Quantcast

Tonights Pizza

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I made dough yesterday. This was hand stretched to 14 inches and cooked at 500 for 8 minutes.

Toppings were roasted poblano peppers, jalapeno, herbed goat cheese, mozzarella, chedder, onion and fresh basil. The sauce I made from Hunts tomato sauce, garlic, sugar, salt/pepper, dried oregano and dried onions.

Very tastey.

before

after

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Oh yea. Made the flour by grinding the wheat. I did a room temp ferment w/ half the flour and all the water, with a tiny bit of yeast. Next day, I added the rest of the flour, sugar, salt and a bit more yeast. kneeded by hand and shaped the dough balls.
Another six hours of room temp rise. I made the mozzerella cheese while waiting for them to rise. Pizza stone in oven and cranked to high for an hour, which is only 500 degrees.

I paired it with a homebrewed pale ale.

Topped with the homemade cheese, a tiny amount of chedder, onion, jalapeno and fresh basil.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
PNJ,

How'd you make the mozz. I got inspired by your post and tried making some this past weekend using a recipe i found on instructables.com, but the end result didnt look anything like mozz.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
wtf, do I know you? :)

I have a stone. it's probably older than you are. I don't use it often because I found that at 500 degrees, it's not really hot enough to do anything but waste energy from heating up the oven for an hour+

Oven only goes to 500. I'm not breaking the oven/auto clean to go higher.

Did you only read the first post?

You didn't see the picture with the pizza that I ground the wheat, made the dough and made the cheese? AND made the beer?

I learned a long time ago that the only thing that matters is if I and my family like what I make...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
wtf, do I know you? :)

I have a stone. it's probably older than you are. I don't use it often because I found that at 500 degrees, it's not really hot enough to do anything but waste energy from heating up the oven for an hour+

Oven only goes to 500. I'm not breaking the oven/auto clean to go higher.

Did you only read the first post?

You didn't see the picture with the pizza that I ground the wheat, made the dough and made the cheese? AND made the beer?

I learned a long time ago that the only thing that matters is if I and my family like what I make...
I bake all the sandwich rolls and sandwich breads in our oven on Stainless die cut trays (screens). Those pies look awesome....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Lost track of time and burned both pies I made tonight. Dropped the other ball of dough on the floor while attempting to make replacements. $10 in cheese alone. $5 in meat and deli. Bad Tomato season begins today at the Public Market apparently. I mean they had nothing there today.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Finally made a good pie. Scalloped potato and Steak with Gouda and Green onions and Hungarian peppers. Cooked on the grilll.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Excellent, well cooked pepperoni is a good source of nitrated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons :D

Edit just noticed this since I decided to google on pizza with PAHs: http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-health-news/pomace-pizza/19471
I am from Buffalo New York. One of the most toxic urban environments on the planet. If I am going to die of something it will be my exposure to that, not pepperoni which I consume so infrequently as to be very little concern to me. I however have curtailed my consumption of Cocoa Puffs. I think they are really bad for you. Just a hunch I have.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Though many levels below PNJ's rad creations, I will chime in, because I believe this thread is almost as good of an idea as the "post a picture of your dog" thread.
Tonight we will make bread machine dough, with safeway (generic) brand sauce. However, I am figuring out how to make it not so watery (a major failure of most home-made pizzas I've had).
1. I pre-cook the dough and the sauce for a few minutes to burn off the moisture.
2.Then we end it with a few minutes of "broil", and make sure to use PLENTY of cheese.
Those are my totally amateur tips, but we've been having fun improving. Maybe one day will have a pizza stove in the back yard and I'll be a total snob about it like rideit. One can dream. Pictures to follow.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Sausage, Onion, and Mushroom. Just a shmootz of sauce and tonnes of Olive oil and Garlic. Cooked the Mushrooms in Butter and wine. Square pie with Locatelli instead of Mozz.. Wished I had some sweet peppers on it or used less spicy more finely ground sausage.

Take your raw thin sliced onions and soak them in very sugary water before you top your pie with them.

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i have had pizza every day for the last four-ish days.. and in no way is that a bad thing.

as a matter of a fact, i am eating some now. not as good as the OPs pizza though!

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
water, flour, salt, yeast and water. no need to buy bread , ever.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Excellent, well cooked pepperoni is a good source of nitrated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons :D

Edit just noticed this since I decided to google on pizza with PAHs: http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-health-news/pomace-pizza/19471
Generally the pies I make for myself are Pepperoni free. I however use lots of cheap Olive Oil. I have a good source for uncured Guanciale. But if I make pies for others I have to cater to their requests. Usually when folks try Guanciale. They agree it is delicious. I try to use the best ingredients I can find. To most folks with kids pizza is cheese and pepperoni. Not much I can do about that. My favorite pie right now is meatball, onions, and mushroom. I make the meatballs. I make them into 5 inch rolls and slice them on the bias after baking them. Cento tomatoes too. I now make all my pies in a blue steel pan. I like the consistency over stones and dirty ovens. I had a stone blow up on me and it sucked. I appreciate your concern...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Jamaican drunken grilled shrimp and sweet potato (Baked sweet potatoes scooped out and plopped on the pie) pizza. With Jerk salsa sauce instead of sauce. Basically Jerk sauce with chopped plum tomatoes. Gouda and Muenster cheese instead of Mozz.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
my stone is almost 20 years old. I remember when I purchased it, some old lady in the store said, "good luck cleaning that thing..".

fuck you, cunt. I've never cleaned it.

new rule. if you post in this thread. POST PICS!!

Went to work today, they had pizza for us. Of course I had 3 slices.