch flats are?
no...and i was a little disappointed that he didn't show me how he got the rear wheel off....he just popped it off while i was talking with the girl in the shop and then proceeded to show me how to replace the tube. after talking with one of my buddies in texas he said that for the rear wheel you have to make sure the bike is in a certain gear before taking off the rear wheel?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
no...and i was a little disappointed that he didn't show me how he got the rear wheel off....he just popped it off while i was talking with the girl in the shop and then proceeded to show me how to replace the tube. after talking with one of my buddies in texas he said that for the rear wheel you have to make sure the bike is in a certain gear before taking off the rear wheel?
Yup. Make sure it's in the smallest cog on the freewheel. Makes for much easier installation.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Pinch flats occur when the tube is pinched between the rim and the tire. Common causes are too low tire pressure and hitting square edged obstacles. It's called a snake bite because there will be two holes on either side of the tube.

The next time you take it to your lbs watch what the mechanic is doing, and ask questions if they are not too busy.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
2. mini logs - i hate them. more like i hate myself that i can't go over them. i took the green trail because it's a little more technical...especially for me. but the folliage has grown in a lot and there were a lot more downed logs. i felt like every few feet i was having to get off my bike, cross them, then back on. and i KNOW these are things that you all can do without looking...but i don't ride with anyone so i have no one to show me and help me and boost my confidence up to deal with them. :(
Here's a little photo help on the ideas involved:

http://www.bmxbasics.org/new/bmx0703.html

and this is what you are working towards:

I find the seat height(butt bounces off seat) to be the limited factor for me on bunnyhop height.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Actually - the second from the smallest, which is the 3rd actual cog, makes it easiest. The chain line works far better for alignment than using "high" gear. :lighten:
That is actually correct, for the disbeleivers, try it, youll see. Chain is a little easier to deal with, and the upper jockey wheel is in a better position for reinstalling the wheel.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
That is actually correct, for the disbeleivers, try it, youll see. Chain is a little easier to deal with, and the upper jockey wheel is in a better position for reinstalling the wheel.

i believe!!

i had to replace the rear wheel tube AGAIN. this time i did it myself. :monkeydance: following these RM instructions...it was a breeze.

only question/issue i have is this...through some advice from one of my texas buddies i was able to figure out where the leak was on the tube. but comparing it to where it was on the tire, i still come up short as to why it had a puncture. he said that he thinks it odd that the new tube would go flat so soon and suggested that there's gotta be a reason. i ran my hand all over the inside of the tire and nothing. is it possible it's just coincidence?

also, how many tubes can one go through in what period of time?

and finally...the last tube i got (which is now on the wheel) was a specialized tube from the LBS. should i stick with the same one again? is there a quality factor in tubes that i should stick with or can i get a tube in walmart? and how many tubes should i be carrying with me?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I go through tubes like water. I buy el cheapo tubes, they last long enough (until I pinch flat or run over a thorn). What tires are you running? What pressure?

Did you change it on the trail? I hope you did.

Don't look like a tool, put the pump in your pack like Johnny recommended.

Also, remove all the reflectors and plactic **** that easily breaks and falls off on the trail.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
I go through tubes like water. I buy el cheapo tubes, they last long enough (until I pinch flat or run over a thorn). What tires are you running? What pressure?

Did you change it on the trail? I hope you did.

Don't look like a tool, put the pump in your pack like Johnny recommended.

Also, remove all the reflectors and plactic **** that easily breaks and falls off on the trail.
my tires are 26x2.10...honestly...that means nothing to me as a noob. the pressure? not sure. my pump is a hand pump (which is on the bike :rolleyes:). i pumped it till i could no longer push in on it. (real technical there). :bonk:

no i didn't change it on the trail...i didn't even know i had a flat until i went to go for a ride...it got flat overnight in the house. i had ridden it a few times since the last change.

will do on the reflectors...i've been talked to about them a gazillion times now. didn't realize peeps had such an aversion to them. :banghead: :biggrin:

someone mentioned about something i can put between the tube and the tire for a little protection??? but i can't remember what it was...is it worth it? or just stock up on tubes?

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I stock up on cheap tubes. They all leak to some extent, and they will all be flatted at one time or another. I just replace them on the trail and when I have a bunch with holes in them, I spend an evening patching tubes.