Quantcast

Toke up, hippies!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=16574

Flight attendant I know got popped today for a whiz-quiz, alcohol test, and a safety audit. I wonder how disproportionately CO and WA based employee groups are going to be hit for "random" tests while the airline plays catch up? I personally haven't been tested in years.
Safety sensitive position, she doesn't get to do "what she wants". Neither do I. FAA penalties for Hazmat and Drug Program violations are huge, way more than violating "normal" regulations, they want that stuff locked-down so as not to endanger the traveling public.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Safety sensitive position, she doesn't get to do "what she wants". Neither do I. FAA penalties for Hazmat and Drug Program violations are huge, way more than violating "normal" regulations, they want that stuff locked-down so as not to endanger the traveling public.
So can you pee for me, bro? :panic:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
The issue that I have with it is that the wacky weed stays in your system LONG after any ill effects... I wonder how long it's going to take the first lawsuit to force employers to use more accurate testing to determine someone's level of impairment? Can a company fire you for using something legally on your off-hours if it makes zero difference on your ability to do your job?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The issue that I have with it is that the wacky weed stays in your system LONG after any ill effects... I wonder how long it's going to take the first lawsuit to force employers to use more accurate testing to determine someone's level of impairment? Can a company fire you for using something legally on your off-hours if it makes zero difference on your ability to do your job?
The precedent has been set. Posting from my phone so I'm not going to dig around for it, but there was a case in CO recently where (iirc) Comcast fired a guy with a legit medical issue for smoking weed with a state issued medical card, who never worked while impared. For people working in positions like myself, since the Feds still think that smoking weed on the weekend = a hard core meth habit, my employer absolutely has every right to terminate someone who pees hot.

*edit; it's my understanding that a saliva test can be done to determine more immediate impairment, but that said test is also several orders of magnitude more costly that the old fashioned pee test.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Best thing about my Avis rental car? The free pot!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

“I have had customers come up to the counter and give it to us, asking ‘Do you want it?’” the Avis rental agent said, adding that she immediately declines and offers to help the customer dispose of it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
HOA's suck ass.

Homeowners' associations can't ban members from using marijuana in their homes when it's legal. But if neighbors can see or smell weed, the law is clear — HOAs have every right to regulate the drug as a nuisance, or a threat to children along the lines of a swimming pool with no fence.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you can get it from the corner tax free for less, then it makes sense for some folks. As long as the MSRP is above the street price, the market will flourish. Even if the price comes down, there is still a lot of unregulated grows that need to go somewhere.

<edit> Under Oregon medical MJ, you can have (I think) 5 mature plants with as many as 20 seedlings or some crazy crap. If 1 plant can produce between .5 and 1 pound per, that is 2.5-5+ pounds a year. Cheech and Chong didn't even smoke a pound a year and Colorado gives you even more room. Damn...

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I'm of the opinion that we kind of put the cart before the horse as far as taxes go. I voted for legalization but against a second ballot issue for increasing marijuana taxes above what the legalization initiative called for. Unfortunately (In my opinion) the second initiative passed overwhelmingly. I think that if we had legalized first, with what was already a fairly high tax rate, and established a legit market, the so called "underground" market would be a lot smaller, and then we could talk about raising additional taxes.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Taxes are what motivates the states to legalize.
Anyone with connections won't buy legally, why would you unless your dealer is out of town?
Wifey was just in CO and the pricing she quoted me was laughable unless you're a tourist or an asshole.
That will all sort itself out soon enough though once supply equalizes and the hassles of being a legit dealer (banking, confidence the DEA wont rappel onto your rooftop at any moment) ease.
The laws in MA are so lax I'm not even going to bother getting a med card as better/cheaper bud is everywhere.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Anyone with connections won't buy legally, why would you unless your dealer is out of town?
Wifey was just in CO and the pricing she quoted me was laughable unless you're a tourist or an asshole.
That will all sort itself out soon enough though once supply equalizes and the hassles of being a legit dealer (banking, confidence the DEA wont rappel onto your rooftop at any moment) ease.
The laws in MA are so lax I'm not even going to bother getting a med card as better/cheaper bud is everywhere.
One of the advantages of having a card in Oregon is you can get it from a dispensary if your connection is dry or unavailable. While not great prices, $10/gram $120/quarter is about street price and its untaxed. One disadvantage is it's $250 for the doc visit and $150 or $200 a year for your card. So at least $400 just for the card. You can grow it yourself of pay the $50 to list someone to grow for you, but it's not like Portland is a dry town or anything.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
uh, dude, sorry to rumble ya in public, but ---- $10.00 a gram is $70.00 a Q.:busted:

but if ya wanna give me a buck-twenty for a Q, who am I to say no :happydance:

