Quantcast

Tolt riding area being sold - will we lose access?

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Fellow riders -

I have been notified that Ames Lake Tree Farm is going to be put up for auction with bids due on November 15. The area being sold is 428 acres of what we consider the Tolt MacDonald riding area. We knew that Port Blakely Tree Farms, the current owner, was interesting in selling the land to consolidate their holdings in the South Sound region.

I was hoping to bring government forces together and get the land into public ownership, but their short timeline makes this an impossibility. When I talked to them last month it sounded like they may sell it off in 5 to 8 smaller parcels, but I am unsure if this is still their plan.

King County owns the development rights to the land, so there will never be homes there. However, it is private land and it is unknown whether the new owners will continue to allow public access.

I would imagine that the entire parcel will go for under $1 million, but it is hard to know the actual value since this is a fairly unique parcel. It is too small for a large logging company, and without development rights the value is probably hard to establish.

If you are a wealthy biker, please buy this land! I will work with you over the course of the next several years to get King County or the Trust for Public land to purchase the land from you. There is no guarantee, but the impact we could make for mountain biking in Washington would be enormous. We could, over time, have an older growth forest and a great place to ride.

Please pass this on to every mountain biker you know who may be able to purchase all, or some, of this prime mountain biking area.

Thank you,

Justin Vander Pol
Executive Director
Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club
http://bbtc.org
206-524-2900

Do you want more mountain bike trails? Join today at http://www.bbtc.org/php/show_page.php?page_id=45

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
So, Juice, any way to get all these fired up mountain bikers to do something constructive about this? It's pretty obvious that we won't be able to pony up the money for any of the property. So, I suppose the next thing is to find out what the intentions of the new owners are and see what we can do about that. Right?

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Borneo - not much individuals can do on this right now unless you've got $50k+ to invest. We're talking with an investment group, but on this short of timeline it's a long shot.

Here's more info about the Tolt situation

This really highlights why we MUST get more trails on public land. We're working our butts off right now on several new projects. Official projects can take 3, 5, even 10 years to work out, but once you've got them they're there to stay.

We also need to get Tiger open year-round since we have hardly any good riding on public land that is open in the winter. So what does this mean?

Come out to workparties

Join BBTC

Make a donation
- big, small, whatever. It all helps.

We are doing a LOT right now. Some of it is behind the scenes, but call me and I'll give you the goods. I just can't announce plans publicly until we actually have a signed piece of paper since until something is signed it's impossible to guess how many years it'll take to make it official.

Justin
BBTC Executive Director
206-524-2900
justin@bbtc.org.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Was listening to the news the other moring on our way down to ride in Oregon (ironic in a way).
They were talkin' about some deal between the Port of Seattle (I think) and the county (again, I think). I don't remember the details but what I took away from it was that the Port has like $200,000,000 to spend on greenspace type stuff as part of a land swap or something or other.
I do remember they said "$200mil" and "recreation" in the same coversation.
Sounds like a good place to start?