Quantcast

Tonite's unique liquor purchases

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MizN8 and I went to a wine, booze and food tasting tonite and I picked up a couple of cool items.

First up is Blavod:

This vodka is black. Tastes very, very smooth... the coolness of a totally black martini is irrestiable to me, so I had to have a bottle. Too bad I didn't know about it for Halloween. It's black color is achieved with Black Catechu, a herb from Burma, creating a smooth and soft vodka. Priced at $30/750ml
Link: http://www.blackvodka.com/

Next was was a cognac introduced this fall by the makers of Grand Marnier called Navan. It is a blend of fine cognac and natural black vanilla from Madagascar. It's a dry, flavorful 80-proof bottle of yumminess! Cost: $40/750ml

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
N8 said:
MizN8 and I went to a wine, booze and food tasting tonite and I picked up a couple of cool items.
This is my only unique stuff right now. You have to like pears, but if you do, this stuff is really intense. About $40 for the big bottle.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
N8 said:
First up is Blavod:

This vodka is black. Tastes very, very smooth... the coolness of a totally black martini is irrestiable to me, so I had to have a bottle. Too bad I didn't know about it for Halloween. It's black color is achieved with Black Catechu, a herb from Burma, creating a smooth and soft vodka. Priced at $30/750ml
Link: http://www.blackvodka.com/
That stuff is so nasty!

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
SkaredShtles said:
Do you know the meaning of the word "unique"? :think: :p
Oh sure I do. I was using it in the more colloquial sense, as in:

unique: unlike anything else

I assume that you are attempting to call me out on my usage, because you adhere to the more strict mathematically derived usage:

SPECIAL USAGE There is a set of adjectives—including unique, complete, equal, and perfect —whose core meaning embraces a mathematically absolute concept and which therefore, according to a traditional argument, cannot be modified, or applied to multiple items or categories which include more than one item.

Of course, I could make the argument that the Williams Pear Brandy IS unique, as, as far as I know, it is the only traditional, European style pear brandy being produced from Oregon organic fruit, in the Pacific North west.... but this is Ridemonkey, and a more casual use of the language is perfectly acceptable.
:p :D

Oh, and please disregard this message, if you were talking to N8.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
SkaredShtles said:
Which kind of begs the question...........

what's the point? :confused:
Besides drinking at work you mean? :devil:

I like to use it because it is so neutral, you can use it to give any drink a kick without changing the flavor substantially.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
SkaredShtles said:
So does it matter - cheap, expensive? Popov gives a kick?

I'm just curious, because I don't drink vodka.
I like Spudka, it is made locally very good and only $12 per fifth. Kettle One is also good and only runs about $20.

I have also heard that you can run cheap vodka through a brita filter and it greatly improves the taste.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
N8 said:
BS. Vodka has flavor. Some vodkas are better than others but all have a flavor.
I have noticed that while the "feeling" of a vodka differs, there is essentially no real taste to them. Some seem to be a bit sweeter than others, and some are not as smooth as they could be. I think that is just a by-product of how they are distilled, and if they are derived from grain or potatos or whatever.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
BS. Vodka has flavor. Some vodkas are better than others but all have a flavor.
kinda like how water has a taste? :think:

i guess the water taste is primarily derived from trace inorganics such as salts and other ions...vodka though should be free of excipients, no? so other than water and ethanol, what would remain?