Quantcast

Tonite's Cocktail Selection (Warning: Martini content)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
11,007
149
The Cleft of Venus


Magellan Gin

I picked up a 750ml bottle for $28 tonite. I love gin martinis (the only 'real' martini for old schoolers). I enjoy Bombay Saphire and Tanqueray No. Ten so when I saw a bottle I'd not seen before at the liquor store I was interested. I love the fact that Magellan Gin is blue... it's as blue as the glass of a Bombay Saphire bottle thanks to the fourth distillation where the gin is infused with the Iris roots and flowers.

I mixed my cocktail in a stainless steel shaker which contained a slow-eight count pour of gin and a half dozen ice cubes. I shake my martinis hard enough to bruise the gin and infuse ice crystals into it.

It was then poured into a nice martini glass which I'd chilled and garnished with a twist of lime peel.

The taste is fantastic. It is quite complex... it isn't as sharp as Bombay Saphire and it doesn't have quite the citrus taste the Tanqueray does. I like the hint of liquorice in the after taste.

If you are a gin fan, I recommend you give Magellan Precious Gin a try.
 

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
269
0
On the asthenosphere
Thanks for sharing this treasure. There is nothing finer than a good martini that has been shaken. Right now is scotch season for me, or bourbon. You take the approach I do when making a martini, it is like watching an opera. Everything is carefully orchestrated, ice crystals form upon the shaking in the stainless steel shaker, and there is a momentary bit of froth in the liquid as it is decanted into a martini glass. So, again thank you for sharing the experience, and I will look for Magellan in the store.:thumb:
 

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
9,909
331
NORCAL is the hizzle
Well call me a snob but if you ask for a martini at my bar you are going to get gin. Most people specify the brand anyway, but still.

On a side note, someone I work with referred to clear cocktails as "see throughs" today, I thought it was funny. As in "We had a few see throughs before be moved to the wine."
 

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
269
0
On the asthenosphere
N8 said:
I am no martini snob since I enjoy a vodka martini as well as gin.
Switching gears a little, I have some Indio Marionberry vodka in the freezer as we speak. I took 1 oz. of it and 1 oz. of Yukon Jack, splash of cranberry juice and a twist of lemon to create this thing I call a Yukon Punch. And punch it does. Hard, if you are not careful. It is a little foo-foo for me to drink everyday, but good for the summer evenings as the sun has just gone down and the warm air is still in your face. I prefer the bite of the goods sans "juice" most of the time. Will get pics of a martini tonight (hopefully).
 

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
11,007
149
The Cleft of Venus
Meat Foot said:
Switching gears a little, I have some Indio Marionberry vodka in the freezer as we speak. I took 1 oz. of it and 1 oz. of Yukon Jack, splash of cranberry juice and a twist of lemon to create this thing I call a Yukon Punch. And punch it does. Hard, if you are not careful. It is a little foo-foo for me to drink everyday, but good for the summer evenings as the sun has just gone down and the warm air is still in your face. I prefer the bite of the goods sans "juice" most of the time. Will get pics of a martini tonight (hopefully).
Ever since I spent a year and a half in the Aleutian Islands back in the early 80's, I've has a soft spot in my heart for Yukon Jack. God, i drank a lot of that mixed in Coke. I still love the taste but I haven't bought a bottle of it in over 15 years. I will though.
 

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
269
0
On the asthenosphere
N8 said:
Ever since I spent a year and a half in the Aleutian Islands back in the early 80's, I've has a soft spot in my heart for Yukon Jack. God, i drank a lot of that mixed in Coke. I still love the taste but I haven't bought a bottle of it in over 15 years. I will though.
:thumb: Good stuff. Scary part, my wife turned me onto the stuff.
 

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
11,007
149
The Cleft of Venus
Martini was quite good!

I just made a N8 White Russian for cocktail #2:

Skyy vanilla vodka
Tia Maria
Kalua
dash of Butter Shots
1% milk

Mix in a tumbler of crushed ice and enjoy!
 

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
11,007
149
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
"bruise the gin"

N8, you're drunk.
You might wanna stick to being a music snob... :p


The concept of "bruising the gin" as a result of shaking a martini is an oft-debated topic. A shaken martini is different from stirred for a few reasons. The shaking action breaks up the ice and adds more water, slightly weakening the drink but rounding the taste. Shaking also adds tiny air bubbles, which can lead to a cloudy drink instead of clear.
 

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
7,796
42
Japan
Your posts suck drunk or sober. Suggest you try large doses of herion. Oh yeah, where's my martini lightbulb boy.
 

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
11,007
149
The Cleft of Venus
I use vermouth in my martinis... I wave it's unopened bottle in the general direction of my shaker for a second or two... then quickly place it back in the bar.


:p
 

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
269
0
On the asthenosphere
N8 said:
I use vermouth in my martinis... I wave it's unopened bottle in the general direction of my shaker for a second or two... then quickly place it back in the bar.


:p
Details, it is in a "well" stocked bar. LOL! Need to make a list for the weekend....
Magellan
Stoli (nearly out of the Indio stuff)
Some bourbon (Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve:drool: ...choices)
 

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
9,909
331
NORCAL is the hizzle
N8 said:
I use vermouth in my martinis... I wave it's unopened bottle in the general direction of my shaker for a second or two... then quickly place it back in the bar.


:p

I do the old trick where I splash some vermouth in the glass then dump it before adding the BRUISED gin. :thumb:
 

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
633
0
Walla Walla State Pen
gotta admit I'm new to the 'tini scene. so new in fact that a friend just found out and couldn't go on knowing I didn't have any martini glasses and bought me some within 24 hours.....
Not sure they're the ones I'd have picked but the box says 'Waterford' on it and they came with a matching shaker. Can't have too many shakers.
 

Attachments

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
11,007
149
The Cleft of Venus
Qman said:
gotta admit I'm new to the 'tini scene. so new in fact that a friend just found out and couldn't go on knowing I didn't have any martini glasses and bought me some within 24 hours.....
Not sure they're the ones I'd have picked but the box says 'Waterford' on it and they came with a matching shaker. Can't have too many shakers.

Make sure you fill your glass to the rim... it's the proper way to serve a martini... none of this half filled crap that a lot of bars are doing these days... :mad: