Quantcast

Toke up, hippies!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
In short, WA seems to have made the process to open and run a shop pretty onerous. CO way overplayed it's hand on taxation and has, if anything, made black market selling even more lucrative as a result.
i have heard that people are still going to their dealers in CO because of price in stores...if i was them, id be fine with buying it legally(!!) in a store...more variety, better quality...that is, unless pricing is bananas

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
i have heard that people are still going to their dealers in CO because of price in stores...if i was them, id be fine with buying it legally(!!) in a store...more variety, better quality...that is, unless pricing is bananas
My understanding, is that pricing is bananas. That said, it does seem that a lot of people are buying legit, though I think that most of these people are people who weren't smoking before it became "legal", or were perhaps just very infrequent smokers. It seems that anyone who was any kind of regular smoker before legalization has stuck with their old hookups, largely because of price. IMO, I think if CO cut the tax rate in half, it would but a huge dent in the black market. I said it earlier somewhere in this thread, but this may be one of the very few instances were the laffer curve might actually represent reality.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is where the Oregon measure looks really good. Because of the quantity the state is well aware exists, they plan to undercut the street price including taxes so the incentive is to go to the store.

From what I read, CO was like 100% or more markup above street price. I don't know what the CO street selection is like, but with all the "excess" medical floating around here in Oregon, it's pretty damn good. Maybe less selection and a sometimes a pain in the ass vs going to the store. But if the store price is twice as much as what Steve in the park has, I think you would see the same issue as CO is seeing with only new smokers and tourists shopping the mall stores.

<edit> The idea is $130+20 taxes/oz X a billion vs $300+$150 taxes/oz X a million. The taxes are made from quantity of purchases with most of the purchases being legit. Also using existing stores/growers as well as new stores/growers to feed demand.

Washington has been having price issues because of lack of supply. Too few growers to meet demand.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dammit, I will fill out and drop my ballot off this weekend, I swear.

I still find it odd that in a state like Oregon where everyone votes by mail that there is still such a low turnout when compared to places that require more effort to vote.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Lets see how 91 does today. Everyone seems to think it will pass, but will the stoners remember to turn in their ballot by 8:00 tonight?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What's funny is when I went to bed 2 years ago it was passing and had failed by the morning. I was almost scared to look this morning. :rofl:

In one of the most hotly debated measures on the ballot in Oregon, voters made a decision on the legalization of marijuana.

Measure 91 has passed, according to Fox 12 political analyst Tim Hibbitts.

The passage of Measure 91 means that starting July 1, 2015, adults over 21 years old will be able to possess up to 8 ounces of marijuana at home, according to the Oregon Voter's Guide, but only one ounce away from home.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fucking brilliant congress. Correct me if I am wrong but this measure essentially legalizes possession but leaves the supply chain in the hands of criminals. As seen in Wa and Co, illegal supplies are probably cheaper. This will basically provide a more plentiful uncontrolled untaxed supply in place. Reaping none of the benefits of legalization while increasing many of the negative impacts of marijuana.

Legislation based on ideology, not common sense or what is best for the actual people. How many of these morons spew on about Democracy, Freedumb, libertarianism, reduced intrusion from the federal government?

U.S. spending bill bans funds to legalize marijuana in Washington, DC

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Fucking brilliant congress. Correct me if I am wrong but this measure essentially legalizes possession but leaves the supply chain in the hands of criminals. As seen in Wa and Co, illegal supplies are probably cheaper. This will basically provide a more plentiful uncontrolled untaxed supply in place. Reaping none of the benefits of legalization while increasing many of the negative impacts of marijuana.

Legislation based on ideology, not common sense or what is best for the actual people. How many of these morons spew on about Democracy, Freedumb, libertarianism, reduced intrusion from the federal government?

U.S. spending bill bans funds to legalize marijuana in Washington, DC
It also contains this. We may need a Syadasti irony ruling.

*edit: Just realized that a link to NORML might not be kosher for some of your work places so here is the text:

"The final version of the House omnibus appropriations bill includes the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment, which was approved by the House of Representatives earlier this year. The amendment restricts the Department of Justice and the Drug Enforcement Administration from using taxpayer funds to interfere in state-sanctioned medical marijuana programs in the 20+ states that have enacted them.

NORML supporters have rallied in favor of this provision, with over 22,000 emails and countless direct calls being directed at federal lawmakers regarding the amendment this year.

“This amendment is an important step towards relieving the tension between federal and state policy when it comes to medical marijuana,” stated NORML Communications Director Erik Altieri, “By restricting these agencies in this manner, the nearly two dozen states that implemented medical marijuana programs can hopefully breathe easier knowing federal money won’t be spent to interfere with their progress. We hope this leads to further reforms at the federal level further enshrining this sentiment into law.”

The House is expect to hold a final vote on this bill in the next couple of days, with a Senate vote to follow.

- See more at: http://blog.norml.org/2014/12/09/federal-omnibus-includes-amendment-to-prohibit-dojdea-from-interfering-with-state-medical-marijuana/#sthash.5i7H9sfn.dpuf"

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Lets see what the local to me Rez has to say about this,

http://www.goldendalesentinel.com/story/2014/11/19/news/yakama-nation-still-seeks-to-outlaw-pot-on-ceded-lands/5081.html

"Know this: If you do not like and respect our laws and our police, all we have to do is call our federal partners to assist us. Both tribal law and federal law are consistent in this regard. Further, our treaty requires us to turn over those that commit depredations on our lands to the federal government. That we will do!" - Harry Smiskin, Chairman, Yakama Nation

I wonder if he's still going to keep fighting it.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
"Avila told investigators that he used two pounds of the marijuana to train his police dog in February 2014, and when pressed, he acknowledged there may be more in the trunk of his K-9 patrol car or at his house," The Times reports.

Amazingly, officials at the Richmond Police Department said Avila probably won't be charged with any crime, citing evidence too weak to produce a conviction.
Evidence not black enough?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
waaahh! we're stuck in the 19th century and dont like change.waaaahh!
Two neighboring states are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to strike down Colorado's laws legalizing recreational marijuana.

The Colorado attorney general's office says the states of Nebraska and Oklahoma have filed the lawsuit directly with the nation's highest court. The attorney general's office says the lawsuit alleges "that Colorado's Amendment 64 and its implementing legislation regarding recreational marijuana is unconstitutional under the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution."

Colorado Attorney General John Suthers said in a statement that he will defend the state's legalization of marijuana.
"Because neighboring states have expressed concern about Colorado-grown marijuana coming into their states, we are not entirely surprised by this action," Suthers said. "However, it appears the plaintiffs' primary grievance stems from non-enforcement of federal laws regarding marijuana, as opposed to choices made by the voters of Colorado. We believe this suit is without merit and we will vigorously defend against it in the U.S. Supreme Court."

http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_27163543/nebraska-and-oklahoma-sue-colorado-over-marijuana-legalization

god, why cant PA have a AG with a backbone and the fortitude to do her job that she was elected to do

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So Nebraska and Oklahoma are concerned with people bringing legal CO weed into their states. Hmmm, like anyone buying weed would stop in either state. They obviously have over estimated their tourist appeal.