Quantcast

Tomac and Honda (Gearbox bike)

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I hope this isn't just a tease and there's some substance behind this. A Tomac/Honda collaboration could have an interesting and desirable outcome.

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
If it keeps it out of harms way, gets rid of chainslap, doesn't become a over-technical nightmare (like some gearboxes out there), I think it's great personally.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The honda bike was one of the most intriguing bikes of years past. Someone bringing this to market sure would be interesting.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
where are the tomac pimps around here, anyways? tell us what's good, buddies...

really wouldn't mind a gearbox bike, so long as it shifts without pedaling. otherwise it's a bit of a waste IMO.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hell has frozen over! Dood from Nebraska thinks he can do a better job of bringing a gearbox bike to production than the enginerds at Honda? Awesome.

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
I always wondered if the honda gearbox was just a derailleur and cassette in a box. I guess this potentially answers my question.
I can't remember if they applied for a patent, or they got the patent, but IIRC Honda designed an infinite gearbox. I saw the design and it gave you any gearing you wanted between preset max-high and max-low gears. I don't know if they used it at all, but I know they went to a derailleur in a box at some point.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
Tomac is the last brand i thought would have worked with Honda/Showa.
Joel is on this forum sometimes. Maybe he will provide some facts to this questionable project.
Maybe this picture makes more sense now.

Remember Honda at keystone not to long ago

Last edited: