Quantcast

Toes tingle?

searching7

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
My toes on my left foot start to tingle after riding over a half hour. I think it some circulation problem, but I was wondering if anyone else has a similar problem or ideas on solving it. Thanks

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
on my mountain bike, sometimes, not on my road bike though. Try playing with your shoes and your cleats - move the cleats forward or back, try riding with yoru shoes a little tighter/looser. Also, make sure you're butt is where it should be on yoru saddle for optimum comfort.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Primary reasons:
1. shoes too tight
2. improper cleat placement
3. bad/no insole
4. weak sole shoes

Start with #1, make changes one at a time with a ride or two between changes until you find the solution.

Solutions:
1. loosen 'em.
2. get a pro-fit or figure it out yourself, read about fitting, I recommend learning and doing it yourself.
3. I recommend : http://yoursole.com/
4. Try on various shoes with really hard soles. When in the store, try bending them. If you can, don't waste your time. (I love my Sidi Laser shoes with the really strong sole. Was using cheap Diadora Leggera's before cuz I liked the Diadora Gekos)

#1 wasn't an issue for me, but I did #2-4.

I keep my shoes slightly loose unless I need 'em tighter, then pull on the rachet while riding, loosen 'em afterwards. I always keep the velcro strap at the front of the shoe fairly loose.

Good luck, happy riding!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i get tingling in my teeth and ears when riding hard in the cold... listen to L. o' pie's advice about the shoes tho, as he speaks the truth.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LordOpie said:
Primary reasons:
1. shoes too tight
2. improper cleat placement
3. bad/no insole
4. weak sole shoes

Start with #1, make changes one at a time with a ride or two between changes until you find the solution.

Solutions:
1. loosen 'em.
2. get a pro-fit or figure it out yourself, read about fitting, I recommend learning and doing it yourself.
3. I recommend : http://yoursole.com/
4. Try on various shoes with really hard soles. When in the store, try bending them. If you can, don't waste your time. (I love my Sidi Laser shoes with the really strong sole. Was using cheap Diadora Leggera's before cuz I liked the Diadora Gekos)

#1 wasn't an issue for me, but I did #2-4.

I keep my shoes slightly loose unless I need 'em tighter, then pull on the rachet while riding, loosen 'em afterwards. I always keep the velcro strap at the front of the shoe fairly loose.

Good luck, happy riding!
I think it is #2 which is most important, or the least obvious. Center the cleat over the ball of your foot as a start...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
jacksonpt said:
on my mountain bike, sometimes...
Haven't had any problem on the mountain bike and today I rode my big bike with Time Z-control pedals and my foot started hurting. I have just been riding with regular times until today.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
LordOpie is right on it.

Circulation is one of the biggest reasons. Find something that will support your arch properly and also will allow your toes enough room for movement. I used to ride my road shoes a half size too small and my right toes would fall asleep after an hour and half or so. Upgraded to a bigger size and while doing so put in a new insole and my feet are perfectly ready to go.

Superfeet makes one that is moldable - as do many shoe makers. Check your LBS, and if they don't have something in stock try a walking/running high end store around you.

If the cleat adjustment is off you'll normally find you have hotspots or your knee/ankle will start feeling funny during or maybe even after the ride.

let us know what you find!