Quantcast

tonic fab 26er Howie

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
It does look low in that photo. I think that's because of my brilliant photography. Notice how "level" the work bench is?
The bike has 1" of BB drop, with an 80mm fork, so it's the same BB height as a Fall Guy..12.5 to 12.75 depending on tires. Cru, I noticed your Simple (which looks really amazing) has very little, or no BB drop. BB height was a detail I wasn't so sure about with the Howie. I can see advantages to both higher and lower BBs. BB drop is one of the biggest differences between the Howie and the Fall Guy. I don't believe there's a definitive "right" answer. So far, riders have really liked the Howie's geometry, so we'll stick with this BB height for the moment.
Yeah, my bike has zero BB drop. I like it, it was huge difference from the 11.8 BB on my old P3. I would still like to try something with a little bit of BB rise on 26" wheels. Like 13.5 to 14, just to see what that's like. I think Dobermann's are that way. But, 12.5 - 12.75 should be fine, that's seems pretty standard for these types of bikes. What's the chain stay length? Looks as short as you could get it, which is rad.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
It's hard to see, but the chainstay yoke is a 1/4# lighter than the Fall Guy. No revolutions, but a lot of little refinements.
landon
any chance the new fall guys down the line will get these refinements?
the howies look amazing and the new weights you posted are impressive.

Vinny A

Chimp
May 25, 2007
Philly
Haha yeah Guy is unique, I have never seen someone run bars that big on a Urban/DJ bike. Kinda cool though, and hes a really good rider too.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
How big are those bars in fact? I dont know how he does what he does (ie turndowns, x-ups, etc...)
wider bars will make turndowns easier but not x's. I didn't see any x's in that vid. I would imagine if he can get x's done w/ 32" bars he'll be pretty bow-legged.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
He does x-ups with those bars and they're actually pretty good. I'll try and dig up a pic...

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
So, how much longer do we have to see full production of this frame? I've got cash and it's itchin to be spent on a new Tonic.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
So, how much longer do we have to see full production of this frame?
If everything works out, the Howie will be available in August.

Here's an x-up on his old set-up:

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Landon posted these up on his blog today.

nice tight, clean, low weight drop out/disc mount.

Am I seeing a Euro BB? It looks like a threaded cup on the far side

Landon wasn't kidding about the rear tire clearance

sweet!

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
I want one of these sooo bad. I'm in position to build a new rig, and I'm waiting til August just to start with the Howie. It's a pain unlike I've ever had before.