Quantcast

Today's Yield:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
:drool:

Ive got alot more ALMOST ready on the vine. All from just these two planters I got:)

See?

Now I have TOO MANY tomatos to know what to do with. Anyone know of a good recipe for spaghetti sauce made from fresh maters that will keep? Frozen, I guess? Canned?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Tenchiro said:
Very nice, but they don't look ripe.
They are very close, and I've been losing too many to bugs to chance it. My botany teacher says picking them at the point they are beginning to turn red will NOT affect taste, only doing it when much greener.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You'll get more useful responses in the B&F forum, but hows about homemade ketchup?

INGREDIENTS:
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 onion, thinly sliced

4 cloves garlic, sliced

1/4 teaspoon cloves

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1/2 teaspoon chile flakes

1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

4 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks or two 14.5-ounce cans chopped tomatoes

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup distilled vinegar

1 tablespoon kosher salt

INSTRUCTIONS:
Heat oil over medium in a large saucepan. Add onion and saute until golden, about 15 minutes. Add garlic, cloves, allspice, chile flakes, ancho chile powder and mustard seeds and cook for 1-2 minutes, until aromatic.

Add tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a light simmer and cook 35 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep from burning.

Remove from heat and blend or process until smooth. Press through a fine strainer into a clean saucepan, pressing on the solids hard to push as much through as possible.

Cook over medium heat for another 15 minutes until thick, stirring to keep it from sticking. Cool before serving.

Variation: You can add any of the following spices for a different flavor: 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 tablespoon minced ginger, a half head of roasted garlic, or 1 tablespoon harissa.

Yields 1 1/4 cups

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ketchup? I dont think so. I dont eat so many foods that require it.

Im thinking tomato sauce/ pasta sauce for spaghetti/lasagna/italian sausage sammiches :drool:

And some Salsa too. Ill have well over 100 tomatos by the time its said and done 10 plants makes alot more maters than I thought.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
BurlyShirley said:
Now I have TOO MANY tomatos to know what to do with. Anyone know of a good recipe for spaghetti sauce made from fresh maters that will keep? Frozen, I guess? Canned?
I'm jealous. Here in NY we're a couple of weeks away. I have some black cherry tomatoes that MIGHT be ready by next week. With all of this rain and no sun though....:mad:

What variety are those?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
These are "Better Boy" variety.

I picked them because they're a pretty basic tomato. I didnt want some monstrous beefsteak things breaking the plants, or cherrys, so I picked something in the middle. very tasty the ones Ive had on sandwiches and stuff so far.

I still have time to start a whole other crop from seeds if I really wanted to, TN is good like that.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Tomato sandwichs

Bread of your choice
A little mayo
Sliced Tomato
a little salt and pepper to taste
Maybe a leaf of lettice?

I didn't think I would like them but I did.....

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
BurlyShirley said:

Yeah they freeze well if you want to keep them for later in the year. :)

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I saw Alton Brown make a baked tomato sauce on Food Network, you could probably find the recipe on their site. I'd look it up for you, but they're your 'maters'.....

www.foodtv.com

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
fluff said:
There's got to be so many jokes about you liking Better Boys... Breeding them, picking them, eating them.... but I can't make it work!:mumble:
You forgot cutting a slice of one! Hee hee hee, just adding to the torment Birley!:D But FYI, there IS a BIG RAINBOW variety in case you want to know!:rofl:

All jokes aside, Birley, you can wrap those tomatos up in newspaper and put them on your window sill and they'll get real red. Also if you are worried about bugs, buy some Schultz bug spray good for veggies. I use it and it keeps them away from my hot peppers. But re-do it after it rains. Get under the leaves by spraying up. Works for me.

I take it you got those LITTLE tiny red back cricket bastuds that bug my plants too. No pun intended.

Also, you mention "Now I have TOO MANY tomatos to know what to do with."

I got a suggestion... send them to ME DAMMIT!!!!

Slice em up in 1/4 inch slices, put them on a plate with a 1/4 inch thick slice of fresh mozerella ball cheese, not grated, FRESH, and then drizzle over it a mix of balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, oregano, and a little Grey Poupon dijon mustard. Then add some fresh basil on top . MMMMmmmmmm! Just like Ruth Chris steak house. Yum yum!

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Other ideas.

From the "Blue Thing's" home office in Milwaukee,
The Top Ten Things you can do with tomatos.
Number 10) Wash your ex bosses car with 'em.
Number 9) Substitute ''bosses'' with ''ex-girlfriend's'' in number 10.
Number 8) Save them until Halloween.
Number 7) Take them ametuer night at the local comedy club!!
Number 6) Stuff 'em up your friend's car tail pipe and see what happens.
Number 5) Throw 'em onto the track during the Kentucky derby to see what happens!
Number 4) Throw 'em over the fence of the white house to see what happens!
Number 3) Throw 'em at a cop car and see what happens.
Number 2) Throw 'em at cars going the other way and see what happens.
And the Number 1 thing you can do with Tomatos)
Drop them from the 25th floor over the front entrance of the Jenny Craig building during lunch hour.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
OGRipper said:
You'll get more useful responses in the B&F forum, but hows about homemade ketchup?
Flashback to the movie "Vacation"

Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) to Cousin Eddy: "Real Tomato ketchup Ed?"

Cousin Eddy: "Nothing but the best!"

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Still waiting for ours to yield up here but one thing we made a lot of last year was pasta. I can't remember where I found the recipe or if I made it up but...
I took a bowlful of smaller roma and cherry tomatoes, sliced and seeded them, mixed in some pressed garlic and fresh basil, grilled and sliced some pork andoullie from Whole Foods and tossed it all together with the pasta. Red chili flakes and parma reggiano to taste.

For some extra kick, toss in some fresh seeded and chopped serrano peppers.
Worked well with Yellowhawk Cellars' dry Lemberger Rose from Walla Walla.