Quantcast

Tokyo - What to do and see?

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I'm headed to Tokyo and Shibukawa for meetings next month. I have two days of free time to kill in Tokyo before I come home. What do I go see? Where can I get a Samurai sword and drift cars? (kidding)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Akihabara district, edo museum, and the Imperial Palace are a few that come to mind. im looking forward to finally be going back next year

Last edited:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Honestly try to find a day that is less expensive to fly back, tell your boss to book that day and charge the customer full price and spend an extra week there.
That's free travel right there.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Get some Sushi. I hear it's pretty good over there. Make sure you ask for it well done otherwise they will pass off some raw crap that will make you vomit.

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
Tsukiji Fish Market - Sushi breakfast

Head over here "35.663719, 139.769501" (google map search). You'll see two queues, get on either ;)

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Cops stand in front of their police stations with these big ass cane poles to discourage public intoxication.
You be swerving they start hitting. Never seen it but my japanese friends say it happens.
I think your friend might be feeding you a line there.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I go to most everywhere with very little local knowledge. I wing it most of the time.... I always manage to have fun where ever I go...

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Tsukiji, early in the morning, then back in that area at night for really fresh sushi
Harajuku, just to see it
Shinjuku at night
Kabuki-cho at night can be sketchy. Get an insider
Royal palace
Tokyu hands was actually pretty cool
Yokohama was ok
Asakusa was a cool area, way cool temple. Kamiya bar nearby is one of the oldest, great experience.
Get a suica card, best way to get around on the subway
Ginza to walk around and see high end shopping.

Tons of great parks to hangout in, can't remember the names, one was in shinjuku close to our apartment

For food:
Sushi is a must
Tonkatsu is a must. I prefer Tonki, near the ebisu station on the yamanote (green) line
Ramen is a must. Any ramen stand close to a train station is typically good. If you can find kohmen, I like that. There are places in harajuku and roppongi that I have been to, get the spicy stuff.
For authentic ramen, I like ramen jiro, a few blocks north of shijuku station.

There are a ton of lunch counter type places that you pay first then sit down. They have a machine, usually with pictures by the door. Pay, get your ticket then sit down.

Make sure you have cash, fewer places take cards.

If you can find okonomiyaki get it, normally it is an Osaka dish.

Also if you can get a unagi bowl get one, especially around may when it is in season.

Also go to shibuya one night, very cool lights. And say hi to hachicko.

Google all of that stuff. Enjoy it.

Also my website has tons of pictures of japan. Www.austinbike.com

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Awesome response mate. I'm planning on hitting Tokyo in July like a tubby Australian Godzilla. Thanks for the heads up.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Awesome response mate. I'm planning on hitting Tokyo in July like a tubby Australian Godzilla. Thanks for the heads up.
Plenty of breathable clothes mate, hotter than Satan's bar and grill that time of year, hit a beer garden if you can. Lots of fun.