Local is 10 a gram, or 60 a Q.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
In the past 4 weeks two recreational weed stores have opened here. They are about a block from each other. On the weekends I've seen lines out the door and around the corner.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
The state of Colorado disagrees. IMO, these figures show that people want to buy legally. Sure, you could get weed from some shady guy your cousin knows for a couple bucks cheaper, but I don't think that's what most people want. They want marijuana treated like alcohol. They want to buy it like alcohol, legally, in the daylight, and they don't want to have to sweat about the po-po. It's my suspicion, that most people still buying from their old dealers, do so out of habit, or because they are more likely the sort borderline, addictive personality type of user who "need" to do a wake and bake with a cup of coffee in the morning, burn one at lunch, and than have one after dinner to relax for the evening.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
In both cases, the deaths were related to cardiovascular complications. In one of the deaths, a 23-year-old man without a history of health problems suddenly collapsed while using public transportation, and died after 40 minutes of unsuccessful resuscitation efforts, according to the case report based on postmortem investigations. The man had a small amount of marijuana in his pockets when he was found, according to the researchers at the Institute of Legal Medicine, University Hospital Duesseldorf in Germany, who reported the case.

In the second case described in the report, a 28-year-old man was found dead at home by his girlfriend. An ashtray, rolling paper and a sealable plastic bag containing remnants of marijuana were found next to the body. The man had occasionally used cannabis, the researchers wrote. He had also abused alcohol and drugs, such as amphetamines and cocaine until about two years before his death, they wrote
Marijuana is the problem? :think:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
The state of Colorado disagrees. IMO, these figures show that people want to buy legally. Sure, you could get weed from some shady guy your cousin knows for a couple bucks cheaper, but I don't think that's what most people want. They want marijuana treated like alcohol. They want to buy it like alcohol, legally, in the daylight, and they don't want to have to sweat about the po-po. It's my suspicion, that most people still buying from their old dealers, do so out of habit, or because they are more likely the sort borderline, addictive personality type of user who "need" to do a wake and bake with a cup of coffee in the morning, burn one at lunch, and than have one after dinner to relax for the evening.
Anecdotally related: Good friend and co-worker's last night was Monday. He's retired army, and was with the airline long enough to retire from here with flight benefits. Tuesday he and his wife went to the only rec shop in El Paso county and bought a quarter, because they could.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Anecdotally related: Good friend and co-worker's last night was Monday. He's retired army, and was with the airline long enough to retire from here with flight benefits. Tuesday he and his wife went to the only rec shop in El Paso county and bought a quarter, because they could.
I think legal sales are great and can appreciate the convenience.
That said, I didn't buy the bulk of my weed from coffeeshops while living in NL either.
My point was that high tax rates encourage many to continue using the black market, especially those who don't need a shady corner dealer and who have access to great weed.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I think legal sales are great and can appreciate the convenience.
That said, I didn't buy the bulk of my weed from coffeeshops while living in NL either.
My point was that high tax rates encourage many to continue using the black market, especially those who don't need a shady corner dealer and who have access to great weed.
I absolutely agree. It's why I voted against the additional taxation when legalization was being considered, but here we are. I'm convinced that the underground market is doing as well as it is for solely this reason.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Make it rain in Washington, $1M in tax revenue for 1 month of sales.

Washington&#8217;s marijuana market has seen $3.8 million in sales, and raised right around $1 million in new tax revenue for the state, according to NBC News. The important thing to remember about those figures is that they are coming in from 18 total stores spread across the state which have opened for business, despite the fact that around forty stores received licensing.