Quantcast

Tomac 204 lawill bolt through? Stratos El Jefe?

ride1988

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
Hey

Am lookin to upgrade the shock on my tomac 204. I have ideas for raising the rear shock plate to allow for a larger spring diameter, but this means that a piggyback on a possible shock is a no go, must have a remote reservoir.

So opinions on these shocks, and if anyone has the spring diameter handy, that would be very usefull.

Secondly, does anybody kno if its possible to fit say either schwinn or yeti dropouts to the tomac? to make it into a bolt through rear end?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
How about the Swinger 6 remote (gaint) setup? I've actually got one setup on one of our 04 Rotec dh9's and it works quite nicely though the i2i is a bit long at 9x 2.75. With a 3.2:1 leverage ratio you'll get 9"s of travel. Though i'am not sure what the 204 ratio is but i believe its lower.

A .25 spacer plate below the lower shock mount is the best route for your tomac.

Cheers

ride1988

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
Hey cheers mate, thats exactly what i needed to hear. How much are the remote swingers, my friend pointed out a pic of one on a giant, didnt even think they were availible. Where would i be able to get hold of one? Cheers.

ride1988

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
Manchester UK. Its a 2000 Lawill. The current shock is such a squeeze, hence why the next shock if i allowed for larger spring diameter, has to have a remote reservoir..

ride1988

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
No money to race, no means of transport to get there....No willpower to race....No brakes on bike lol.

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Are you still running the manitou bazooka shock? what a piece that is. How about a floater? You need a floater for sure, and we have a fix for that as well but you'll have to tweek the rear link to make it happen.

I don't believe the Yeti link will work though, i can check as I have both the link and a Yeti frame on hand as well as access to a lawwill 204.

The lawwill's are by far my favorite frame design. btw what did you think of our Rotec dh9 in DIRT this past month?

ride1988

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
Havent read dirt yet, i generally rob it off my mate when we go riding, and both havent been in a while.

Yeah the manitou is a right bastard, its so unfortunate they took one of the bets frame designs, and the onyl shock they could fit was one of those.

Havent got a floater on there atm, but would be a nice. What sort of fix and how much tweaking? Bearing in mind im on a bit of a budget, and shock was what im mainly aimign to upgrade..

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
They're actually not available to the public as aftermarket from Manitou only to OE's like ourselves. You can try Giant though.

If you find yourself really desiring one I may be in a postion to help. Whats the i2i is the 204 btw?

Remember those 204s already had a somewhat steeper headangle, any i2i longer then the orginal will steepen your rig even further.

John

ride1988

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
The i2i is 9", i dont plan to put a shock in with a longer i2i, as it all seems well and good at the moment, but this shock really does define ****e, plus no floater on Lawill is never a good thing.

What sort of cost am i lookin at for the floating brake set up?

Thanks for the help with the manitous, this shock is on its way out, i may have to enquire further lol. Cheers.

Adrian

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
its quite simple really, you'll machine the tabs off to make clearance for the floater. The floater is a mod'ed Brake Threrapy piece.

If you contact Brian at Brake Therapy he can sort you out as he's done this already for my mate here. And it actually wasn't too bad cost wise though it still was over 100usd's but man does that make a world of differance.

Not having to deal with Brake jack on that lawwill setup is the key.

I'd see about doing that instead of the shock, its a bastard piece for sure but for the dollars spent the floater will by far be to best improvement performance wise you can do to the 204 at this time.

What till later to spend money on the shock when you've got extra cash.

John

ride1988

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
Brilliant cheers mate. I emailed brake therapy a while back enquiring if they did a floater for my tomac on a hope bulb, and they said they do, im just trying to find the email to get the price they quoted me. It would be cheaper to get a floater set up than to upgrade the shock, i may do that.

ride1988

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
This is the reply i got....

"Adrian,

We do have a floater kit that works with that bike and hub, but it must use
a Hayes 22mm caliper. Retail price is $295.00.

Brian"

However, i run hope mono4s, i dont really intend to change to hayes after very bad previous experiances lol.

luke p

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
John Sullivan` said:
How about the Swinger 6 remote (gaint) setup? I've actually got one setup on one of our 04 Rotec dh9's and it works quite nicely though the i2i is a bit long at 9x 2.75. With a 3.2:1 leverage ratio you'll get 9"s of travel. Though i'am not sure what the 204 ratio is but i believe its lower.

A .25 spacer plate below the lower shock mount is the best route for your tomac.

Cheers
where can the spacer plate be bought?

luke p

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
So did u replace the shock on your before you bought the race link. have you hot any pics?

luke p

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
only just looked back on here. after about 6 months. tomac pics please. ive just blown my bazooka and going to try fit a romic.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Pau11y said:
Hey Parts, when are you parting out yours? Let me know if you're still into letting go of your Avy. I can send you a RC to take its place if you need something to stuff in there after selling the Avy.
i m not sure paully, but i ll let ya know

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Sandwich said:
bump for any shocks that work?
I installed an Avy DHS3x9" on my old Lawwill 204, and ended up with 222mm of travel.
Needed an 8mm spacer under the shock mount.